Author Topic: Numberboards light seperate from Headlight in DCC?  (Read 3537 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5445
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Numberboards light seperate from Headlight in DCC?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 09:23:41 AM »
It helps to have the headlight in the nose.  This would be harder to accomplish with a cab-mounted headlight.

I'm working on a brass SD right now, maybe the same model you've got there...  I've got to figure out how to mount the nose LED because there's no frame up there, just the pivoting gear tower of the front truck...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 09:42:07 AM »
Aww, no gyralight or lightpulse? :'(

Looks good, although I think David might want his boxcar back. ;D

Nope, no gyralight, it's no longer an SP. The loco is a local here in Ohio. It is a CEFX lease running on Indiana and Ohio.

It helps to have the headlight in the nose.  This would be harder to accomplish with a cab-mounted headlight.

I'm working on a brass SD right now, maybe the same model you've got there...  I've got to figure out how to mount the nose LED because there's no frame up there, just the pivoting gear tower of the front truck...

Lee

For a cab mount it would be easiest to do 3 LED's in the cab, one headlight, one each for the marker light. As far as mounting them, I would probably mount them in the cab then either run wires and a plug so the shell is removable. Another option would be a contact pad like I used in this loco. You could do it with a 4 wire contact similar to the way my ditchlights are set up.

BTW - that is a Bachmann SD45, not brass. It does have brass handrails and detail parts on it.
Tony Hines

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 09:48:11 AM »

BTW - that is a Bachmann SD45, not brass. It does have brass handrails and detail parts on it.

Heavily re-worked - nice job from a marginal model!

Mark

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5445
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 03:49:37 PM »
I like the plug option.  I'm going to end up with 3 LED's at the minimum.  I think I have an 8-pin rig I can fudge in there.  The good news with the brass is there's a lot of "air" under the hood, as long as I stay clear of the drive shaft.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

diburning

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 04:23:33 PM »
So, would the numberboards stay on if the headlight is off?  If so, then wouldn't it be easier to wire the lights directly ro track power?

For cab numberboards next to the headlight, you could take the bezel out, seperate (cut) the numberboards from the headlight, isolate the sections with something dark (like electrical tape) and reinstall with 2 extra bulbs/LEDs for the number boards.