Author Topic: Acrylic Clear Rod  (Read 1103 times)

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
Acrylic Clear Rod
« on: January 01, 2014, 07:34:32 PM »
I have a train buddy who is looking for a source of 3/32 inch Clear acrylic rod.  Plastruct used to have it but he went to their website and they only have the neon tinted ones.  This is for backup lights so needs to be clear.

Any ideas?
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
Re: Acrylic Clear Rod
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 07:59:37 PM »
Interesting. With Plastruct no longer supplying clear, we're sort of hosed. In a quick scan of suppliers, Tap Plastics has 1/16" and 1/8". I use Tap a lot, maybe a bit expensive but they always have what I need.

In searching I found a site with fiber optics in metric sizes, http://thefiberopticstore.com/. Site is a little retro but they seem to stock a variety. 3/32" would be 2.4mm, and unfortunately they show only 2.0 and 3.0mm.

If it were me I'd take the closest size up, chuck it in a drill and turn it down. Not the best thing to do in terms of light transmission, but if the distance is short it might get the needed result.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Acrylic Clear Rod
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 09:23:35 PM »
Even though it is not shown, I would still try to contact plastuct (on the phone or email) and ask if they still carry it (or have some old stock left).  It is worth a try.
. . . 42 . . .