Author Topic: planes on flatcars in transition era  (Read 1121 times)

71jeep

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
planes on flatcars in transition era
« on: February 25, 2010, 07:29:24 AM »
Hi All,,,

Was wondering if anyone knows of any books or websites that show any planes on flats in the transition era.
I have seen many great loads by modelers through the years but have never seen any pictures to verify that they are real ect.

Thanks to anyone with some info I have a bunch of flats and would like to do a few planes for the cool factor but also want them to be real.

Allen....

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +442
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: planes on flatcars in transition era
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 07:45:37 AM »
Boeing has used flatcars to move aircraft components around the northwest for a long time.  perhaps adding that to the search mix will help.  LBF did an N scale version of the Skybox that they built to do it - basically an oversized shrowd in a flat car.  Not exactly transition era, but gets you closer.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 07:58:43 AM »
Haven't seen any photos but I have read in one of the military history magazines where a WWII pilot was driving from San Francisco to the East and he mentioned seeing a Sant Fe freight with several flats carrying aircraft.  He looked at the number on the side of the Grumman Hellcats and one of the number matched the aircraft he has flown.  Guess they were heading to a boneyard somewhere.

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +148
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 08:28:22 AM »
I have a photo somewhere of a droptank on a 40' A&EC flat.  Just the droptank takes up much of the car.

No, unless the plane was incapable of flight (read wrecked here), it wouldn't be carried on a train, and then it would be small pieces in a gondola.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 08:38:27 AM »
small aircraft were transported in boxcars:

i'm pretty sure Piper was shipping this way out of Loch Haven, PA
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +148
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 09:00:05 AM »
Ok, I stand corrected.  I still doubt you would see them in the open on flatcars.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

71jeep

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 09:21:26 AM »
Ok, I stand corrected.  I still doubt you would see them in the open on flatcars.

This is what I figured as well but seeing all the the models out there I thought just maybe someone had a picture that gave them the idea to give it a go.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +143
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 11:22:08 AM »
Not exactly transition era, but there's a 1964 photo in Morning Sun's SP Color Guide (pg. 84) of a Grummon Widgeon on an open flat. The plane's uncovered with wings and the tail tip removed, crated, and accompanying the fuselage.

Slightly OT, Chris Craft shipped boats from its plant on the Delmarva Peninsula on open flats, on the PRR.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

SquirrelHollow

• Crew
  • Grease Monkey
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 01:38:04 PM »
Like the other responses...   It's not transition era, but I have a small collection of shipping photographs for MH-53 helicopters.

Most are shipped by truck, but we did ship 3 by train.  Two were loaded on 53' flat-bed semi trailers, and added to trailer-trains.  The third was trucked north, to Alabama, before being trans-loaded onto a flat car.

When I find these photos, I'll post the applicable ones here.  (It's a collection I'm desperately trying to find; in the disorganized, cluttered sea of mid-remodeling boxes.  The collection also contains some of the only photos of a helo we chopped up with hydraulic shears and concrete saws, in 2006 (a crash recovery).  ...War is hell.)
-Robert

Uintah Railway, Utah Railway.