Author Topic: Jerry's track  (Read 2956 times)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Jerry's track
« on: February 02, 2010, 10:24:11 AM »
Seeing Jerry's posts in the Trading Post today made me think of his track issue.  What was it and does anyone know why it happened?

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
Re: Jerry's track
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 10:27:07 AM »
It is veiled in secrecy! :P

Honestly, I don't care. There are so many others using Atlas C55 with success that whatever it is - it has to be irrelevant.

Mark
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 10:39:50 AM by NandW »

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 11:17:42 AM »
I have NEVER had an issue with Atlas C55. I think over the current layout and the old Pittsburgh Line layout I have bought over 5 cases of flex and I still have more to buy. I have purchased #5's, #7's and #10's by the case as well, there being over 150 turnouts on the new layout. All of which I have had no issues with what so ever.

I run FVM wheels and Atlas,Kato engines. No issues so far.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 11:31:40 AM »
i am 2 cases into it (about to be 3), and @ 20 switches (about to double that number)...  of various vintage... no issues (knock on wood).  I am running FVM, MT and Atlas wheelsets (lo pros) with no issues... 

;)

just my 2 cents...

EP
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

justTRAINcRaZy

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 11:34:30 AM »
I have a little over 1000 feet of C55 track and just over 200 turnouts. No problem whatsoever with the track. I think it's much easier to cut and lay than C80.

Have, however, had some problems with some turnouts. Especially the #5s. Kept having a problem with locos hitting the throwbar or running up over the guard rails. Had to fine tune the throwbars and guards with a file and widen the wheel gage on some to locos to fix the problems. A couple of evenings with some help (thanks Steve) and we fixed most of the problems.

I just wrote it off to required fine tuning, just like you do with rolling stock or locos or anything else "out-of-the-box". Oh yeah, and I never, ever put any track out of reach for maintenance. Learned that on my first layout.

KB

inkaneer

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 11:39:22 AM »
I believe Jerry had some problems with the Atlas C55 #5 turnouts.  He had a very ambitious plan to model Harrisburg, PA environs and was well along when the issue with the turnouts began.  I'm tempted to say that the point rails were becoming loose at their hinge point but not sure about that at all.  Jerry and Atlas arrived at some sort of settlement.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:43:21 AM by inkaneer »

keystonecrossings

• Crew
    • Middle Division Musings
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 12:33:52 PM »
The issue was 100% the #5 turnouts, of which I had well over a hundred. When I collected all of them to send back to Atlas, 100% of them could not freely pass an official NMRA gauge through the frog. Atlas did not dispute this.

I had absolutely no issue with the flex... it was excellent to work with. In fact, I have some left I am selling at $1.50 a piece -- minimum 10 pieces.
Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 12:37:02 PM »
The issue was 100% the #5 turnouts, of which I had well over a hundred. When I collected all of them to send back to Atlas, 100% of them could not freely pass an official NMRA gauge through the frog. Atlas did not dispute this.

But this was normal, right?  I had to file the frogs a little, too.  I thought yours changed over time?

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 01:21:47 PM »

I had absolutely no issue with the flex... it was excellent to work with. In fact, I have some left I am selling at $1.50 a piece -- minimum 10 pieces.

What percentage was checked before installation?
What percentage was being used on hidden track with no access?

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5403
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 01:40:36 PM »
Someone call the horse mortician... we need a dead one to flog some more.

::)
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2102
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 01:59:22 PM »
I don't think in this day and age of higher expected quality trains that wheels should be out of gauge , flanges be too deep , or turnouts need adjusting . All manufactures today are aware of the need for these to be within limits . Good out of the box turnouts is what I expect from all manufactures . QC should have caught this before they were put on the market . Lemons for full market price is defrauding the buying public .

Richie Dost

Packer

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 02:09:45 PM »
Someone call the horse mortician... we need a dead one to flog some more.

tada?

http://www.masonicinfo.com/images/BeatDeadHorse.gif

« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 02:38:26 PM by Packer »
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2102
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 02:28:27 PM »

Richie Dost

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 03:37:53 PM »
Wasnt the #5 issue solved after it was brought up en mass?
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

keystonecrossings

• Crew
    • Middle Division Musings
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 08:23:35 PM »

What percentage was checked before installation?
What percentage was being used on hidden track with no access?

Does it matter? A failure is a failure. We had many successful op sessions... then they suddenly "grew". Atlas did not argue the fact.

And in answer to another reply, yes, I think they have fixed them. Mine had all been purchased early; most from the initial run.

And I didn't come here to beat a dead horse. Others asked what the issue was, I happened to it and reiterated factually. End of story. No conspiracy, no hidden agenda. Simple.

I see a heck of a lot of real talent on this forum -- with an equal amount of pettiness.
Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com