Author Topic: Anyone from San Francisco? Need some Help for Upcoming Trip  (Read 805 times)

fulltritty

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Jeff's Train Site
Anyone from San Francisco? Need some Help for Upcoming Trip
« on: February 27, 2010, 05:44:15 PM »
If anyone i from San Francisco, I need some help for railfanning suggestions on an upcoming trip I have. I will be out in the San Francisco area for a work conference the week of March 14th. I will be coming via the Coast Starlight from Seattle after another conference, staying in Emeryville across from the tracks, and departingon the 19th of March via the California Zephyr. Besides doing some touristy things (Fisherman's Wharf and Alcatraz), I plan on getting some railfanning in. I was thinking of going to Jack London Square in Oakland and catching some Caltrain action in San Franisco itself. I had some other questions about posible areas to explore to include:

1) Are the San Francisco Bay Railroad in San Francisco and Richmond Pacific Railroad in Richmond easily accessible to take pictures? If so, are there good locations you would recommend?

2) Are the UP South City Yard in San Francisco and BNSF's OIG Yard in Oakland accessible to railfan from public streets?

3) Are there any other yards in the area that are accessible to railfan from public streets?

4) Any other great locations to hit while in the area? I will have a rental car.

Thanks!
Check out my website (listed under the web tag) for railfanning pictures from 32 states, D.C., and Ontario. Current locomotive count: 5772!

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2875
Re: Anyone from San Francisco? Need some Help for Upcoming Trip
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 06:24:10 PM »
There is always FeatherRiverTrains .. just across the golden gate ..

pfs

• Crew
  • HPI 1975-?
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 06:25:05 PM »
You can visit Chuck

http://www.featherrivertrains.com/

EDIT...woops..echo

fulltritty

• Crew
    • Jeff's Train Site
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 07:11:45 PM »
Now there's a possibility seeing as how I haven't seen the infamous Chuck since February 2004 when we all went to Massachusetts for the big show.  8)
Check out my website (listed under the web tag) for railfanning pictures from 32 states, D.C., and Ontario. Current locomotive count: 5772!

fulltritty

• Crew
    • Jeff's Train Site
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 04:20:56 PM »
I guess a visit to Chuck will have to wait. My conference in San Francisco was postponed today until the Fall so I am only going to Seattle next week.  :'(

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1524
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 04:55:13 PM »
I guess a visit to Chuck will have to wait. My conference in San Francisco was postponed today until the Fall so I am only going to Seattle next week.  :'(

Well if you are headed to Seattle, go see Kirk and Wanda at Seattle's Train Center (http://www.seattlestraincenter.com/).. Loads of HO and N scale stuff; right next to the two track main leading to the Interbay Yard, and just down the road from the bascule bridge that crosses the Ballard Locks on the Lake Washington Ship Canal.  If you are staying downtown, you can often catch freights going through the waterfront, and the intermodal yard is south of there along Marginal Way.  But Kirk and Wanda can tell you all  that and give directions as well.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 06:13:19 PM »
go to the Disney Family Museum @ the Presidio... check out the trains from the Carolwood Pacific... and buy the limited edition N Scale CPRR Boxcar (Lowell Smith 100th release car)...  if you like Disney, and appreciate how trains were at the root of Disneyland's creation, and you like n scale, then you must put it on your list.

EP
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 07:51:06 PM »
My home town... If you do make it there in the fall here are some recommendations.  If you have a car, and want to take a BIG loop, start at Richmond near the BNSF (ex ATSF) yard and watch some of the action around there.  The Golden Gate MRR Museum (Chulvis' club) is right near there and is open Sunday afternoons.

Next, follow the BNSF line out to Pinole, to the stretch of bayfront that is sandwiched between the UP Cal-P line and the BNSF line.  From Pinole it's a short hop to Franklin Canyon and the city of Martinez, home of the Muir Trestle.  From there head out to the Martinez waterfront and rejoin the Cal-P line where it crosses the water on the massive Benicia Bridge.

Then head out towards Pittsburg and Antioch and see some steel action in Pittsburg.  From Antioch you can either head out to Stockton to catch the BNSF/UP diamond, or simply cut down through Byron and head back over Altamont Pass, but be sure to follow the old Altamont Pass Road rather than 580 over the pass.  Then take 580 back to Emeryville.

fulltritty

• Crew
    • Jeff's Train Site
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 06:37:07 AM »
Philip, Thanks for the suggestion. I will be arriving in downtown Seattle (and departing) via the Empire Builder and will have a rental car and will be staying out in Bellevue. I was out in Seattle for the same conference last March and besides seeing the Space Needle, I railfanned in downtown across from the football staium and in Edmaonds. I'll probably head back to Edmonds on Tuesday after I get my rental car as it is just so beautiful and then I'll probably railfan downtown Seattle area and maybe check out the train store on Friday now that I don't leave until 4:40PM to go home vice 8:20AM to head to Emeryville.

I love Disney and his history with trains, so when I go to San Francisco, I will definitly have to look into going to the museum.

Gary, thanks for the information. I will have a car and will probably try and stay at the Woodfin Inn again across from the UP main and Amtrak Station. I am guessing the conference will now be in September or October, so that gives me more time to plan out some stuff.