Author Topic: DCC Track Bus Wires  (Read 1437 times)

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
DCC Track Bus Wires
« on: January 03, 2010, 06:00:31 PM »
I am building an N Scale 11' x 13' layout in an apartment bedroom and it has to be built and installed in sections.  I want to have the option of moving the layout at some point in the future if necessary so I do not want any permanent track or wiring connections between sections.

I am running 14 AWG stranded wires around the layout for the track bus.  What would be the best way to affect connections between the layout sections for these wires which would be detachable yet not impair the performance of hte track bus (ie. excessive voltage drop)?  I do have some plastic "barrier strips" which can be cut up and allow wires in and out.  They might work but I would like to hear of other options.

I am wondering how NTrak and other modular systems do this in the DCC era - maybe they have already figured it out.

Any help appreciated,

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

cec209

• Crew
  • Respect: +53
Re: DCC Track Bus Wires
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 04:43:24 PM »
Tim,

Send me an email address and I'll send you the Ntrak recommended practice sheet regarding Anderson PowerPole connectors.

Charlie
Charlie

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 10:18:06 PM »

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 02:05:05 AM »
Thank you all for your replies.  I looked at the Anderson PowerPoles and they look very good but they would either have to hang down underneath the cross-members or I would have to drill larger clearance holes through them.

I tested a barrier strip inserted into a temporary bus run and measured the end voltage to ensure that there would be no drop.  These have the advantage of requiring only a small clearance hole for the wires to pass trough end cross-members, and to disconnect it is simply a manner of undoing a screw and pulling the wire.  Simple, inexpensive and neat in terms of appearance.

The barrier strips can be cut to length depending on how many bus runs are going across the joint between sections.

Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 07:41:20 PM »
I would just build it without connectors .. when the time comes to move, snip the wires, then solder back together when it's set up again .. saves money and is quicker ..