Author Topic: Weekend Update 9/27/09  (Read 11147 times)

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +576
    • My train pics
Re: Weekend Update 9/27/09
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2009, 10:25:36 AM »
I put 33" FVM wheels on about 20 RC bi-level autoracks... 60 or so to go.

Also put 36" on an Atlas 60 autoparts boxcar and 36" on a Bluford 86' car. I find the 36" FVM's look too big on the boxcars, but is that because they should be 33" or because the cars need lowering?

Went to the LHS and bought the new Keith Hansen book on the Northern Alberta Railway. Looks good but haven't had a chance to dig into it. Got a book on the C&O, too.

Pud, good thing the little one is checking out SOO 50 in the winter... those Havelock vans are home to some rather large spiders  :P  Nice model, of it BTW!

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2009, 10:25:56 AM »
i talked about my layout while drinking beers with other modelers at an Oktoberfest in New Jersey.  and i was invited to join a group heading to Rick Spano's layout.  does that count for anything around here?  i didn't think so.

this weekend should see some major activity on the layout.  maybe.  8)
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1524
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2009, 10:31:26 AM »
i talked about my layout while drinking beers with other modelers at an Oktoberfest in New Jersey.  and i was invited to join a group heading to Rick Spano's layout.  does that count for anything around here?  i didn't think so.

this weekend should see some major activity on the layout.  maybe.  8)

Steve,
Sure it counts.  Any good pictures?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

asciibaron

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2009, 10:33:46 AM »
Sure it counts.  Any good pictures?

pictures of people drinking beer?  both hands were full, no way to hold the camera :)  

several people were impressed with the fact i picked a prototype.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2009, 11:02:01 AM »
...i was invited to join a group heading to Rick Spano's layout...

Is that this Friday? I may see you then; I'm planning on being there.

I'll bring a camera so I can take embarrassing pics.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2009, 11:22:18 AM »
I put 33" FVM wheels on about 20 RC bi-level autoracks... 60 or so to go.

Also put 36" on an Atlas 60 autoparts boxcar and 36" on a Bluford 86' car. I find the 36" FVM's look too big on the boxcars, but is that because they should be 33" or because the cars need lowering?

Went to the LHS and bought the new Keith Hansen book on the Northern Alberta Railway. Looks good but haven't had a chance to dig into it. Got a book on the C&O, too.

Pud, good thing the little one is checking out SOO 50 in the winter... those Havelock vans are home to some rather large spiders  :P  Nice model, of it BTW!

Tell me about it...............

Bwhahahahahaha
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2009, 11:45:21 AM »
Working on my camp area module here is a pic of a new Trainworx NW boxcar the date is May 1978. I'm hoping to get my static grass weeds done soon and get the 2 structures the go on this module done (an abandoned one lane bridge and an old B&O shed abandoned also! both are built from measurments of actual prototypes. hope to post pics soon.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 11:47:10 AM by unittrain »

asciibaron

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2009, 11:55:21 AM »
Is that this Friday? I may see you then; I'm planning on being there.

I'll bring a camera so I can take embarrassing pics.

i won't be there.  i would like to get up there, but it's just not gonna happen.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2009, 12:30:43 PM »
I'm back, baby!  That is, I can't take not having a layout anymore.  Because of space limitations that seriously impact building a reasonable sized layout, I cobbled this mini-layout together in an hour or two that I had free yesterday morning.  It's only 2' x 3' and will violate every model railroading rule for layout construction that I've always strived to adhere to, but I'm just going to have fun with this one.  Rules be damned.  This will be a stress-free layout.  If it's not perfect, so what?  

By the way, I plan to construct it by the seat-of-the-pants, i.e., minimal planning, to see what comes out by building it small and on the cheap.  The best part is that it cost me absolutely zero dollars to get this far in the project.  I had the chunk of 2" foam, plenty of cork roadbed, and just enough track (two left hand turnouts, one wye turnout, and a few pieces of flextrack) left over from the construction of the former Virginia Central door layout to build this layout to this stage!  I haven't really decided how the sidings will be located.  There will be three sidings (only two are shown in the photo above), based on the turnouts that I scavenged from the junk drawer.

My plan is to just use this to be able to run something now and then, but also to enjoy the construction of a layout again.  The beauty of this size layout is that I shouldn't get too bogged down by certain aspects of layout construction, e.g., ballasting, that I don't enjoy.  Recent photos submitted by David K. Smith, envirodude, and many others have made me want to work much harder on my scenery abilities.  Ooh, I just remembered that I have a Super Trees starter kit somewhere around the house, so, again, that helps mitigate the expense of the construction of this tiny layout.  So far, that's all sunk costs, so it's requiring very little out of pocket to get this layout up and running.  I also already have the Digitrax DCC system and decoders on board most, if not all, of my fleet, although I recognize this is a one-train operation.

Next step is to buy some masking tape.  This may be crazy, but I'm going to lay down a couple layers of tape to try to superelevate the curves.  If it doesn't work, I'll just pull out the tape before ballasting.  I'll keep y'all posted.

Until next time,
Dave Foxx  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 02:44:36 PM by davefoxx »

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2009, 12:58:19 PM »
Nice!

Looks like a perfect home for a 44tonner

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2009, 01:43:14 PM »
Nice!

Looks like a perfect home for a 44tonner

Great idea! If Bachmann had introduced the 44-tonner in C&O paint (C&O used one in Norfolk, Virginia in its railbarge operation), I would have already bought one.  However, perhaps this is the opportunity to buy that one completely off-base locomotive (model and scheme) that matches nothing in my collection, since this layout only needs (and can really only fit) one locomotive.  I guess I would need a caboose, too, though. 

Fun, fun, fun!

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2009, 01:56:15 PM »
Definitely.

Don't forget, there's always the red and yellow ones that would be beautiful shortline locos.

Ooh, I bet a Shay would look real pretty there too.

asciibaron

• Crew
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2009, 02:05:06 PM »
Dave - get this:

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2009, 02:10:13 PM »
Definitely.

Don't forget, there's always the red and yellow ones that would be beautiful shortline locos.

Ooh, I bet a Shay would look real pretty there too.

Interesting thoughts, Ed.  If Atlas came out with a three-truck Shay, I probably couldn't resist.  ;)

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2009, 02:20:13 PM »
Dave - get this:

Funny!  It's known that my former door layout was converted from a C&O layout to a Rock Island layout when I gave it to Brian Carhart a few months ago.  Now you want ME to model the Rock, too!  Ha ha!  Is bankruptcy blue the Dark Side?  Or is it the Borg, and I'm being assimilated?

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!