Author Topic: Corn Syrup  (Read 3349 times)

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
Corn Syrup
« on: February 05, 2010, 10:45:11 PM »
The new issue of Model Railroad Planning has a "sweet" article on modeling small corn syrup transloading facilties. Just about everyone has room for one of these, and it`s a good way to put those super nice Atlas tank cars to use..
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Corn Syrup
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 10:53:21 PM »
Yes!

One of these is definitely finding its way into the layout. I really liked the info about the different grades. It makes the industry much more interesting.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 11:35:44 PM »
Cool.  Corn syrup transloading is a big part of the freight traffic on my layout, should be some handy info to have.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 10:10:24 AM »
Noticed that article and Soo and I were talking about how useful it is.  Particularly in the fact that one track overlaps the other and requires some movement within the two track area to get cars spotted. In essence the perfect MRR modern small industry, and one that requires the shorter 40 ft CS tankers, not some behometh cars.

Kudos to MR on this one.  As much as we bash them on forums for what we think they do wrong, I guess we ought to give the two thumbs up for the good stuff.

Brakie

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 12:17:44 PM »
Fellas,On my planed ISL I have a "distribution"* track plan where plastic pellets,corn sweetener,lumber and plasticizer can be transloaded into trucks for final delivery.

*Also known as a transload track and team track.
Larry

Summerset Ry.

Wlal13again

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 01:15:50 PM »
I do business with the ADM transload facilty in Morrisville PA, there they transload corn syrup, flour from covered hoppers, and cases of cooking oil from boxcars. Great operation, but it makes the facility fairly large, they ones in MRP are more model friendly.
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

Brakie

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 05:16:41 PM »
Mine will be similar to a old fashion team track since it only serves 4 customers..In fact it started life as a team track and laid dormant for several years before being upgraded to a distribution track.

Well,that's my story and I'm sticking to it.. ;)
Larry

Summerset Ry.

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 10:26:53 PM »
I thought the article was,,saaaaaaaaaweet.

Now i just need to get some CS cars. I also noticed in the same issue there was a guy that ran industry tracks through the backdrop. I think it was the guy that did the n scale layout.

I have room for that on one section of my layout, that would be great. A spot that looks to have 1-3 cars could actaully have 3-8... Some where for my extensive freight car fleet to be used.

Adios,, I wish we had some of that snow that hit the east,, in texas.

WYT

Wlal13again

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 10:50:38 PM »
I thought the article was,,saaaaaaaaaweet.

Now i just need to get some CS cars. I also noticed in the same issue there was a guy that ran industry tracks through the backdrop. I think it was the guy that did the n scale layout.

I have room for that on one section of my layout, that would be great. A spot that looks to have 1-3 cars could actaully have 3-8... Some where for my extensive freight car fleet to be used.

Adios,, I wish we had some of that snow that hit the east,, in texas.

WYT

I have 18 inches or so in the yard Wyatt, I`ll send you some..

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 08:49:02 AM »
Send Georgia some too. I got the issue yesterday and I'll read it this week. Looks mighty intertesting.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 10:30:59 AM »
It was a pretty good article. I have on in the Lakeland district that handles 16 cars and the article helped with some of the locations in MA I had visited but could not get access to.

I also have a Veryfine factory that is also a CS car destination, with spots for 4 cars.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1