Author Topic: Goodbye, N scale  (Read 8040 times)

bsoplinger

Re: Goodbye, N scale
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 07:28:41 PM »
I'd like to see a AS-616 if they don't make a DRS4-4-1000 which the Lehigh Valley actually had. I could at least use the shell as a start to a DRS4-4-1000 bash ;)

Packer

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 07:48:57 PM »
Iain, Mark, and Mike; Join the dark side. We have the engines and cars you want.  ;D

You think you've got problems? Look at the rooster tease Atlas is doing to me with this for the HO crowd:

I think those might be coming out soon in N scale too. IM is doing SD40-2Ws in both HO and N, and atlas seems to follow up HO releases with N releases shortly afterwards (based on SD24).
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.

Two Truck Shay

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 08:17:15 PM »
Actually, having someone move from one scale to another would probably be a net benefit to manufacturers. More potential new sales, since most make products in both scales.

It's frustrating for sure. I bailed out on the hobby once over the lack of decent steam equipment. The Atlas Shay sucked me back in.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 10:00:34 PM »
Little challenge to do a decent HO model compared to N .

Apples vs. oranges,  IMHO.   Every scale has its own set of challenges, tradeoffs, constraints, goals, and expectations.

Ed

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • http://www.featherrivertrains.com
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 10:49:26 PM »
*Imagines the reception Iain will get in the Atlas HO Scale Forum*

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 05:36:09 AM »
He sure will be missed here  ::)

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 08:31:28 AM »
I switched from HO to N in 1998, I moved to Dallas Tx. from Pennsy, since there are no basements, or the Texas summer heat makes it impossible to be in the garage I sold all my HO stuff and went N because of lack of space.  Turned out to be a great decision. So many new products have been released in the last 12 years I never once thought about changing back, even though I did return to PA in 2006 and have ample room now...
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
    • My train pics
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2010, 09:08:20 AM »
Iain, Mark, and Mike; Join the dark side. We have the engines and cars you want.  ;D

You think you've got problems? Look at the rooster tease Atlas is doing to me with this for the HO crowd:

I think those might be coming out soon in N scale too. IM is doing SD40-2Ws in both HO and N, and atlas seems to follow up HO releases with N releases shortly afterwards (based on SD24).

Being a pessimist, I'm looking at that nice Altas HO C424 they haven't brought to N... that and I was told that Atlas has no plans to do the GP40-2W in N at this time. The thing is, IM has three paint schemes to choose from with the SD40-2W in any scale (and all CN), whereas Atlas has many to choose from with the GP40-2W... including a Guilford one to go with the bane of my existence, the SD26.

If only the Santa Fe had bought the geeps...

I have far too much equipment to change scales... and I'd actually like to have a chance to build a layout again in N before entertaining thoughts of joining the Sith  ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 09:11:11 AM by lock4244 »

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1766
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 09:48:50 PM »
You want to change scales....... for a Baldwin.

How about this?

http://www.t-gauge.net/gallery_05.htm

Is this a Baldwin?

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 07:43:27 AM »
I've hopped scales before, trying to find that eternal model railroading bliss.  I dabbled with N scale in 1994, but the code 80 track just wasn't doing it for me.  I returned to N scale in 2003 when I realized that code 55 was being produced.  Been here ever since.  I don't expect to leave N scale anytime soon, mostly for space reasons, but also because I believe that N scale products rival what HO was doing fifteen years ago.  That is, my N scale Atlas locomotives meet or exceed the detailing and running characteristics on the HO locomotives I owned in the mid-1990s.  So, I don't expect that I will ever leave N scale, at least not over the availability of a locomotive in another scale, but I might dabble in another scale simultaneously.  I admit that I was recently eyeing an ET&WNC ten-wheeler in On30 recently.  Thankfully, smarter heads prevailed, and I didn't pull the trigger.

Dave

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2010, 07:59:38 AM »
You want to change scales....... for a Baldwin.

How about this?

http://www.t-gauge.net/gallery_05.htm

Is this a Baldwin?

That's a Flat-Top "T Class" (how appropriate!) locomotive from the Victorian Railways of Australia, built by Clyde Engineering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_Railways_T_class_(diesel)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/80/VR-T413.jpg

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2010, 03:14:23 PM »
What happened to the Dismal Swap project? Do we need to order some take-out from IHOP?

I've been working on that since I can't model my beloved Norfolk Southern.  I can get by with the small MDC steam I have since the Dismal Swamp tied in at the end of an NS branch.  Actually, I have space to keep it, so I will probably finish it and do some NS modeling in HO.  The DSRR layout is so small I can put it in the closet and drag it out for shows or the occasional fling.

However, I was fine with that since no one made an AS416 in HO either beyond going with brass.

Iain, you have to go where the heart leads you.  And if that means HO, then vaya con Dios.

N scale is a great many things, but it's not appropriate for every single requirement.  I think a small point-to-point NS layout in HO could be very hot!

I'm already considering something around Fayetteville, NC in the mid 1950s (the era I would do in N if I could).  The industrial switching I have seen here has rather inspired me.  I'm thinking about maybe the line from just before it crosses Ramsey St about two miles from where my mother grew up on through Hillsboro Street (street running with a fair bit of switching) on to the ACL interchange on the other side of MLK Dr. is now.  Fairly short, and at the time had plenty of action.

By the way, I'm not getting rid of my N stuff, and I will probably continue to run it on NTrack layouts.  I'm just no longer planning on actively pursuing the scale.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

rswinnerton

• Crew
  • The Anti-Ed
  • Respect: +20
    • Luxury Rail Travel
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2010, 05:43:58 PM »
The ninjas will be pleased.
Russ Swinnerton
Dr. of Ferroequinology
www.LuxRailTravel.com

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2010, 10:38:56 PM »
My goodness. Someone changes _to_ N scale and it's a huge celebration. Someone changes _from_ N scale and its all "what the hell are you thinking".

Packer

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2010, 10:41:49 PM »
My goodness. Someone changes _to_ N scale and it's a huge celebration. Someone changes _from_ N scale and its all "what the hell are you thinking".

x2
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.