Author Topic: ConCor Truck Pins - looking  (Read 1121 times)

train1

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
ConCor Truck Pins - looking
« on: January 15, 2010, 01:48:29 PM »
 For some reason that I cannot fathom - Old Concor freight cars have these these huge truck pins and complimentary holes in their underbody.

I volunteered myself to do a simple truck replacement for a fellow modeller on a vintage Concor boxcar. The plan was to just add M/T trucks w/couplers....easy right ?
No, the original trucks and pins were missing.

Other than the obvious - the M/T pins or any other pin is way too small to fit snuggly in the boxcars underbody holes. I attempted to make the hole dimension smaller with styrene tube/ model aircraft tube aluminum but to no avail.
The M/T truck is a simple refit to adjust the pin hole diameter with a small drill bit to accomodate a larger pin.

.ny suggestions ?

Or does any one have a couple to spare ?- ;D

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: ConCor Truck Pins - looking
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 01:50:30 PM »
Take the little bolster hole that comes on the sprue with the MT bolster pin, and insert into the Concor bolster.  You have to take the floor out and install it from the top, but that's what that little piece is for.

Then use the standard MT bolster pin.  Very simple game!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

train1

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 02:43:08 PM »
This is where I guy like me hits myself over the head (numerous times ) with a large ball-peen hammer.

Thanks Lee - I'll give it a try. I should have thought of it because I have a tray full of those pieces in my coupler repair/modification box.

Walkercolt

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 01:04:44 AM »
Train, if the MT "hex nuts" are loose in the Con-Cor pockets (it happens sometimes), epoxy, contact cement, Goo, or CA with rubber added (the black stuff) will hold them. You may need the MT .020" plastic washer on some Con-Cor cars to clear "stuff" on the underframe, or the edge of the car ends, or a little bit of "machine work". If I had a dime for every Con-Cor car I've converted for customers at the shop..... ::)