Author Topic: MTL SD40-2 Mechanism/Trucks Detail Photos?  (Read 2076 times)

SquirrelHollow

• Crew
  • Grease Monkey
  • Respect: 0
MTL SD40-2 Mechanism/Trucks Detail Photos?
« on: January 31, 2010, 08:24:22 PM »
Does anyone know where I can find some detail photos of the MTL SD40-2 mechanism and trucks?

I'm trying to figure out if the trucks (probably not anything from the mechanism) could be modified for use under an Nn3 articulated steamer.  I know the diesel to steamer conversion is a big stretch, but I'm searching for alternatives to Marklin's ridiculous marketing strategies and microscopic runs.
-Robert

Uintah Railway, Utah Railway.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +2429
Re: MTL SD40-2 Mechanism/Trucks Detail Photos?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 09:41:47 PM »
I've seen pics with the shell off, but not with the trucks apart. Aside from the trucks they are just like the GP35/9.

Pray59

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 11:12:58 AM »
I have not taken any photos of, nor taken the trucks apart, but they have Kato style electrical pickups, and copper nubs that rub copper strips like the Kato style of electrical pickup.

shamoo737

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 11:46:52 AM »
I just happen to have pictures of the truck.

John

SquirrelHollow

• Crew
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 01:29:22 PM »
Thanks for the pictures.

It looks like the gear tower snaps into the side frames.  Is that correct?  Or does it snap into the bottom?

Flat-faced drivers, right?
-Robert

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +698
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 01:34:34 PM »
John,

Did you swap the center axle out?  I thought the wheel was blind? Does it go through 220mm MicroTrack now?

shamoo737

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 03:32:09 PM »
Robert, the tower gears do snap into the sideframe.

Tom, the middle axle is blind. I swap the axles to test if it would pull better with additional powere axle, but it didn't.  I still want to try couple of things before declaring it a failure.
John

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Your choice for ANAL...
  • Respect: +1635
    • DKS Home
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 04:03:26 PM »
Does anyone know where I can find some detail photos of the MTL SD40-2 mechanism and trucks?

I'm trying to figure out if the trucks (probably not anything from the mechanism) could be modified for use under an Nn3 articulated steamer.  I know the diesel to steamer conversion is a big stretch, but I'm searching for alternatives to Marklin's ridiculous marketing strategies and microscopic runs.

I'm just guessing, but it sounds like you're looking to use the trucks without their sideframes. Unfortunately, this is probably not an option, as this type of truck usually cannot function without its sideframes.

You might want to have a look at the new 2-8-2 Japanese steamer from Tenshodo. The mechanism is brilliantly designed and ought to be useful for a variety of projects like this. The drivers are small and it should be fairly simple to reduce it from four to three drivers--easier than trying to adapt diesel trucks for steam locomotive.

Photos at the bottom of this page: http://www.nn3.ca/main/main-japanese-zj-gauge-p7.htm
"Life's a piece of sh!t when you look at it."
                                       —Monty Python

SquirrelHollow

• Crew
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 03:36:08 AM »
Yea, you're right, David.  The whole design is a loser (for my purpose).  From the axles, to electrical pickup, to the point bearings... it's all a no-go.

Thanks guys.

The D51 looks promising, but I'm still waiting for some responses from members of the Nn3 Yahoo group.  Their insights on 'deal-breaker' design features are usually spot-on.  I'm not in a big rush, anyway.
-Robert