Author Topic: AC&Y - Litchfield to Spencer OH  (Read 51594 times)

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1232
AC&Y - Litchfield to Spencer OH
« on: August 30, 2009, 09:48:20 PM »
Finally enough progress to post something.  Here's the trackplan for the new space

I know what I want to do west of Spencer but must let it roll around upstairs for awhile and get a feel for the space in that area.  Kind of tricky to build.

As you can see in the drawing, the long axis of the layout is not perpendicular to the wall.  Here's the long view with Litchfield in the distance.  One of the 4' sections is standing on end.

Around the corner westbound to Spencer.

And what's left of the original 6x10 Spencer sections

To light this level I'll build at least the frame of the next level.  The next level up would be New London, OH and the AC&Y / Big Four crossing.  Here's a lighting proof of concept mock-up photo.

The test sections allowed me to make "kit" parts for the frame. 

So far I like the way they're going together.

Steve

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5348
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: AC&Y - Litchfield to Spencer OH
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 11:17:24 PM »
I like the way you're using the space in the room...That's going to be a neat rig.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5476
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 02:32:05 AM »
Is the "target" a return loop for roundy round?

I like the plan, plus you get a head start with the finished sections.

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 07:19:56 AM »
Yes, the target is the loop - for a helix to the other levels eventually but for the near term a roundy device.  And you've found the Black River.  A modest affair.  Very modelable with some interesting historical features still visible.  It will be the first scene visitors see upon entering the room.

I've not used Bing before.  I think I will in the future.  I have ground level photos which I'll post in time.  Took lots of detail photos of the Litchfield elevator during last trip north.  It should be fun to build.

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 11:46:35 AM »
Looking good! Can;t wait to see the AC&Y live in miniature!

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 10:04:11 PM »
Here is some of the inspiration for the Litchfield side of the layout.  Working east to west, the Litchfield Elevator.  Should be fun to build.

Litchfield had a depot almost identical to the one in Spencer.

Here's the original Black River bridge, built in 1890's.  Photo from the AC&Y Historical Society

It is tempting to install a bridge with more WOW but the link & pin version was gone by the 1920's.  Replaced with this to handle the heavier steamers.  Bob Lucas photo.  The cylindrical steel piers bracketing the concrete piers were the original bridge supports.  Just incorporated into the redesign.  Modeling a bit of history helps make up for the mundane nature of the current bridge.

The Spencer Mills Rd (Congress Rd) underpass and Coon Creek culverts were installed in the 40's / early 50's.  The bridge approach from the west was originally built on timber trestles.  The approach was filled in.  There are some great photos in an AC&YHS Newsletter of the culverts just before the fill was dumped.  This little bridge was built with a model railroader in mind, the way the road curves through the opening.

Next time some views of Spencer.

Steve

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 10:09:40 PM »
Very cool. I can't wait to see it Steve.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5476
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 10:57:43 PM »
Sounds like a plan.

Now what about those H20-44's ?

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 09:08:10 PM »
Given the glacial pace at which I build I HOPE I get to see it Ed.

And those H20-44s - the backbone of the small AC&Y fleet.  I figured that with so few prototypes built there would be plastic models from at least three suppliers by now.   ;D  A guy brought one to an AC&YHS meet a few years back.  He used a Baldwin frame, the then new Atlas H15-44 long hood and a cab with a custom cast end.  It was convincing but not dead on.  I figure I have enough to do before I get to the point where I'll need some H20-44s that they might be produced by someone by then.  We'll see.

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 10:30:52 PM »
A few more photos, this time from the Spencer side.  Here's the prototype AC&Y depot.  Built in the 1880's.  Typical of many small town RR depots of the era.

I made the model version as a warm-up for the NKP model.  The reasons why I decided to do the model that will be front and center on the layout as the project to re-learn scratchbuilding techniques instead of doing the background model first escapes me.  Some things just can't be explained.  I faked the shingle siding that replaced the original board and batten siding with computer printed paper. 

The construction of the W&LE / NKP depot was covered in detail (mind numbing detail some have told me) in N Scale mag a couple of years ago.  Here's an in-service photo from the N&W years.  Followed up with a pic of the model.

Next post I'll show some photos of the businesses in Spencer and add some interesting bits I learned from the folks at the local historical society.

justTRAINcRaZy

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 09:49:31 AM »
Steve, that Spencer Depot is really nice !!

KB

asarge

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 10:00:46 AM »
Excellent work Steve! Hope to be in Spencer in a few weeks, maybe I'll get to see a train this time.

I doubt we'll ever see a mass-produced H20 unfortunately, but the H15/16's will be a good stand in. They had as many of those as the H20's and they did run them on road freights also.

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 08:01:19 PM »
Excellent work Steve! Hope to be in Spencer in a few weeks, maybe I'll get to see a train this time.

I doubt we'll ever see a mass-produced H20 unfortunately, but the H15/16's will be a good stand in. They had as many of those as the H20's and they did run them on road freights also.

Are you going to the meeting on the 17th?

As for the H20, I'm hoping one of these days Chris will shake his head and an etched wrapper for the H20 will pop out.   ;D

asarge

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 11:05:41 PM »
No, I'll miss any meetings by a few days and a wife and Mother-in-Law. At least they let me watch trains once in awhile.