Author Topic: Con-Cor Collector sets  (Read 17562 times)

Big Train

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
Re: Con-Cor Collector sets
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2014, 08:23:28 AM »
I have the "Special Edition" Canadian National Maple Leaf set also in a wood grain box from about 1985? 1986? No edition number is on the label. The smooth side pax cars and PA1 (powered) and PB1 (unpowered) painted in the green/gold scheme from the 1950's.This was similar to the Grand Trunk Western set released around the same time, I believe.

AFAIK, the PA1 was demonstrated for CN, but they never purchased any. But as wm3798 has stated already, things were different then for N scale. Guys were fighting like cats in an alley to get a set at that time.

I wonder how many PA1s in these sets have split pinion gears?

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2014, 03:01:19 PM »
... Judging by some of the comments regarding the CC collector sets, they were not exactly faithful to the prototype...

Most of the sets were fairly faithful, given the state of technology and the engine and varnish models that were available at the time. 
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1766
    • My website
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2014, 03:59:06 PM »
Well, out of that big list Bryan posted....

I'm wondering which four sets Todd Treaster does NOT have????

Inquiring minds want to know.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

Viperjim1

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2014, 04:59:05 PM »
The con cor sets were very nice I have a few myself , but wouldn't it be great if the did another Concor Kato project , those sets would be really nice as not a lot of those are modeled anymore by manufacturers .

Viperjim1

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2017, 01:54:10 AM »
Anyone know what type locos were used in the con cor grand trunk western set?

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2017, 11:26:58 AM »
Con-Cor F3s I think...
~Ian

NorsemanJack

• Crew
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2017, 02:49:11 AM »
Holy tread-bump Batman!!

I never realized that they produced so many of these.  At least somebody made an effort to produce a "complete" NCL.  That was the only one that ever really caught my eye, although as others stated, for the time we need to give credit to Con-cor.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2017, 10:33:28 AM »
Back when I collected everything and anything, I had two of the NCL sets along with add-on sleepers and domes, and had four custom-painted Kato F3 units in an A-B-B-A configation. Got to run the full consist at one of the Washington DC area national conventions in the late 1980s on what was at the time the largest N-Trak layout ever assembled, and it took 45 minutes to make the full circuit.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

atsf3751

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
Re: Con-Cor Collector sets (off topic)
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2017, 06:00:47 PM »
I remember the NTrak layouts and how each year Jim tried to make them larger and more complex. My first NTrak layout was in San Diego in 1974 and it was only 12' by 74'. But we sure turned the train show hall on its' ear. Always had a huge crowd surrounding our display. :)
Marty Young
San Diego, CA

robertlh

• Respect: +1
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2020, 02:07:32 PM »
Is anybody still around ref this thread?  I am new to this forum but found this thread via a Google search.

I acquired seven of these Collector Sets from an estate and am trying to find some specifics.

TIA

Robert

Lenny53

• Crew
  • Respect: +1560
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2020, 03:14:47 PM »
Chesapeake and Ohio Passenger Set #0001-004307 E8A, E8B, E8A with Rowa cars.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2020, 03:50:16 PM »
Is anybody still around ref this thread?  I am new to this forum but found this thread via a Google search.

I acquired seven of these Collector Sets from an estate and am trying to find some specifics.

TIA

Robert

If you can find the latest Armstrong N Scale Reference Guide that might help (but it's like $50!).

I have some old Concor catalogs that might list some of them.

Mark

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1720
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2020, 04:59:17 PM »

Specifics like what? And what sets do you have? There were quite a few (and AFAIK none of them are worth a fortune).

-Mark

robertlh

• Respect: +1
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2020, 12:04:34 AM »
First - yeah, I know they are only market value - so not looking at that. 

I ended up with #23 US Army Hospital, #26 Fleche D'OR, #27 UP Express Service and #28 Add-on set, #29 Chessie Safety Express, #30 Royal American Circus, #31 BN Executive (only 1/2 that set) and Also U.S. Army (no number) but I think maybe set #5.

I'd specifically like to find detailed "car list" for each set, especially the UP Express Service - while I have what I believe to be "all" the units, I'd like to know which car#'s were in each box.  Also the Army set.  I just like to have detail, not that there was 12 cars in the set.

I got all this stuff just mixed in paper boxes, padded boxes and display cases.  I've sorted it and think I have the sets put together appropriately but can't find detailed set information.  Like KATO, every boxed set lists very specific car name,type, style and Road #.  I guess I'm looking for that detail.

Thanks for the welcome and comments.

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +182
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2020, 12:19:15 AM »
(AFAIK none of them are worth a fortune).

Tell that to the guys who have them at train shows and have high price tags on them.    I swear that I have seen the same guy with the same CMStP&P set for ten years with the same three hundred banana plus price on it.  I am sure that he wonders why he never has sold it.

I sold three of them on FeePay.

The Penn passenger set with the FM Eries (V-Line on PA chassis) fetched what I had in it.

The ATSF Valley Flyer fetched about five dollars less than what I had in it.

I had a B&O passenger set with the powder blue six cars and the powder blue and grey USRA heavy Pacific.  Probably the only thing original about it was the box.  I had no idea if the six cars in it when I sold it were the same six that were in it when I bought it. I know for a fact that the locomotive was different, as the chassis on the original had turned to powder in my hand quite some time before I sold it.  I advised prospective bidders of the above when I listed it.  It fetched fifty dollars more than what I had in it.  This included the cost of the replacement locomotive.  I highly doubt that it was the MTs on the cars and locomotive that drove the price that high.