Author Topic: Con-Cor Smoothside Cars and Micro-Trains Replacement Trucks  (Read 1956 times)

NE4449

• Respect: 0
Con-Cor Smoothside Cars and Micro-Trains Replacement Trucks
« on: January 08, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
I am thinking about taking a Con-Cor 85' smoothside baggage and modifying it into DLMX 5659, the "Gordon N. Zimmerman". This is the souvenir car used behind Southern Pacific 4449, and doubles as a tool car on excursions run in association with Amtrak because it is compatible with current Amtrak equipment.

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1791726

The real car has three axle trucks while the Con-Cor baggage has two axle trucks. If I were to purchase the Micro-Trains three axle replacement trucks, normally used for older heavyweight cars, could they be easily placed on a car like this, our would it require some modifications? Thanks.

Josh

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1240
    • Modutrak
Re: Con-Cor Smoothside Cars and Micro-Trains Replacement Trucks
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 07:34:15 PM »
To specifically answer your question, yes, the MTL heavyweight 6-wheel trucks will fit under the car with minimal effort.  The GN car that is the closest match to the ConCor baggage had 6-wheel trucks also, so I put a set on one model in the past.

Now, to go off on a tangent, depending on how much work you want to put in...

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=576409

There's a better shot of the trucks.  They're more modern than the MTL trucks and have additional appliances outside of the frame.  I'm thinking a closer match would be the Des Plaines Hobbies 6-wheel SP trucks that are available separately, but made for the triple-unit diner.

The car also strikes me as being of Union Pacific lineage... and Laser-cut sides are available to use in conjunction with an AmLtd core kit to do the UP 85' baggage cars.  They're pretty easy to use for a baggage car!

NE4449

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 08:03:24 PM »
Thank you for that info. The car is of UP heritage, but I wasn't aware of anything that would be more of a match than the Con-Cor baggage.

Josh

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 08:04:31 PM »

NE4449

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 09:33:59 PM »
  The trucks found under the Bachmann Santa Fe Full Dome Car are a closer match,don't know if they could be adapted to fit the Con Cor Bolsters. Nate Goodman (Nato).

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 10:27:19 AM »