Author Topic: Weatherd Covered Hopper - GWIX 4088  (Read 2250 times)

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
Weatherd Covered Hopper - GWIX 4088
« on: March 18, 2010, 06:50:50 PM »
Hi All,

Here is a weathered HO scale covered hopper that was inspired by an article in OST on Weathering an O-Scale Hopper by Rich Divizio.  The MTW site also has an online version of the article (http://modeltrainsweathered.com/index.htm).  I wanted to do something a little different, so I added some rust streaks/spots/gashes plus graffiti and patched reporting marks.  This is a stock Atlas car with no superdetailing parts added, but I upgraded the couplers to Kadee #58 semi-scale couplers.

I couldn't find a proto pic that was exactly what i wanted, so this is an amalgam of several proto pics.  I mostly used water-mixable oil paints with some gouache, and Micro Sol as a solvent/thinner.  I also used some powders on the trucks/wheels/couplers.  The graffiti is hand-drawn, using fine-tip gel/paint pens, and Reefer White Polly scale paint applied with a very fine brush.   The photos were taken outdoors on a small test diorama that I built, on a partly cloudy day, not in direct sunlight.

Please let me know your comments and criticisms!

Thanks,
Ed

RockGp40

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +273
Re: Weatherd Covered Hopper - GWIX 4088
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 06:56:39 PM »
Nicely done, believable scene. Where's the Y track?   :P

Brian
No farms, no food. Support your local farmer's market!

I stand with Israel.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 08:26:47 PM »
Say, that looks really nice.  I like the streaks a lot. 

I would like to see a close up of your graf.  I could never get gel pens working right - what brand are you using?

Excellent tree - we need photos of that too. ;D

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 11:41:09 PM »
Say, that looks really nice.  I like the streaks a lot. 

I would like to see a close up of your graf.  I could never get gel pens working right - what brand are you using?

Excellent tree - we need photos of that too. ;D

Ditto!  Very inspiring.  Do you think your graf technique would work in N?

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 04:47:38 PM »
Thanks guys, glad you liked it.

Tom, I'll work on getting some better pix of the tree & graf, unfortunately it's snowing outside today....   The tree is a sagebrush armature from www.petitepinesnorthern.com, plus some of their foliage mats.  You have to tease the the foliage out really thin, and I add a little extra light-colored, fine ground foam for highlights.   You can probably ask them for armatures in the 2"-3" range for N scale, or cut apart some of the larger ones.

I used a couple of different pens: The Pigma Micron 005 (IIRC you had used these, is that right Tom?), plus Y&C Gel Xtreme GX101W White, and Permapaque 1.0mm fine point.   While there is a limit on how fine a pen line can be made, I don't see why they wouldn't work for N scale, at least for some kinds of graf.  (For really fine lines in N you probably want to make your own decals anyway.)

Brian - what's a Y track?   Do you mean like as in a wye?   Or is that more like a henway?   ;)

Ed

superfleet93

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 03:38:33 PM »
Excellent job on the car! What did you use for your scenery? I would like to know what type of ballast and grass you used. If thats static grass, what brand and color is it?

Perry

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 01:15:15 AM »
If it weren't for the thick brake wheel I would have thought the car and scenery were real .

Richie Dost

railbuilderdave

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 11:08:40 AM »
Looks really nice and I also like the scenery.

Dave
============================

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 10:44:47 PM »
What did you use for your scenery? I would like to know what type of ballast and grass you used. If thats static grass, what brand and color is it?

Perry

Hi Perry, the ballast is a mix of AZRM, Northern Pacific and CSX/Wabash.   That is static grass flock, it is a blend of Silflor 2mm and 4mm, in the Spring and Summer colors, plus some Woodland Scenics in the Light Green and Burnt Grass colors.  I applied it with a home-made version of the Noch static grass applicator, aka the "grassinator".   However with mine I used the AC version of the negative ion generator -- you have to be careful with that, to make sure that you properly ground it, otherwise you can create an electrical hazard.

Ed
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:45:38 AM by ednadolski »