Author Topic: Next FVM Gevo's are here.  (Read 12850 times)

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
Re: Next FVM Gevo's are here.
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2010, 11:20:29 AM »
Unfortunately, my compressor does not have a pressure gauge.  I just use whatever air comes out.

Daryl

Same here.  I've never had any issues using ModelFlex or any others.  It's all about keeping the brush moving, and light multiple coats. 

Sometimes, I think we make parts of this hobby too complex.   ;)
~ Matt

ljudice

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2010, 11:41:26 AM »
Honestly, I hate Modelflex - except for certain touch up brushing applications. Half the jars I ever bought were jelly (freezing in transit to LHS).  With the exception of their oxide red or boxcar red, none of them gave a 100% consistent finish. Very, very dependent upon the model or primer finish. Look at it wrong and it's a mass of drips. Look at it another way and it comes out sputtering.

If you're new to Modelflex, you should practice on several test cases with the colors you intend to use!

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 11:43:59 AM by ljudice »

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2010, 12:35:16 PM »
Honestly, I hate Modelflex - except for certain touch up brushing applications. Half the jars I ever bought were jelly (freezing in transit to LHS).  With the exception of their oxide red or boxcar red, none of them gave a 100% consistent finish. Very, very dependent upon the model or primer finish. Look at it wrong and it's a mass of drips. Look at it another way and it comes out sputtering.

If you're new to Modelflex, you should practice on several test cases with the colors you intend to use!

I wonder if this is a regional thing. I have yet to have a bad Modelflex bottle that has froze or jelled like others have posted photos of, and I keep mine stored in the layout room, which is unheated (well until I get the baseboard heaters installed next month). I consistently get very nice results from Modelflex when I airbrush with my Badger Universal. I more often have issues with Polyscale when I airbrush...but thats user error because most time I do not get the consistency right when I thin it.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2010, 08:04:23 PM »
I've been contemplating purchasing a few Kato sd40-2s and painting them Union Pacific.  Main thing holding me back is painting the handrails.  I have a lot of experience with airbrushing Floquil enamels and zero experience with the Modelflex paints needed for handrails.  Anyway, if this holds true about FVM doing a SD40-2 I'll need to rethink the whole idea.

Looking foward to recieving my two UP Gevos.

Daryl

Daryl,

I still have a few brand new UP SD40-2's that I haven't converted to Florida East Coast yet.  These are the DB versions if your interested and have Digitrax Decoders installed.

Brian
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

rochsub

• Crew
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2010, 06:47:57 AM »
I've been contemplating purchasing a few Kato sd40-2s and painting them Union Pacific.  Main thing holding me back is painting the handrails.  I have a lot of experience with airbrushing Floquil enamels and zero experience with the Modelflex paints needed for handrails.  Anyway, if this holds true about FVM doing a SD40-2 I'll need to rethink the whole idea.

Looking foward to recieving my two UP Gevos.

Daryl

Daryl,

I still have a few brand new UP SD40-2's that I haven't converted to Florida East Coast yet.  These are the DB versions if your interested and have Digitrax Decoders installed.

Brian

Thanks so much for the offer Brian.  I already have 4 of the Kato sd40-2 and was hoping any addition units would be the later versions and not the mid version.  I think I'll wait a while and see if FVM comes through and if not, paint a couple of the later versions myself.

Daryl

ljudice

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2010, 07:36:27 AM »
Ian - I wonder that too - but my experience was from several years ago - so maybe I should give the stuff another try. 

I desperately wanted it to work, since I think it's safer and easier stuff to handle than Scalecoat II - but I always had runs when painting black and dark colors - and lots and lots of coverage problems with light colors. Since those days I learned a lot about priming and base coats though, so I ought to try the stuff again.

I only do painting in late spring/summer - since I do it outside on warm days, so this test will have to wait.

bsoplinger

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2010, 10:54:10 PM »
Same experience as Ian had, good results with Modelflex and less favorable with PolyScale. Even when brushing. I like the thinness of the coating I get with Modelflex. Even when thinned for airbrushing I find PolyScale obscures details way more than Modelflex even had.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2010, 08:23:48 AM »
Ian - I wonder that too - but my experience was from several years ago - so maybe I should give the stuff another try. 

I desperately wanted it to work, since I think it's safer and easier stuff to handle than Scalecoat II - but I always had runs when painting black and dark colors - and lots and lots of coverage problems with light colors. Since those days I learned a lot about priming and base coats though, so I ought to try the stuff again.

I only do painting in late spring/summer - since I do it outside on warm days, so this test will have to wait.

There were issues with ModelFlex when it first came out years ago.  But the formulas of the last five years or so I've never had a problem with.  It applies evenly, dries quickly and doesn't obscure detail, and the behavior is consistent regardless of the pigment color.  Accu-Paint used to be my paint of choice, but you had to vary the process based on the paint pigment.  With the ModelFlex you don't.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

jaretos

• Respect: 0
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2010, 01:22:52 PM »
If someone does do an SD40-2, my hope is to see at least CNW or better yet WSOR being done!

John

stuntman

• Crew
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2010, 11:14:11 PM »
Anybody get their UP GEVO's yet?   I'm already planning a couple renumbers with yellow sill stripes! ;D

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2010, 08:57:17 AM »
We got ours! I think we still have one.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
Still waiting on my KCS GEVO - but I know it will be here soon enough!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

rochsub

• Crew
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2010, 10:19:11 AM »
Anybody get their UP GEVO's yet?   I'm already planning a couple renumbers with yellow sill stripes! ;D

I ordered my 2 from wig wag.  May have been a mistake as I see other venders listing them as in stock and wig wag not aknowledging in their news page that they have them yet.  Maybe they're waiting until they get all the reserved orders shipped before the put their arrival on the news page.  Oh well.  What's a few few days as long as I get them.  

What's the story with the yellow sill stripes?  I was suprised to see the SD70ACe with yellow.

Daryl
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 10:21:07 AM by rochsub »

stuntman

• Crew
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2010, 10:58:44 AM »
Anybody get their UP GEVO's yet?   I'm already planning a couple renumbers with yellow sill stripes! ;D

I ordered my 2 from wig wag.  May have been a mistake as I see other venders listing them as in stock and wig wag not aknowledging in their news page that they have them yet.  Maybe they're waiting until they get all the reserved orders shipped before the put their arrival on the news page.  Oh well.  What's a few few days as long as I get them.  

What's the story with the yellow sill stripes?  I was suprised to see the SD70ACe with yellow.

Daryl

I think it's more silly FRA stuff...... Locomotives have to get either white or yellow reflective striping...(can't remember how much per foot)  UP chose yellow.           Who decided that Red Scotchlite reflective striping wasn't good enough? ::)

ljudice

« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2010, 07:19:43 PM »
Re: striping...

This was extensively tested by railroads - for years - before the final decision was made to go with yellow or white - as well as the specifications for the application of striping...  Contrary to speculation it was not something forced on the industry, but rather a specification they jointly developed....

And unfortunately Kato got it wrong - since the striping is clearly a different color than Armour Yellow - on the Kato SD70ACE's you can't see a difference.  Did FVM get it right?  I bet they did...

Lou