Author Topic: Decoders for Original Atlas/Kato RS-3s  (Read 922 times)

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +729
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Decoders for Original Atlas/Kato RS-3s
« on: January 10, 2010, 07:22:40 PM »
I have two of the original Atlas/Kato RS-3s which I would like to convert to DCC, and am wondering which decoder to use.

Train Control Systems shows a CN-GP decoder installation for the Atlas/Kato RS-11 which is the same mechanism, but the hood clearances are a lot tighter on the RS-3.

I would like to keep any required milling of the frames to a minimum.

Anyone done this?

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

DaveB

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Decoders for Original Atlas/Kato RS-3s
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 09:23:18 PM »
I think the TCS CN was designed for the RS3, while the CN-GP was a modification designed for GP 7s and 9s, although they may fit the RS3.  There is a lot of installation information on the TCS website.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1140
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 09:37:40 PM »
The CN will fit.  The CN GP fits better ;D

Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +729
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 09:51:40 PM »
Lee:

Thank you; that is what I wanted to hear.  Are there any modifications to make it fit?  Better yet, have you any photographs of an installation?

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1140
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 10:16:56 PM »
Well, I do these on occasion in exchange for a roll of quarters, so I don't want to give away the whole store, but yes there are a few minor mods you need to make.  I use a dremel to create a channel along the top of the frame to nest the wires in to prevent them from interfering with the shell, and I'll cut out the contact tab on the top of the frame half to make a hole for the feeds to go into the motor.

Minor surgery.  Just make sure you insulate properly, follow the wiring diagram precisely, and do a readback on your programming track to make sure nothing is fouled before you apply track power.  Also, before you finalize the installation, trim your motor leads to be the same length in case you have to reverse them to get your direction straight...  It does matter.  Depending on whether you want long or short hood forward, you'll either want grey on the top or bottom...  The wired part of the chip always goes in the end you want to be the front.

Once you sort out the direction (the right headlight comes on with the direction of movement) then trim the shorter wire for the top contact and close her up.

Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 04:27:55 AM »
They are a lot easier now. Mine have DN93's installed. Needed to strip all of the shrink wrap just to get them in the shell.