Author Topic: Truss Bridge  (Read 1410 times)

Gyroflyer

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Truss Bridge
« on: January 08, 2011, 08:25:52 PM »
Hi all,

I've noticed that Z has come a long way within the last few years and I've also noticed that products for this scale are coming just as fast. The one thing I don't see much variety of is the good ol’ truss bridge. I see there is a brass kit but is there any other bridge available that I haven’t seen or heard about? Looking at some back issues of Z Track, I’ve seen advertisements for products not easily found with online searches so this is why I ask about the bridge.

Thanks.

Mark

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +6357
Re: Truss Bridge
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 09:07:44 PM »
There aren't many Z scale bridges, period. For trusses, we have a couple of really nice brass kits from TrainCat (if they're ever released), and the make-believe brass kits from Micron Art. There's also an old wood pony truss from RSLaserKits.

If you want a cheap plastic steel truss, you can start with the fantasy-land Atlas one-piece N scale truss (below), chop it apart, and reassemble it, along with some Evergreen strip stock, into a fairly acceptable Z scale through or deck truss.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:14:04 PM by David K. Smith »

Gyroflyer

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 12:21:59 AM »
Wow, that's unbelievable that a truss bridge would be that tough to get for this scale. It has always seemed to me that if you think about trains, you think of truss bridges.

I’ve done some scratch building before so I guess I could always try this. Are there many Z scalers out there who have scratch built this type of bridge? The Atlas bridge idea is a good start also. Thanks David.

Mark

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +6357
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 08:27:34 AM »
Are there many Z scalers out there who have scratch built this type of bridge?

A couple. If there are any more, they haven't revealed themselves on the Internet. Indeed, the Z scale market is thought to be small, but the dearth of modelers publishing online makes it seem even smaller. I sometimes think there are more into T Gauge. http://www.t-gauge.net/forum3/