Author Topic: Bachman Scenery Materials  (Read 2642 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
Bachman Scenery Materials
« on: January 06, 2010, 07:05:47 PM »
I went to Peachcreek Shops in Laurel to pick up some styrene this week. Of interest, was a large sampling of Bachman ground foams, in containers about the size of the Woodland Scenics stuff, but cheaper. It comes in a wide variety of colors, and grades (fine/medium) .. price was under $6 for a decanter full .. looks interesting .. anyone use it yet?  Their trees also look really good ..

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewCat&catId=182

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
Re: Bachman Scenery Materials
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 07:47:22 PM »
John

I got some of this from them last Spring.  Haven't used it as I'm far from doing any scenery.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 10:10:43 PM »
They replaced all the Scenic Express jugs o' foam with Bachmann at Star Hobby, too.  Did Scenic Express get gobbled up?

When I was there, they were clearancing out the SE packages at half price.  So I got some orange and blue, since that's all that was left... :(

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 01:54:52 AM »
They replaced all the Scenic Express jugs o' foam with Bachmann at Star Hobby, too.  Did Scenic Express get gobbled up?

Still alive and kickin' as far as I know.  Maybe Star had a falling out with them?

PS. [OT] I wish Peach Creek had a more interesting selection of N.  Mostly I go there for paint & supplies, and to drool over the HO intermodal equipment.  But last time I was there (Jan.2)  they had a large new stock of steel-related goods in N, in case anyone's interested.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 01:57:32 AM by GaryHinshaw »

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 08:01:11 AM »
I too am interested in the Bachman stuff, and the JTT trees they are now carrying.  I've never had much success in building my own - southern live oaks are harder they you think, and I have yet to get a good color match for bald or red cyprus.

Peach Creek is ok for N, but you have to watch them like  hawk.  Since my travles have taken me by MBK 3 or 4 times in the last year, I stock up there on detail parts etc, and use Peach Creek for glue, styrene, and the occassional off the shelf kit for something.  Their big draw is they are 30 minutes from my houe - MBK is over an hour.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 01:28:58 AM »
Their big draw is they are 30 minutes from my houe - MBK is over an hour.

at least the new shop doesn't smell like a cat box...  john is a great guy, but man, the cat smell was bad at times. 
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 05:34:05 PM »
Their big draw is they are 30 minutes from my houe - MBK is over an hour.

at least the new shop doesn't smell like a cat box...  john is a great guy, but man, the cat smell was bad at times. 

I thnk the cats are still there .. just in the back

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 06:42:36 PM »
The cat smell was bad.  Another thing about the old place.  It was so rundown that everytime I entered I looked around to see the quickest escape route in case the place caught fire.  If you have passed it recently, it's been completely redone and you wouldn't recognize it.

gerhard_k

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 06:01:38 PM »
Peach Creek is ok for N, but you have to watch them like  hawk. 
My first post here after Lee pointed me to this forum - I live in Edgewater (Mayo), just So. of Annapolis. I'm in HO, which I gather is not the major scale here, but I love the in-depth discussions.

Anyway, I go by PCS quite a lot and have always thought them to be nice people - anything I should be aware of? (and please, I'm not trying to stir up trouble!) -

- Gerhard

Zox

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 07:06:20 PM »
Anyway, I go by PCS quite a lot and have always thought them to be nice people - anything I should be aware of? (and please, I'm not trying to stir up trouble!)

I live in Laurel, so Peach Creek's the nearest model-railroad specialty store for me.

I've never had any problem with them, except that I wish they'd keep N-scale Peco turnouts in stock. :)

If they don't have something, they're willing to order it for you from Walther's. And even though they're primarily HO-oriented, they don't look down on N-scalers, which is a definite plus. (I've been in too many shops where it's HO or nothing...)
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...