Author Topic: ModelFlex Paint Issue  (Read 1921 times)

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +141
ModelFlex Paint Issue
« on: January 14, 2010, 05:25:15 PM »
This is a first for me in 11 plus years of using Modelflex paint.  Anyone ever see this happen before?  This is a brand new bottle that I received via mail order this week.  Of the three bottles I bought, two were like this one and the other one was fine.  The paint acts like a sponge when touched.  Strange...

Can this be saved with a little distilled water?

Thanks,
Brian

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +195
Re: ModelFlex Paint Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 05:54:43 PM »
The owner of my LHS said this happens since Model Flex puts their paint in plastic bottles.  He would always tell me to open to bottle before I left the shop, so I could make sure the paint was good.  He claimed Badger was aware of the problem, but was not interested in switching to glass bottles.  I believe your only recourse is to return it.  I still like their paint even though this does happen every once in a while.  Thanks.
Jeff Lopez

ljudice

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 06:29:42 PM »
Hmmm... Thought modelflex was always in plastic bottles???

I was told this was because the product froze at some point in transit...

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 06:51:29 PM »
Yep, I've gotten some of that in the Clear Flat.  Badger sent me some replacements, and a few of those had it too.   I don't buy too much Badger any more.

Ed

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +141
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 07:49:28 PM »
I agree that I'll be buying paint at the local shop an hours drive from here from now on.  I thought it may have froze on the way over as well, but the other bottle was perfect.  I shot a GP35 with it this evening, no issues.

Thanks,
Brian
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

oakcreekco

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 08:06:17 PM »
When these first came out years ago, I ran into several. Plastic isn't as good for product life compared to glass. Cost is a factor, but I really liked their paints. Check bottles before you leave the shop.........always.

I had a few "frozen" ones too. Looked just like the picks.

I quit painting about 10 years ago, but I was using all "water based" paints at the time, and had great results when everything was set "just right"
A "western modeler" that also runs NS.

bsoplinger

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 03:12:11 PM »
I was told this was because the product froze at some point in transit...

Yup, that’s why the only paint I buy in winter is directly from Badger at Springfield. I figure the few days of shipping it takes to get to me if I order direct or my LHS if I get it there has way too high a chance of freezing. The glass vs plastic bottle also affects the likelihood of freezing.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2078
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 01:42:14 PM »
That Bull Frog snot is affected by freezing as well . I wonder if the two share an ingredient that allows this to happen .

Richie Dost

oakcreekco

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 03:09:39 PM »
H2O???
A "western modeler" that also runs NS.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 05:21:24 PM »
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Walkercolt

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 01:44:38 AM »
Acrylics that get too hot in shipping can turn into "glop" in the bottle too. I wish Tamiya and Gunge Sanyo would put out RR colors. Both of them are "friendly" to use than most other acrylic paints (like not clogging the tip of the airbrush all the time!)