Author Topic: Weekend Update 1/24/2010  (Read 11349 times)

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +204
Re: Weekend Update 1/24/2010
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2010, 02:03:43 PM »
Recently got some graff done on a few models:

Hiroe,

Who makes those gons?

Thanks,
Brian
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

Hiroe

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2010, 03:14:09 PM »

Hiroe,

Who makes those gons?

Thanks,
Brian

Brian,
Before i answer, you should know what they're not your regular folgers crystals N scale.

The upper one is a kit put out by American Standard Models, and the fishbelly is one of the older Atlas/Roco O releases (this tooling has been resurrected as part of their Trainman line).

--Drew
wubba lubba dub dub

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2010, 03:30:22 PM »
DRew,

Shouldn't that be another list, and not on the N list. It's real nice, but not exactly topical.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2010, 03:36:20 PM »
In Drew's defense, the Weekend Update column only appears in the N Scale forum...  An extended conversation about his project might migrate, though...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2010, 03:55:55 PM »
In Drew's defense, the Weekend Update column only appears in the N Scale forum...

True. The Weekend Update is relatively scale-agnostic. No one has kicked me out for my Z scale stuff... yet.

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2010, 04:00:21 PM »
Everyone's modeling is so good, I can't tell what scale things are half the time anymore anyway.

Erik

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2010, 05:02:27 PM »

Hiroe,

Who makes those gons?

Thanks,
Brian

Brian,
Before i answer, you should know what they're not your regular folgers crystals N scale. 

--Drew

Ah heck. Wish you hadn't spilled the beans. You'd have had Ed K gasping for breath. And Vollmer too.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2010, 10:09:46 PM »
I got nothin' against Drew nor his modeling, just hate it when N scale gets its face rubbed with models it doesn't have. If this were a kitbash or scratchbuild, something that showed some technique we could use, I probably wouldn't have said anything.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2010, 11:51:17 PM »
just hate it when N scale gets its face rubbed with models it doesn't have.

Understandable -- but only to a point.  Every scale has its limitations and tradeoffs, but that's just the way it is, so we have to learn to live with them.  I try not to view it as a matter of "face rubs", and I think it's a mistake to let limitations become an impediment to appreciating good work done in other scales.

I have multiple scales -- N, HO, and O (with fantasies about Z and S), and even that is not a panacea because I end up having to multiplex my time & resources between them, so sometimes it seems like I get very little done.  Again, it comes down to the tradeoffs.

Ed  
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:53:25 PM by ednadolski »

Hiroe

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2010, 12:10:07 AM »
I got nothin' against Drew nor his modeling, just hate it when N scale gets its face rubbed with models it doesn't have. If this were a kitbash or scratchbuild, something that showed some technique we could use, I probably wouldn't have said anything.

Well, if you're going to play the game of "who's scale has less stuff" ::), N is actually better off than O. Sure, there's a ton of stuff put out in 3-rail, but the vast majority of it is useless to the two-rail scale crowd. frankly, i'd *LOVE* to have the variety of N available to me in O. Those two gondolas pictured above are two of the three *total* plastic modern gondolas available for scale-O. Beyond that, i can either pay hundreds of dollars for hard-to-find brass, or scratchbuild.

Techniques you can use? Well, the second of those two cars is intentionally warped with a heat gun, something i've also done in N.

But since you insist ;):

This is a scratchbuilt scale test car i built over the holidays. Main body is actually a wood block that i trimmed the major shape of with a table saw, then went to town with a set of files. The wheel bearings were trimmed out of a cast-white-metal freight truck; and as O has an extremely limited selection of decals, i've had to scrounge what i can from secondhand out-of-print Walthers sets.
wubba lubba dub dub

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2010, 04:25:48 PM »

Hiroe,

Who makes those gons?

Thanks,
Brian

Brian,

The upper one is a kit put out by American Standard Models, and the fishbelly is one of the older Atlas/Roco O releases (this tooling has been resurrected as part of their Trainman line).

--Drew

No wonder I couldn't find them... ::)   Because the coupler on the top gon looks an awful lot like a McHenry, thought they were N Scale and Athearn had slipped one by us... :P

Nice work though either way.

Thanks,
Brian
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742