Author Topic: E33 by Bachmann  (Read 10082 times)

Packer

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Re: E33 by Bachmann
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 02:37:54 PM »
I'd love to get my hands on a pair. Maybe two if they'd serve as a reasonable kitbash to the E44.

Might be possible:
E33
E44
(avoiding copyright stuff by posting links, have to ask to post drawings)

The ends look to be the same as the U25B (which would make since, they were made in the same timeframe). A different pantograph, add opera windows, u25B ends, and a bunch of styrene work.
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 03:33:16 PM »
Wait - you'd string Cat?  Oh boy, building your layout just got a whole lot more fun for those of us who have self-appointed to the Crew!

Well, I know a guy... and I think I can bribe him with booze.

I've actually thought a bit about doing it on the future plan, in limited bits. Having some black and blue units would make that a definite.

These do not help one bit:
http://thecrhs.org/Images/CR-4457-and-Another-E44-Shove-a-Coal-Train-Through-Orangeville-in-Baltimore-879
http://thecrhs.org/Images/CR-4610-E33s-at-Orangeville-in-Baltimore-1077

Ooh, y'all might soon have another convert.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8550
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 09:56:08 AM »
I would be in for two; one in blue and one as a PC paint-out.  I'd also then be inclined to do up another Kato G in black with PC-style CRs.

I would like to have independent verification of this rumor, however, before I allow myself to get too excited.  Based on what I saw on the A-board this looks like a zealous amplification of a polite "yeah, maybe" from the Bachmann rep.

Then again, having Kato do the GG1 was once merely a wishful fantasy, so anything's possible!

VGN50

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 10:23:40 AM »

Rumor or not, N Scale is overdue for some electrics other than the mighty GG-1.

If Bachmann produces this locomotive in the Virginian scheme, which they should, I'm definitely in for a pair and probably three.

Mark

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8034
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 10:25:07 AM »
I'd love to get my hands on a pair. Maybe two if they'd serve as a reasonable kitbash to the E44.

Might be possible:
E33
E44
(avoiding copyright stuff by posting links, have to ask to post drawings)

The ends look to be the same as the U25B (which would make since, they were made in the same timeframe). A different pantograph, add opera windows, u25B ends, and a bunch of styrene work.

You know the author of those?

Are there more?

I'd love to be put in touch.

Packer

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 01:19:50 PM »
You know the author of those?

Are there more?

I'd love to be put in touch.

A google search of that site turns up "Will Anderson." Best of all for the Cr guys, he has a whole conrail section:
http://www.trainweb.org/willstrainart/CR.htm

(again, hopefully not violating any copyrights or anything like that)

He also has CAD files for most engine types (like a C430, in both RDG and NYC flavors). I'm hoping I can get HO versions of the C636, C415 (hi-ad trucks with medium cab), SDP40, and SDP45.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 01:23:31 PM by Packer »
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 10:13:57 PM »
Just out of curiosity - how much time passed between the release of the HO scale 44-Tonner and the announcement of the N scale version?  Years if I remember correctly.  I also believe the HO 44-Tonner was released before the HO E33, but I am not that certain.  I have asked Bachmann in the past if they would release the E33 (EL-C) in N, and they've never said no outright.  I've sent another query in light of the Atlas post, and if/when I receive a response I'll post it here.

I do have the HO model in New Haven.  It would be very nice to have a pair of N scale versions to operate.  I figured out how to scratchbuild them years ago, but it would be far far less expensive to let Bachmann do them and purchase a pair.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 11:45:09 PM »
I think Bachmann did the HO E33s many, many, years after the 44 Tonners. I think the 44 Tonners were actually some of the first Spectrum units, from way back in the 90s at least. I think the E33s are much more modern (2000s I think).

davidone

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 12:59:11 AM »
As much as i would like a E33 or a E44, if Bachmann did it, that just means i won't buy it. I will never buy another Bachmann product again and i don't care if they are perfect. You just can't trust them to put out a good product, too hit and miss. Now if Kato, Atlas, Athearn, IM  made them then i'm in.  Sorry Bachmann, quality control should be your number 1 priorty but from my perspective it is sadly missing.

Dave

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 01:22:33 AM »
The 44 tonners date to 1988. They had individually powered trucks unsing N scale motors. The mechinism was redesigned a few years ago with one motor and this is where the n scale research came into play. if so, the lag time between the models was only 4 years or so.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5409
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 08:28:35 AM »
I've got one with the dual motors.  

It's actually a pretty good runner, and wasn't difficult to wire one decoder in parallel.  I keep it down at the club where I haven't paid dues in 3 years....  I should probably look into that... :o

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 08:54:53 AM »
As much as i would like a E33 or a E44, if Bachmann did it, that just means i won't buy it. I will never buy another Bachmann product again and i don't care if they are perfect. You just can't trust them to put out a good product, too hit and miss. Now if Kato, Atlas, Athearn, IM  made them then i'm in.  Sorry Bachmann, quality control should be your number 1 priorty but from my perspective it is sadly missing.

That's a strong statement.  If a manufacturer makes a prototype-specific model for your road, it's nearly certain that no other manufacturer will.  I'd rather have a model that I can make better than no model at all.  If Bachmann released an N scale E33, it's a sure bet that physically it would look fine.  If that's the case, it can be gutted, re-motored and re-geared if necessary to make it run better.  But given their recent offerings in N, I don't believe there would be a problem.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 11:06:43 AM »
The 44 tonners date to 1988. They had individually powered trucks unsing N scale motors. The mechinism was redesigned a few years ago with one motor and this is where the n scale research came into play. if so, the lag time between the models was only 4 years or so.

Ahh, I did not know they just redid them. Nice!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5409
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 11:09:59 AM »
Another example of Bachmann stealthily improving designs without a lot of publicity... Apparently Toyota uses the same business model!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8550
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2010, 01:45:08 PM »
Bachmann is indeed hit or miss.  But they've had enough true hits in my book so as to convince me to give them another shot.  For as troublesome as my 4-8-2 is, the 2-8-0 is a home run almost without equal.  As Bryan mentions, Bachmann would be the ONLY manufacturer todo the E33 in N.  I'm highly doubtful the E44 will be done by anyone.  As such, short of an incredible amount of kitbashing, this is really our only shot at "modern" electric power.  Kato's not gonna do it, so Bachmann it (possibly) is.

I'm with Ed in that if this does happen, once I've run them around a few laps I'll be thinking about how to make them into E44 bricks...