Author Topic: Reverser control question  (Read 2976 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2895
Re: Reverser control question
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 09:23:27 PM »
Well .. I just RTFM .. I think this is exactly what you want ..

Auto Throw can set Automatic Entry Direction to a Reverse Loop
The figure below shows how to extend the clear trigger rail ahead of the switch into a reverse loop. When the train
approaches, it will always trigger the clear route, resulting in a consistent entry direction into the reverse loop.
The distance
must be at least the train length, otherwise the switch will auto throw under the train leaving the reverse loop. If you cannot
get a long enough distance between the switch and the incoming trigger rail, you can use the auto throw timer to inhibit the
auto throw function for a specified number of seconds after the train enters the reverse loop. In this way, the auto throw can
be disabled after lining the points for the entry into the reverse loop. As long as it remains disabled until the train clears the
points, auto throw will not throw the points under the exiting train. This method can also be used to always align a spur with
the main to prevent unexpected freight deliveries if a switch is accidentally left aligned with the spur. To access the spur, the
switch is thrown after the train clears the main line trigger rail one train length from the switch.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 09:42:37 PM »
Well .. I just RTFM .. I think this is exactly what you want ..

Auto Throw can set Automatic Entry Direction to a Reverse Loop
The figure below shows how to extend the clear trigger rail ahead of the switch into a reverse loop. When the train
approaches, it will always trigger the clear route, resulting in a consistent entry direction into the reverse loop.
The distance
must be at least the train length, otherwise the switch will auto throw under the train leaving the reverse loop. If you cannot
get a long enough distance between the switch and the incoming trigger rail, you can use the auto throw timer to inhibit the
auto throw function for a specified number of seconds after the train enters the reverse loop. In this way, the auto throw can
be disabled after lining the points for the entry into the reverse loop. As long as it remains disabled until the train clears the
points, auto throw will not throw the points under the exiting train. This method can also be used to always align a spur with
the main to prevent unexpected freight deliveries if a switch is accidentally left aligned with the spur. To access the spur, the
switch is thrown after the train clears the main line trigger rail one train length from the switch.

It works because of the train length block used to tell the Hare that a train is approaching and that sensor has to be clear before the train hits the sensor after the frog.  If Lee has that sort of space, it could work.

edit: If Lee single tracked the helix and put the turnout at the end near the staging, he could use the whole helix as the train length block and the system should work.

Jason
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:45:02 PM by wcfn100 »

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 09:51:14 PM »
I haven't looked at the Hare in a long time and they have really added some stuff.

I looks like you could do something with the built in timers and maybe a single sensor for the trains that are leaving staging.  When the train clears the sensor, it uses a timer to throw the turnout back to the original position.

Jason

SebastianLee

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 09:54:36 AM »
I think you can do everything you need with just a PSX-AR unit.
snippet of features:
  • Automatic Coordination of Auto Reverse and Circuit Breaker Tasks: It is both a auto reverser and a circuit breaker.
  • Automates Reverse Loop Turnouts: Integrated stall motor or snap coil decoder
  • Auto Stop with CV Reset: A photocell can detect a train in the reverse section and turn off power.

http://www.tonystrains.com/technews/powershield_x.htm

wendell camp

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 06:20:08 PM »
Q ;Can you control two reverse loops with one AR1 as long as you don't try to go througth the two loops at the same time The loops are  two drifferant levels stack one above another TIA Wendell
wendell   NHRA#59

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 03:25:34 PM »
Theoretically
if two completely eletrically isolated segmens used the same reverser, it could work. If both segments were triggered simultaineously it could potentially go very, very wrong. 

If these reversing sections were isolated/low traffic areas it could work, electrically.  I would think that the small incremental cost of a reverser to perform well versus the cost of a smoked command station is an easy decision in my mind...
Support fine modeling

wendell camp

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 06:50:58 PM »
Tivo I sort thought that but was wondering what other thought Wendell
wendell   NHRA#59

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5409
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 08:49:45 PM »
I'm going to need a second reverser anyway, being as I'm creating two staging balloons where previously I had only one.  (The reversing section I had in the wye at Williamsport Jct. was manual using a slide switch).

Of course, in the name of science (and well publicized product placement), I'd be willing to accept a test unit to try out! ;D

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net