Author Topic: "Standard" wheels for Micro-Trains?  (Read 10080 times)

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
Re: "Standard" wheels for Micro-Trains?
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2010, 12:16:25 AM »
Doh, you're right. Too much cutting and pasting....fixxed in original post.
Tony Hines

bicknell

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2010, 08:41:07 AM »
Total of 63 unique numbers for steam / transition era, not sure if you at trying to cut off before the Progress logo but I have seen plenty of them behind steam.

I prefer without the Progress logo.  Most of the cars produced use the 1954 version (which was used 1954-1972), so they really are too late for steam. (See http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3943/is_199910/ai_n8864086/)  The earlier version started in 1948, so yes, you can have some steam overlap, but then you have to watch your engines real close to make sure they match.  I know a bit proto-police of me (which is not my normal style)..

Also, my understanding is almost all of the 3-bay hoppers on the C&O were post WWII.  They experimented with them before that so there were a few here and there, but nothing wide spread.  I've never seen a good reference though.  As such, I've avoided the three bays...

So, if your looking for 2 bay, without the for progress logo, the list gets a lot shorter:

Atlas:
2 bay offset side - 5 numbers Chesapeake & Ohio

Bowser:
2 bay GLa - 3 numbers Chesapeake & Ohio

MTL:
2 bay Expanded Side - 1 number
2 bay Offset Side - 1 number
2 bay Rib side Flat End - 1 number
2 bay Composite Side - 4 numbers
2 bay Offset Side Notched End - 6 numbers (2 - 3 packs)

Of those, I've never been able to figure out how many of the GLa's the C&O had, I saw one reference that they came to the C&O via acquisition, but no proof.

So, I'm pretty much down to one Atlas and MTL for the right twin bays.  Maybe I shouldn't be so picky. 

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2010, 09:51:38 AM »
I'm pretty sure some of the MDCs are "non-progress" - will check when I'm at home.

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2010, 10:11:52 AM »
6 of the MDC hoppers are "Chesapeake and Ohio" , not the progress logo.

Leo,
 I feel your pain, I'm not so picky about my C&O stuff but B&O is another story. It seems like everybody want's to produce B&O in the Billboard "B&O" large ampersand scheme but that puts a hard date on the cars as a post steam repaint/rebuild. Very few new hoppers were purchased after the war most ran around in their original schemes until retirement. It always seemed to me more logical to produce more of the earliest schemes, then add in some repaints but the manufactures seem to work the other way around. The older paint covers a wider era and satisfies more modelers. Fortunately the B&O guys have a champion in Brian DeVries and he helped influence both Atlas and Athearn to do their last batches of B&O hoppers in the 13 states logo, costing me a lot of money but definitely rounding out the fleet.

Topic drift complete.
Tony Hines