Author Topic: Reflective striping question  (Read 3308 times)

UP1996

Re: Reflective striping question
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 06:58:47 PM »
The government trying to save us from ourselves again. Meh.

I bought a few feet of the 3M diamond grade conspicuity tape for my motoscoot top box a couple of years ago. The stuff reflects an amazing amount of light but, it's very expensive. Very expensive.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 11:10:02 PM »
  For Years Railroads used "Scotchlite" reflective striping on locomotives, passenger cars and some freight cars. I remember as a kid in the 1950's when UP switched to reflective striping and they ran some PR photos showing how automobile headlights reflected off passenger car sides at grade crossings. I guess the Conspicuity (spell check?) would be even better,but Union Pacific Locomotives will never look the same to me with a lower yellow stripe at frame level and what about passenger cars. I always thought the reflective white delineator dots and dashed lines on Great Northern Freight cars and Cabooses were a class act. Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.

inkaneer

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 04:54:13 PM »
Around here they are putting reflective stripping on stop sign posts.  First they made the stop sign bigger so people could see it then they painted them red with white reflective lettering.  I guess peoplke still can't see them so they are adding the reflective material to the posts that support the signs.  Heck, some of them even have a flashing light on them. 

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 06:21:53 PM »
Don't forget the rearview red light in the middle of vehicles.  D.C. was one of the test beds for this one.  Just one more thing to add to costs.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 06:23:54 PM »
Idiocracy at work!

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 06:52:07 PM »
Idiocracy at work!

Nope, we call that good government!  NOT!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

inkaneer

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 11:08:02 AM »
Here is one for you and you may not even notice it.  You know those big green signs on the Interstates?  Well someone decided that the font on those signs was not clear enough so they came up with a new font called 'clearview' and it is being applied to new signs.  Here is the thing about it.  The average or above or below average person can't tell the difference in the font unless the signs with the new and the old font were placed side by side.  Here is how to tell them apart.  The new font has thinner letters and the onenings in some letters like "a', "b', "d", "e", "o", "p", etc. are larger.  Eventually the entire Interstate system will receive the new signs.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 03:18:27 PM by inkaneer »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2010, 09:08:04 AM »
The trick of good typography is that you don't realize it's being used...

But giving someone an additional 83+ feet of "is this my exit?" is well worth it.
http://clearviewhwy.com/ResearchAndDesign/legibilityStudies.php