Author Topic: Reflective striping question  (Read 3325 times)

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
Reflective striping question
« on: December 29, 2009, 01:39:11 PM »
This may sound like a strange question , but what's the deal with the reflective striping on locomotives and rolling stock these last few years?  Meaning, why bother making the sides of the cars/trains more visible?  Also, I see some photos with white striping and some with yellow.  Are both colors used or just yellow at this point?

Thanks,
Ignorant about modern stuff Erik

Craig Martyn

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • BLMA Models
Re: Reflective striping question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 01:49:13 PM »
The "conspicuity striping" is because of an FRA mandate that all rolling stock must have this reflective striping before (I believe) 2015. 

You might also find information in this thread:

http://forum.atlasrr.com/FORUM/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56734

Craig Martyn
BLMA Models

www.BLMAmodels.com

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 01:50:12 PM »
They are known as "conspicuity stripes" and were mandated by the FRA starting in 2005, with 100% implementation required by 2015. Google for "FRA" and "conspicuity stripes" and you should be able to find more.

Yet something else - like ditch lights - that creates hard date demarcations when modeling.  >:(

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1243
    • Modutrak
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 02:27:35 PM »
Believe it or not, Erik, but people were driving into the sides of trains at unsignalled crossings at night. 

Sometimes they're called "idiot" stripes for a reason...

Erik W

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 03:08:29 PM »
Believe it or not, Erik, but people were driving into the sides of trains at unsignalled crossings at night.  

Ha!  That's what I was wondering.  Probably too much to ask people to turn their headlights on at night . . . and maybe consider that there might be a train on the track . . . since that's where trains are usually found.

Any thoughts on the white vs. yellow stripes?

Erik
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 03:14:29 PM by Erik W »

Dupesy

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 03:28:25 PM »
its my understanding its at the discretion of the owner which color to use, but only either white or yellow.  Didn't U.P. have to remove their red striping from the locos because of this?
dumb ways to die, so many dumb ways to die

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5415
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 03:35:18 PM »
Unfortunately this practice extends to historic equipment as well.  The BL-2 at Belington now looks like it has bunch of band-aids on it.

Aside from the cost of the property damage involved, wouldn't it be better to just let those idiots remove themselves from the gene pool?

Harumph.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Erik W

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 03:40:13 PM »
Once a car is thoroughly grimy and weathered, I wonder how reflective this stuff is.  Does the FRA require that the conspicuity striping be kept clean?

Erik

RDG_Rich

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 03:42:09 PM »
Aside from the cost of the property damage involved, wouldn't it be better to just let those idiots remove themselves from the gene pool?

Harumph.

I don't think it's the cost of property damage, but rather the cost of liability suits.

Double Harumph.

I didn't get a harumph out of that guy

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 04:15:47 PM »

Ummm and signaled ones too!

Quote from: Lee
Unfortunately this practice extends to historic equipment as well.  The BL-2 at Belington now looks like it has bunch of band-aids on it.

I think this is up to the owner. CSRR and several other historical RR's with interchange in NH and MA are not getting them applied.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

lashedup

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
    • Model 160
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 04:20:24 PM »

Which begs the question if they were that f---ed up that they can't see a train, would they remember to turn their headlamps on anyway?

Darwin at work...

ljudice

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 04:32:15 PM »
Railroads were involved for YEARS in the testing that led to this ruling, and you can well believe the major railroads at least were completely behind it - and driving it.

Don't forget this is an added failsafe for the railroads in the event of a crossing signal failure.

If you think those don't happen, you don't listen to railroad radio comms enough!

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 04:34:42 PM »
The only problem with these fools self elimination is they usually take some non deserving souls with them. :(
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 05:08:04 PM »
Railroads were involved for YEARS in the testing that led to this ruling, and you can well believe the major railroads at least were completely behind it - and driving it.

Here's the ruling itself...

http://www.fra.dot.gov/us/content/1528

Here's a quote from it...

"Other members of the railroad industry, including AAR, NAFCA, and RSI, expressed their opposition to a Federal
requirement to reflectorize freight rolling stock citing cost concerns and concerns similar to those expressed by
CP and TTX regarding the practicalities of implementing such a program."

Here's the Volpe survey/evaluation...

http://www.fra.dot.gov/downloads/Research/pm9822.pdf

Note the freight cars used (seriously... you'll get a laugh out of it)... and the lack of any major railroad participation. 

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 06:29:13 PM »
Actually
I recall a rural unsignalled Hamblen County, TN crossing only too well.  Riding with a friend he noticed and commented on a flashing porch light up the road.  Seemed strange since it was summertime and flashy holiday lights would not be on, even though they never need to be taken down.  Glad he slowed down as the flash was created by a 50+MPH passing NS coal train on a very dark moonless night...
Support fine modeling