Author Topic: Randy's CF7 kits are coming!  (Read 12900 times)

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
Re: Randy's CF7 kits are coming!
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2010, 02:07:04 AM »
I noticed BNSF owned one too, although don't think it was ever used in service or repainted out of the Washington shortline's colours from which it was acquired.

Two were technically owned by the BNSF as the result of the purchase of the WCR in 1996, but were sold off to shortline spinoffs soon thereafter without being renumbered, repainted, or to the best of my knowledge, even being put into revenue service on the BNSF.

Both those 2 are in shortline service still today -- one in Nebraska one in Illinois.  Both were in Illinois for many years as the IR apparently leased/borrowed the other from the NKCR until some time recently.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 02:14:53 AM by Hyperion »
-Mark

RockGp40

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2010, 10:04:26 PM »
Any word on these? Randy's page hasn't been updated since the initial announcement.
No farms, no food. Support your local farmer's market!

I stand with Israel.

ArtinCA

• Crew
  • Get over it, they're not going to make that!
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2010, 02:30:39 AM »
Last I heard from Randy on Trainboard, there was some issues with the etchings. Castings are all done, but the etchings are giving him fits. Hopefully something will break loose soon.

Art R.
Art in Iowa
Modeling in N scale
Go full foobie or go home!!
http://adventuresinmodeling.blogspot.com/

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2010, 11:42:57 AM »
I'd have to say that Randys casting skills have improved quite a bit since his 44 Tonner, at least it looks that way from the photos. Kudos to him. I just started to doing some casting and its pretty fun.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

extra7000south

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2010, 02:21:44 PM »
I have my 1996 GP7/GP9 non-dynamic here waiting for Randy to finish up on the CF7 kit.  ;D

Glenn
Petal, MS
Modeling Southern Railway In N {Normal} Scale

MGSC-NRHS
http://www.msrailroads.com/MGS.htm

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2035
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2012, 11:40:58 AM »
Hey, this project is now alive and well again.

RC Brooks turned out to be my salvation on understanding both AutoCAD and railspeak.

Artwork finished, done, brass photoetch sheets arrived.   Pilot model assembled and the photoetch parts fit properly.

I had the pilot model displayed at Bedford, almost but not quite finished.   I'll post photos on this thread when it gets done, probably this week.

The pricing will be $49 for the kit, including your choice of frame sides and cab version.   There are two photoetch sheets, one of .005 for steps and details, and .010 for all the handrails and heavier detail.   You need an Atlas Phase 1 GP7 non-dynamic to start from, although purists can (with a lot of cutting) adapt an Atlas GP15 frame to fit.    I'll have a very limited number of Atlas Phase 1 non-dynamic long hoods availalble for an additional $5 each.  One of the strengths of this approach is that I'm NOT copying the Atlas long-hood, I'm using it, so the level of detail there is OEM Atlas.  Remember that ATSF themselves copied the GP7 hood, cut 6" off the bottom of their copy, on the model that 6" nests into the frame rails.   There is a resin plug part to fill the number board holes on the long hood.

We really took it up a notch on the photoetch details.  Everything you need is on those two sheets, including all handrails, cab awnings, radio plane, mirrors, steps, cut levers, MU cables, etc.   I'm working up a deal with BLMA to include the 15" drop grabs for the long hood as well with the kit.   So you won't need to go fishing around for more details to do the kit right.

I've still got all the emails from 2010-on sent to cf7@randgust.com - that's the official waiting list and models will be offered in order of response to that email.   Haven't lost anybody on that list yet, even if you haven't had a response back from it.   If you're on it, you're still on it, if you haven't sent contact information in now is probably the time to do it as it has become just quite the list!

I won't start filling orders until early-mid October, you'll be contacted by Email to confirm and send via PayPal.   Back to writing the instructions...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:49:00 PM by randgust »

superchief

• Crew
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2012, 10:39:05 PM »
WOW....been following your work for sometime Randy, awesome work....your Winslow La Posada building was a favorite since I will be modeling it also....the CF7 is a little out of my time frame, but since I am here in Texas still love those engines...just joined and had to comment on your modeling...keep up the GREAT work!! :D

randgust

• Crew
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2012, 08:56:42 AM »
OK, so here's the pilot model that I finished to check the fit of all the photoetchings.  It's important to emphasize that NOTHING is added to this model that isn't with the kit or the base Atlas GP.  All the handrails, details, cut levers, hoses, etc. are included, and the BLMA grab irons as well, thanks to Craig.   Decals are Microscale.

2471 was the first unit built with the angular 'Topeka' cab.

You can see Craig's nice 15" drop grabs here, and if you're doing something like this there's no reason to not take it to that level:

The handrails are one piece per item; stanchions are rails are etched together.  The trick is a drilling jig for each side that comes with the kit.  So there's much less chance you'll mess it up.  It works really well.

This shot shows off the CF7-unique cut levers, the .005 etched steps, and the .005 brass radio ground plane plate above the headlight.

These are posted here before I even update my own web page!

randgust

• Crew
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2012, 11:28:20 AM »
OK, I'm just starting to notify off the original interest list of emails.  I had enough parts built up already that I can begin shipping.  The only thing that might 'get you' is if you changed emails on me in the interim. 

The one thing I did do last week was to redo the round cab master.  I just wasn't happy with it.  When I assembled and photographed the pilot model with all the details on it I decided to lower the roof after doublechecking all my measurements again.  This is the way it looks now, on the pilot model with the brass steps and pilot details in place:

My web page is updated now, still taking interest emails.

I also put one of those wonderful Richmond Controls microscpically small golden yellow LED's inside the cab roof of 2471, wired off of the original board.  Worked great, that was the last piece of the puzzle here.

That shot shows the MU cables, cut levers, all the other goodies I've supplied here.

RWCJr

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2012, 10:02:38 PM »
Beautiful model!!! My modeling is transition era ATSF. But ran many of the prototype CF-7s working as an  engineer on the Old Slaton Division (a part of the former Plains Division) from 1972 to 77. Just might have to give one a try. Thanks for the postings.

randgust

• Crew
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2012, 08:34:30 AM »
I'm stretching it myself, just not as far.  On my home layout I model '72, so the 'newest' CF7 I can prove was out was maybe 2614 in the just-released yellowbonnet with black trucks.   

But at that point they were sent to Clovis, NM for the potash trains with the F7B units.  Whole fleet of 'em.  I've found no evidence at all they were ever assigned to Winslow, Phoenix, or anyplace else in the state of Arizona.   I suspect it is because of the lack of dynamic brakes when the entire state is basically one big hill up and down.  So you have to be a real ATSF junkie to bust me on it, but .... yeah. 

Oh, and digging around in more photos I've confirmed it.  There's a third frame, maybe only on one locomotive, and not sure for how long.  2616 had a plate welded on the outside BETWEEN the three bolster stiffners, and the interior fishbelly,  fairly early.   Shows in a '74 shot.  It's like a half-closed frame, front still open from the trucks toward the nose, and closed from the trucks toward the fishbelly, and so far it's the only unit I've seen with it, but yeah, it's definitely true.   There's a third frame variation.

RockGp40

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2012, 09:24:43 AM »
Worked on a CF7 yesterday, MDDE #2628, ex-ATSF 2628, ATSF 20C.    :P

Randy, you said an Atlas Phase I GP7 as the chassis for the shell, correct?

Brian
No farms, no food. Support your local farmer's market!

I stand with Israel.

randgust

• Crew
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2012, 11:13:40 AM »
Yep, Phase 1 non-dynamic brake, I think the shell pn is 280200 or something like that.  Or you can do the entire body shell.  Or use an existing shell.

I've got about a dozen of them hoarded if you can't find one via Atlas, but I'll freely admit I'm marking them up because I don't get a discount myself (and to encourage people to get them directly from Atlas).

There's some differences between the 1996 chassis with two light boards and the 2006 chassis with one long light board, the 2006 won't need any grinding.  The 1996 will take some, I'm prepping supplemental instructions.  The GP15 chassis instructions are being worked on as I type here.   That's comparatively difficult but it can be done.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3125
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2012, 08:16:50 PM »

Oh, and digging around in more photos I've confirmed it.  There's a third frame, maybe only on one locomotive, and not sure for how long.  2616 had a plate welded on the outside BETWEEN the three bolster stiffners, and the interior fishbelly,  fairly early.   Shows in a '74 shot.  It's like a half-closed frame, front still open from the trucks toward the nose, and closed from the trucks toward the fishbelly, and so far it's the only unit I've seen with it, but yeah, it's definitely true.   There's a third frame variation.

Maybe that was a repair of a cracked frame on a sing unit?  Was the cap on both sides?

randgust

• Crew
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2012, 08:39:51 PM »
Yup, all very symetrical on 2616.  Found another picture of it I'd never noticed in "Santa Fe's Diesel Fleet" taken in May of '72 with this 'half closed' frame, in Warbonnet.

Which makes NO SENSE as two pages later there's a shot of 2614 (which remember, lower number = newer unit) in September of '72, with an open frame.

There's construction shots of 2584; being built (not rehabbed) with closed frame; 2638 with an open frame (makes sense), 2571 with a closed frame.

Looks to me like 2616 was an expiriment.   The more I study these these the more I stumble over.

The story that's been repeated over and over is that this was the reaction when Cleburne found out that Topeka had substituted a milder steel when they'd fabricated the I-beams, and they were beginning to see the ends droop.  But that conflicts with what I see on 2616, where the inside fishbelly was reinforced first!