Author Topic: Questions for you Canuck modelers  (Read 2740 times)

BN1970

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
Re: Questions for you Canuck modelers
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 02:33:31 PM »
I used the grain elevator in the far background as the bases for my Pioneer Grain elevator model.  There are several more elevators on the South side of the harbour like the above photos.  But since 9/11 they have become off limits to the general public with security fences - video cameras.

Brian

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 10:59:27 AM »
That's too bad re the access for phototography, I was really impressed how close I could get to trains when I visited. Where else is good for train photography in Vancouver? (Looking for places to go as I'm planning to be in Vancouver from about June) Do you have any photos of your model of the elevator on line? (The parts of your layout that I've seen in the magazines have been very impressive.)

Simon 

BN1970

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 02:56:46 PM »
Simon,  Using Google Maps I'll list the major Vancouver area rail facilities, starting in North Vancouver which is where your grain elevator photo was taken.  I'll give you an address that should  allow Google Maps to give a Satellite view of the area.

Google Maps:        http://maps.google.com/

1. ex BCR Yard now  CN:                           Philip Ave & McKeen Ave, North Vancouver, BC

2. SASK Wheat Pool (your photo) CN:          Low Level Rd, North Vancouver, BC

3. Cascadia Terminal CPR:                         Bridgeway St, Vancouver, BC

4. BNSF Station/Yard - Amtrak - CN & CPR:  404 Brunette Ave, New Westminster, BC

5. CNs Thorton Yard:                                116 ave & 136 st, Surrey, BC

6. CPR Yard:                                           Port Coquitlam Station, port coquitlam, BC

7. Southern Railway of  BC:                       Trapp Rd, New Westminster, BC

8. Brownsville transloading area:                Timberland Rd, Surrey, BC

As for on line photos I've let that go, although I should do something so I can post a photo.  On my new layout the plan is to double the size of Pioneer Grain terminal, which I hope to start doing this spring.

Brian

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 04:53:18 PM »
Thanks Brian, I'll take a look at those on Google. The first two I know about thanks to Tim Horton(the photo of the elevator is actually mine from my previous trip) but the others are all new to me.

Erik, as promised last night, but not delivered due to getting home late - commuter train failures at the moment are a daily occurrence - the trains to or from Jasper as per the Trackside Guide.

48151 Jasper to Prince Rupert Ocs Train
49851 Kamloops to Jasper Ocs Train
49951 Jasper to Kamloops Ocs Train
51351 Jasper-Swan Landing-Jasper
98751 Jasper to Grand Prairie

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 05:38:53 PM »
Thanks again for all the info guys.  This is good stuff.

Erik

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 11:21:47 AM »
This is somewhat related to my original questions.  Is the portion of the CN mainline that runs between Jasper and Vancouver double track or single track?  It's hard to tell from the aerial images I'm looking at.

Thanks,
Erik

BN1970

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 12:33:38 PM »
Erik, its single track.  But CN and the CPR share track in the Fraser Canyon to do directional running.  CPR track is  Eastbound  /  CN is Westbound.

Brian

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 06:21:17 PM »
The directional running section is a bit of a distance away from Jasper though. If Erik is interested in local area around Jasper specifically, there would be no CP there, and trains would be travelling in both directions.