Author Topic: Possibly The Next Athearn Steam Release  (Read 4308 times)

Walkercolt

Re: Possibly The Next Athearn Steam Release
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 12:41:48 AM »
Chuck, you weren't supposed to let the cat out of the bag! The FEF has been in planning since the Big Boy's release. I expect another home-run from Athearn on the FEF. One of the Athearn guys told me small steam isn't on the table unless they can find a cost-effective way to use tungsten for the frame (for weight and pulling power). Yes, Hornby did it with a 4-6-0 at about $300 US, but that won't fly. I'm afraid the Alleghany will always be a brass item, as will many other locomotives. Something that's rarely cried for is a Rock Island 4-8-4. They had more of them than any RR in the US, and they were big engines too. You Eastern Road guys should be getting something steamy next year, if all goes well. Now guess if it will be Pennsy or NYC! ( I don't have clue yet either.) 8)

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +165
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 02:51:23 AM »
I would be all over several Rock Island 4-8-4's from the 1944 or 1946 orders. If Atheran is doing a FEF, they are not too far from a RI R-67. Very similar running gear and boiler. A new cab and tender would be two of the biggest changes necessary.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 10:45:09 AM »
I agree that the FEF would be a "no brainer" for Athearn's next N steam. I doubt if we'll see any eastern steam from Athearn (shadowing their HO releases).

unclepete20

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 08:00:51 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing that turbine they made in HO.... now only if they made the 8500 turbines, I would sell my modern rolling stock for a fleet of these.

Big4Man

• Crew
  • "They say I'm crazy but I have a good time..."
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 10:33:12 PM »
I would rather see a Allegheny, it make the big boy look small. ;D

Funny you mention that... a brass Allegheny just popped-up on eBay. One bid so far, a K-buck. I'm reaching for my wallet right now (NOT!).  ::)

The last one I saw went for 2 k. ouch

Up to $1,725.00........ you still have time!   :o

Dan

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
Forgot that Athearns is even more westsentric than Kato, maybe someone else like Kato or most likely a new player will do an C&o H8 in plastic. The one on the bay is well on its way to 2K or more than my loco budget for the whole year.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 12:18:52 AM »
I took this shot of the T1 4-8-4 in Bradley Beach NJ in 1976 . This is the Eastern road loco I would buy if painted in AFT colors .

Richie Dost

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 10:01:28 AM »
Don't be surprised if kato beats Athearn to the punch with the next steam announcement.

Packer

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 10:19:41 AM »
Forgot that Athearns is even more westsentric than Kato, maybe someone else like Kato or most likely a new player will do an C&o H8 in plastic. The one on the bay is well on its way to 2K or more than my loco budget for the whole year.

Rivarossi did an HO one, maybe they could be convinced to do an HO one.
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.

unclepete20

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 11:04:37 AM »

Don't count on it anytime soon, rivarossi already did an HO one, why would they want to make another HO 2-6-6-6? ;)

Packer

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2010, 05:29:40 PM »

Don't count on it anytime soon, rivarossi already did an HO one, why would they want to make another HO 2-6-6-6? ;)

maybe there is another loco that uses that wheel arrangement.

I meant for the second HO to be N
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.