Author Topic: TCS K1D4NC  (Read 2191 times)

DocGeoff

• Crew
  • DocGeoff in CC, TX
  • Respect: 0
TCS K1D4NC
« on: July 15, 2009, 10:35:13 PM »
I installed the new TCS K1D4NC in 2 Kato SD70ACE's. They run fine with the DC board in them but I cannot get either one to program with the TCS's in them???
I followed the instructions with the exception of adding solder to the front pads. I don't solder. A man should know his limitations.
I cannot figure anything else as to why they don't program. I use a Digitrax Super Chief and have had no problems except with an occasional Digitrax decoder which seems to have a one year life at the most.
I am ready to return the TCS's, but would like to use them if possible.
I really don't feel adapt at adding a tiny amount of solder. And the front seems tight and I can't see a gap where contact isn't made there???
Any expert suggestions? I have thought of returning the decoders but I really would love to run these two (DRGW & SP haritage units). I already have a static display with a POS Athearn challenger that I payed good money for to have a Tsunami installed in that has never run since.
By the way, if anyone is interested in knowing where to never to do business send me a private email and I'll relate the story of the seven month installation, return and never run ripoff.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Doc,
Imagineer, Owner & Operator
of the nearly famous "No Name RR

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5443
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: TCS K1D4NC
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 08:50:20 AM »
I love the TCS decoders... once I get them to work.  I've put in maybe a half dozen to a dozen of their CN light board replacement chips, but I've had to send half of them back for replacement because they won't read back, or they'll look like they're reading back then when you apply power... "poof!"  On closer inspection I think they have some serious QC issues, especially with circuits getting bridged with big solder blobs.
I'm in the process of putting in three, and I have to send two of them back...  Not a very good performance ratio.  It could be that the chip you're using is similarly afflicted.

The good news is they have a pretty liberal warranty, if you send it back with a complaint, you'll get one back that's fully tested and ready to go.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 12:55:56 PM »
DocGeoff,
I've had problems with decoders not accepting CV's such as an address. What I'd do is perform a factory reset on the decoder. Then test them in their factory configuration. That pretty much narrows it down (in most cases) to a CV29 issue. If it's set to only accept a 2 digit address, you can program a 4 digit however the decoder wont run on that address (until you change CV29).

Also I'd suggest getting a 12W soldering iron. The 4 AA battery type from Weller works well. With the exception of the Digitrax IM F-7 decoders I've had no issue adding solder to pads.

The S.

DocGeoff

• Crew
  • DocGeoff in CC, TX
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 10:19:29 PM »
I got a great way to fix the decoders on another board. I tried it and it worked great. Here is the description of the "fix." Scott is the knight in shinning nickle silver rail that provided the fix.

Scott,
You are my hero! I read your suggestion when I got home. Went immediately to the workbench, took the shells off the two units, got toothpicks (the kind with the fancy round end for cocktail snacks, shoved the rounded end into the opening in front under the decoder, cut them off even so the light tube would let the shell seat properly, and took the first unit and programmed it. Yeah baby!!! On to the second, success! Programmed the SP unit, ran both for a while to check them, reinstalled the shells, MUed them, all thanks to you.
By the way, with the TCS decoders out of the box, no resetting CV's they run like butter, nice slow speed, beautiful start, whisper quite, more like an Atlas speed motor. I have to believe its the TCS's?
Anyway Scott, thank you again. I didn't have to solder, which means I didn't mess anything up or ruin the decoders.
Doc,
Imagineer, Owner & Operator
of the nearly famous "No Name RR

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5443
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 07:43:28 PM »
But now America wants to know... what did you do with the paper umbrellas?

Mr. Boston
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

stuntman

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 10:21:04 PM »
But now America wants to know... what did you do with the paper umbrellas?

Mr. Boston

I ate them.   ;D

stuntman

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 01:55:03 AM »
  I did find something that works better than the ends of toothpicks.    Try using a small chunk of foam stuffed under the front of the board. (the stuff that Atlas puts behind their hand rails)  It really takes care of any decoder board to frame contact problems on Kato SD70ACe's and SD40-2 mid's.  No soldering iron required.

diburning

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 04:33:38 PM »
Or foam tape would work too...