Author Topic: Weekend Update 1/24/2010  (Read 11348 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
Weekend Update 1/24/2010
« on: January 24, 2010, 07:08:07 AM »
Another weekend ..

Not much modeling for me. I finished ballasting one of the two yards on my layout .. also put together the bachman sand and fuel racks .. need to instal those.

Went to O's fan fest
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 08:12:00 AM by John »

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Re: Weeke ed Update 1/24/2010
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 07:19:18 AM »
Ah! I was just about to start this toppic.

I got  few things off my workbench this week.
The Athearn Mack R dump in green looks really nice.

I wanted to have a few matching trucks for a construction company, but a yard full of the same trucks is rather boring. I found this truck on truckpaper.com, a used truck listings website.

This is a Mack DM800 from New Hampshire. I like the look and wanted a dump truck like that for my railroad.

Lineside models produces a DM800 dump truck, but the results are rather cartoonish:

I started with the cab and built a new underframe from styrene.

I tossed the bed and wheels. The new bed came from an old Ultimate N SCale kit. The wheels are from Atlas and Con-Cor.

The truck still needs side view mirrors, headlights and signals but I think its a good start.

Also complete is an Americanised Wiking 28' dump trailer:

Also almost complete is a Conrail GP10:

The model is a LL Canada GP9 hood and chassis with a GP18 side still and handrails. The cab is modified from an Atlas SD26 part.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 07:38:44 AM »
The pig parade continues

Assortment 2

Richie Dost

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 08:07:17 AM »
Made some headway on the farm. Completed a pair of disused corn cribs, converted a saloon into a tractor shed/workshop, and started adding details. Should have the barn finished by the end of the day today.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 08:12:29 AM by David K. Smith »

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Re: Weekend Update 1/24/2010
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 08:42:28 AM »
That wild weedy look around the scene is spot on David .

Richie Dost

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 08:55:58 AM »
Laid the track into and out of the Enola diesel house.  I wired them with SPST switches so that each enginehouse track (and eventually the two pit tracks) can be toggled on/off.  That way I can "park" non-decoder equipped locos, problem locos, or anything else there that does have a decoder without continually cooking them with current.

I may or may not get a photo in for the weekend.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 08:58:55 AM »
Nice work gents - Richie's got me thinking TOFC...

I'm full throtle on my little roundy round layout for our son's best buddy's 7th birthday - five days left and counting - here's this weeks progress, shot in out cold, dark garage where it's being built....

I know "S" curves are usually a "no no" but this one works fine - even when the SD 40-2 is cranked up with 8 cars behind - and it breaks up the roundy round look....

The roads are 60 thou styrene; painted and weathered with powders (well; some are - still working)....I have five days left.....better highball !
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Scott Lupia

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 08:59:15 AM »
Finally got to take some photos on my layout. These shots are all around the west end of City Yard in Scranton on the Erie Lackawanna.

This shot is train CS9's power crossing Bridge 60. The train entered City Yard, cut off from its train, moved west across the bridge and is now backing east into the yard for the service area. CS9 normally rates small power but today a U33C and U36C are in charge.

Moments earlier, CS9's power was heading west off its train. The Jersey Central has trackage under Bridge 60 on the west bank of the Lackawanna River. The CNJ is just about to pull out of PA and soon this track will be gone. Today all that is left are the tell tales hanging above tracks that exist only in memories and photos.

After CS9's power headed back east into the yard some time was spent next to the D&H tracks waiting for a train. Nothing running on the D&H today unforatunately. The D&H has pulled up one of its tracks recently. In the background is the Lackawanna Ave bridge. This bridge, like Bridge 60 crosses the D&H, the Lackawanna River and the CNJ tracks. Today, even this bridge is gone, replaced with a new span.

Scott Lupia
"All I wanted was a Pepsi"

justTRAINcRaZy

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 09:21:29 AM »
This week worked on the Winston Salem Southbound's South Fork Viaduct. Being hidden off the road, I had a limited number of pics to work with. One of mine and one from Scott Ridenhour are at the bottom.

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 09:36:51 AM »
Here's the latest engines I just completed, in this case a pair of C630M's for BC Rail.  Lot's of swearing involved trying to get the fiber optics run just right.  ::) Relocated the nose headlight from above the cab to the nose and added two sets of ditch lights.  Normal details added as well.

Brian

I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
David, nice corn cribs!
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 10:30:42 AM »
Not much for me.  Catching up on decoder work, and doing some room prep for next week's benchwork bonanza.

I am perilously close to obtaining a new camera, too.  I've sworn to my wife that the first thing I'll do with it is complete the pictures for a pending article for Pam.  If that proves to be a winner, it will pay for the camera and then some!

Scott, your EL bridge is jaw dropping.  Phenomenal stuff.

Pudster, the Andrew Junction is looking absolutely perfect for its intended purpose.  What a great gift!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

NS-CRE

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 10:34:20 AM »
Nice work Kevin --- you are going to have to teach me how to make trees that look that good!  Looking forward to seeing it in person at NC Rail Run in a few weeks.

Marcus

This week worked on the Winston Salem Southbound's South Fork Viaduct. Being hidden off the road, I had a limited number of pics to work with. One of mine and one from Scott Ridenhour are at the bottom.

Norfolk Southern CR&E Division
Charleston, Roanoke & Eastern Railway
www.kntower.com

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 11:40:48 AM »
BDL168's arrived on Thursday and I spent some time wiring them up and continued to work on the signaling logic with some help from Dupes.  I need to pick up 4 SE8C's so the signals can start getting hooked up. The logic uses full NORAC aspects for interlockings.

Got a chance to work on some more scenery by Stark mill, but vacation starts tomorrow so hopefully I will get quite a bit more done this coming week.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 12:25:53 PM »
BDL168's arrived on Thursday and I spent some time wiring them up and continued to work on the signaling logic with some help from Dupes.  I need to pick up 4 SE8C's so the signals can start getting hooked up. The logic uses full NORAC aspects for interlockings.

Will 4 SE8c's do your whole layout?