Author Topic: Weekend Update 1-31-2009  (Read 6341 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +432
Weekend Update 1-31-2009
« on: January 31, 2010, 06:37:02 AM »
Weekend update time. Last day of January 2010 and only 328 shopping days left until Christmas.

So what did you do. For me, I started working on a Central Valley bridge kit, and built a curved turnout for my engine service terminal. Got tired of waiting for the Atlas shipment to arrive.  Not near a Chris333 quality, but it works nice

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 10:05:57 AM by John »

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1140
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Weekend Update 1-31-2009
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 08:55:27 AM »
Update!  Despite a snowstorm that wasn't suppose to amount to much, but ended up dumping 6-8" on us, Dave Foxx and Philip Hoffman braved the weather and helped me get some major pieces of the layout moved around. 
All photos are by Dave, who realized that no one can photo shop his head into awkward situations if he's on the other side of the camera...

First we see the yard at it's original location, which was becoming more and more problematic because of the lack of decent west end staging, and the traffic patterns that were required because of that.

Next we see the corner next to the infamous closet, which is now inhabited by the new section.  You'll notice the most important part of the project is already complete... That's right, I moved the beer fridge.

First we spent some time out in the very chilly garage constructing the new frame for the west end staging yard, which will be below decks from the Hagerstown yard.  It will be 4 through tracks, plus about 4 or 5 stub end tracks for storing things like MOW equipment, the steam era collection, and other oddballs that won't typically be on the layout.  Each track should be long enough to accommodate a 30+ car train.  It will be accessed from the left via a yet to be built helix in the northwest corner of the room.  We can all thank Dave for getting that fine shot of Phil.

Here's the new section with the existing yard platform set in place on top of it.  I was hoping to avoid it, but it looks like I'm going to have substantially change the engine terminal area, since the relatively fragile round house sticks out into the aisle a bit more than I'm comfortable with.  Here's a preliminary analysis of what I have in mind...

I'm thinking I'll rework the turntable into a 3' x 40" square that will extend into the corner.  This would require either moving the existing roundhouse about 120 degrees around the turntable, or building the larger Hagerstown Roundhouse in that space and then some (as outlined in purple).  This would free up the Elkins roundhouse to possibly be included in the new Elkins space, although the space there is quite limited.

Here's a look into the guts of the new section:

The west staging will be on the new 1/2" plywood deck that's right on top of the joists.  It's a simple 4 track balloon, with a set of stub tracks.  There's about 4.5" of clearance between the yard deck and the staging tracks, which is tight, but I'm pretty satisfied with how the other staging yard has performed, so I'm confident that as long as I exercise care in installing the track and turnouts, it should be relatively worry free.  Just in case, there's soft fiberglass screen guard rails, and plenty of access from below.

The last thing we did was install a 12" x 5' long hollow core door (thanks, Dave!) to hold Elkins, which will for the most part be visible staging.  This is set at a deck height of 50", and will be the end of a long continuous climb from Maryland Junction.  Exactly how the Thomas Sub will curl around to reach this is yet to be determined, but with the additional two feet I'll be extending the peninsula, I'm sure I can make it work.

There's still plenty to do, but now, finally, the terminal points for the Western Maryland Western Lines are all in place.  Given my notoriously slim budget, I anticipate at least a year's worth of work to connect all the dots, but I'm sure I'll scab in some temporary routes to keep some trains running in the meantime.

Thanks again to Phil and Dave for risking life and limb to give me a hand!  (and some beer!)  Haven't heard from either one of the, nor from the State Police, so I'm assuming everyone got home okay...

Last night I stayed up way too late moving trackwork from the Chaffee Branch over to the new Elkins shelf module.  Once I'm done shoveling snow, I'll see if I can start getting it wired.

More news as it happens!
Lee
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 08:57:19 AM by wm3798 »
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Dave V

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +3301
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 08:59:47 AM »
I picked up a Conrail B23-7 at the Great Train Expo in Council Bluffs, IA this weekend.  The 1980 was delivered in 1979, and was the only Conrail locomotive painted with the "Keep it Moving with Conrail" logo.

I also picked up a Digitrax decoder.  I installed the decoder, painted the walkways black, and gave her a little weathering.  She still needs a cab signal box.  She looks good in this all-GE consist (U23B - U25B - B23-7) at the head end of a merchandise, meeting a coal drag led by a pair of Kato SD40s.

Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 09:24:40 AM »
I picked on another pair of Southern Pacific C44-9W's this week.   ;D  

oakcreekco might recognize these or not....

Please no SP hate mail....  :o ::)

Brian

I was messing around with the camera to see if I could get a shot through the trees.  Seems to have worked.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:28:54 AM by flight2000 »
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 09:26:58 AM »
Only thing I did was replace a couple decoders into 2 GP-9s which blew out a few weeks ago.  Also had a C628 which was not working for some reason but realized I had an RS11 which needed a decoder so I switched the one from the C628 to the RS11 and it works fine.  Now I've got to tinker with the C628 to figure out why it would not work.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +687
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 10:13:51 AM »

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +729
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 10:30:24 AM »
I have been working on the transition from the top of the helix onto the upper deck.  The work has been complicated because it includes a transition from 2.33% to level grade, a reverse curve with easements, and a joint between layout sections.  The following photographs show the sub-roadbed in place:

The slight mismatch in height across the joint between layout sections is due to the fact that there is a little bit of upwards spring in the top platform of the helix, and I cannot glue it down until the track is down and the feeder wires have been connected underneath.

I was hoping to have the track in place tonight, but I was slowed down by Tim Horton's Hockey Day In Canada.  It is built but has to spend the night sitting under weights while the Pliobond cures.  Hopefully I can test fit it tomorrow.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

justTRAINcRaZy

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 10:35:28 AM »
We had about 8" of snow Fri night into Sat. That gave me a reprieve from working around the house and allowed me to spend a Saturday doing some scenery.

KB

Around Bill Yard

The Lexington House Track

On the winter side, near Starpet

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +106
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 10:39:23 AM »
Just more decoder installs for me :)

oakcreekco

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 10:42:28 AM »
Brian, only the "real ones" make me cry when I see them.

You did an oustanding job.
A "western modeler" that also runs NS.

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 11:01:35 AM »
I picked up a Conrail B23-7 at the Great Train Expo in Council Bluffs, IA this weekend.  The 1980 was delivered in 1979, and was the only Conrail locomotive painted with the "Keep it Moving with Conrail" logo.

Nice unit Dave . That perfect PRR trailer in the background , did you do that ? Paint color ? Decal available ?

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 11:04:45 AM »
Update!  Despite a snowstorm that wasn't suppose to amount to much, but ended up dumping 6-8" on us, Dave Foxx and Philip Hoffman braved the weather and helped me get some major pieces of the layout moved around. 
All photos are by Dave, who realized that no one can photo shop his head into awkward situations if he's on the other side of the camera...

Next we see the corner next to the infamous closet, which is now inhabited by the new section.  You'll notice the most important part of the project is already complete... That's right, I moved the beer fridge.

More news as it happens!
Lee

Well we all know who the honcho is , and who the laborer is . :)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +432
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 11:14:45 AM »
This just screams out .. "caption me"

Dave V

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +3301
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 11:18:57 AM »
Richie,

You're not the first to compliment my "unit...". ;D

That's a stock Athearn 40' Freuhof Z-van.
Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

SecretWeapon

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 11:32:09 AM »
Mike