Author Topic: Rock Quarry & Cement PLant Free-Mo Layout  (Read 4438 times)

railbuilderdave

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Rock Quarry & Cement PLant Free-Mo Layout
« on: January 25, 2009, 05:35:44 PM »
I'm currently designing a free-mo module that will be a quarry and cement plant.  The layout is still in the design phase and I originally got the idea of from a Walthers Bulk Transfer Conveyor w/Pit kit http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3519 I got some time ago.  So as I started doing the design of the layout I thought I would start on the weathering of the Bulk Transfer Conveyor kit (like I need to start yet another project).  So here is the status of what I got done on the kit so far.  I started on the conveyors last week and did some detail work like I added the catch bin at the bottom to of the top conveyor, I made conveyor belts (not shown here), and I added the detail parts to the motors (on both conveyors) to look a little more like motors and not plastic cylinders.  I got the base colors done last week as well that are a boxcar red base coat and a white top coat.
Today I got time on them to do weathering but it was slow going.  Don't ask how long it took - it was something like 5 hours to do the rusting on the lower conveyor belt frame.

Here is what they looked like after I added the power lines and some airbrushing for dust from the sand and rocks being passed on the conveyor belts.

Here is the rust/weathering I was able to get done today on the lower conveyor belt.
Side 1:

Side 2:
============================

railbuilderdave

• Crew
Re: Rock Quarry & Cement PLant Free-Mo Layout
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 06:18:58 PM »
Looks like this:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/ProtoPhotos#5102723567333675314
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=qvm18188979v&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=24529504&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Chris,
Some nice photos there.  It's funny I was so close to the one you sent a map link to and I didn't have a clue.  Boy it would be nice to be able to get back in there for some reference photos of all those places.  I was there one time and lost all my photos due to a memory card going bad.  It was my friends camera before I got my new one and the card was replaced but not the photos.  I had so many from Y-town and pitts area as well.  Guess I gotta go back again and take the photos one more time.  Next time I'll let you know when I'm in town and maybe we can meet there.
Dave

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5529
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 03:52:12 AM »
Here is another shot:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/ProtoPhotos#5102725560198500786
http://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/ProtoPhotos#5102723507204133154
The yellow crane must be some sort of car shaker.

Here is a train being unloaded. You can pull up right next to it on that old brick dead end road.
http://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/ProtoPhotos#5190725046451358146
I read somewhere that their contract is for CSX to handle the train. So they pull up from Ohio Jct. to Girard by the coaling tower, then they back all the way down the old Erie main to unload.

I'm diggin' the weathering. Should turn into a great scene.

railbuilderdave

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 10:06:23 AM »
Wow, there are some great shots.  I gotta talk with you before I come to Y-town next to learn about where I can go and get shots like these.  Do you work there or just know the places to be because the other photos seem like you are right on the property. 

I did notice the catch bin on the upper conveyor belt I added isn't on the one in the photo and may not be prototypical.  Maybe I need to remove it.  I think it kinda adds to the conveyor belt though.

Dave

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5529
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 02:25:15 PM »
Oh I don't know anyone there, the road is like 15' from the tracks and I got out for a walk  ;)  I'm sure you know that area was the Jennette Blast furnace at one time. I just drove down there to see what the heck that yellow crane was for.

I wouldn't worry about the catch bin. And really to me your weathering is much more interesting than the brand new one in my pics. I see MR will have an article on a quarry next month.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +352
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 08:01:40 PM »
Dave,

Will photos of the Tarmac facility in Annapolis Junction help, like those below. I got a bunch of detail shots but not a whole lot of the entire structures, as they too often disappeared into the backlight. I also have shots of a larger stone loadout on the Maryland Midland in central Maryland, but it's not very weathered. Let me know.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

railbuilderdave

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 01:12:42 PM »
Dave,

Will photos of the Tarmac facility in Annapolis Junction help, like those below. I got a bunch of detail shots but not a whole lot of the entire structures, as they too often disappeared into the backlight. I also have shots of a larger stone loadout on the Maryland Midland in central Maryland, but it's not very weathered. Let me know.

Bryan,
These photos are great and if you still have the others you mentioned let me me know and I can give you my e-mail address.

Sorry it's been so long before I replied but I've been working on other projects so this was sidetracked.

Dave

jsoflo

• Crew
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 11:11:40 PM »
Here are some shots from the Titan aggregate and cement facility in Medley, Florida:

Love your work so far, I've been toying around with a transfer facility module so I'd love to see how you proceed!
my best,
Jan