Author Topic: Scratch Built Rolling Stock  (Read 21183 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +971
Re: Scratch Built Rolling Stock
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2009, 11:22:33 PM »
Don't forget to model all the birds! 

Some are HO scale birds !

Guilford Guy

• Crew
  • hates trains
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2009, 11:24:03 PM »
I like the old green WM scheme better. The last thing modern trains need is more grey.
By WM do you mean Waste Management or Western Maryland? Same thing I suppose. I'm going to go hide under my covers now for fear of being beaten by Lee and several other contributors.
if you can't conduct yourself, conduct freight

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +232
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2009, 11:27:01 PM »
Ok .. now that I have showed my disasters .. lets see yours

Here's one of mine from a long time ago (this was the last model I completed before the modeling took a complete backseat to other priorities)

IN the late 80s I bashed this from a Kato "GP38" using a Bachmann GP40 long hood. I was disgusted with the color (its way too light) and then later when digital cameras made it easy to get close ups I decided this would be the last rattle can paint job on a loco for me. I ended up selling this loco quite some years ago.

I have a Bachmann WV caboose that I bashed into an N&W C31 earlier in the 80s - will post a picture of it alongside the Atlas model sometime over the holiday (it sux next to the Atlas model!).

Mark
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 08:34:57 AM by NandW »

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +65
    • Conrail's Portland Line
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2009, 11:34:41 PM »
Bryan needs to stop posting cars....now all I do is go down to my layout and cut myself ::) :P
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +653
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2009, 12:55:33 AM »
Bryan who?  Cutter... ;D
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1306
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »
This looks pretty cool!  8) Might inspire me to scratch one of these:

You don't have to scratchbuild that one.  Salvage all but the sides and ends of a Red Caboose Ortner hopper and go from there.  If you etch the sides, or use thin styrene, you can credibly put the vertical creases in the panels by scoring the back face.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 03:59:02 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +232
« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2009, 04:02:38 PM »

You don't have to scratchbuild that one.  Salvage all but the sides and ends of a Red Caboose Ortner hopper and go from there.  If you etch the sides, or use thin styrene, you can credibly put the vertical creases in the panels by scoring the back face.

Hmmm interesting ...

That might work. Sides are way way too low, but the # of bays is good. ;D

Mark

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2009, 04:07:35 PM »
Ribs are wrong also.  That's why I said the sides and ends have to go.  But the rest of the car components are perfect for such a kitbash.

I know this because I looked into making the C&O six-bay version years ago, when the model was still a Precision Masters item.  That car is only slightly more difficult due to splicing together two cars to get the six bays.  But the sides and ends would have to be scratchbult on that car as well, which would easily hide any seams between the spliced bays.

The model sits too high also, so the bolsters would have to be adjusted.  But since you would be building new ends, the new coupler pad required is easily included - as opposed to modifying the existing model.

The N&W car definitely is doable in a reasonable amount of time.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 04:10:25 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +971
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2009, 04:22:13 PM »
Slope should end on the outside edge of car at the fifth ladder rung , so the SP is a bit too high there . But with 2 bodies and some scrap I think a reasonable good enough could be done if the cuts are true and square .
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 04:24:49 PM by up1950s »

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +1175
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2009, 09:43:25 PM »
I recently scratchbuilt one of the BCR's tie cars from Evergreen styrene.  It sits on a kitbashed Micro-Trains underframe but the body is all scratchbuilt.  Here is a photo of the prototype:

and the model, built and ready for paint:

This was also my first opportunity to try out the new Archer rivet decals.

Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2009, 11:06:31 PM »
Slope should end on the outside edge of car at the fifth ladder rung , so the SP is a bit too high there . But with 2 bodies and some scrap I think a reasonable good enough could be done if the cuts are true and square .

You can still use the Red Caboose model as a start if you scratchbuild the slopes.  The hardest component on this car is the bay detail, and that already exists on the plastic model.  The rest of the car can be constructed from Evergreen styrene, and M&S square rod, T-bar and wire.  The orientation of the ladder rungs on the model is different than that on the N&W H-14, so the existing slope of the model may not be inaccurate to that prototype.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

jsoflo

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2009, 07:42:25 AM »
Here is a foobie (the AP cars have shorter side sills than this one I made) FEC 53' AP Gunderson Wellcar I made by chopping an articulated end off of a Kato Maxi IV and adding an unarticulated end from another Maxi IV end unit. Also added GMM hitches and a floor cut from a Con Cor 48' AP wellcar (the 53's have the center area of the floor like the 48 and the ends of the floor like the 53' so it was a good match), then added custom made decals.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +172
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2009, 12:19:27 PM »
Its great to see all the passenger cars that are represented!!!  All are some awesome work!!!