Author Topic: Decoder Recommendation?  (Read 1272 times)

traindude109

Decoder Recommendation?
« on: August 27, 2009, 10:25:33 PM »
Hi all this is my first post here.

I would lke to start off by asking a simple question. What kind of decoder would you recommend for an Athearn RTR SD45? I have a meeting coming up and would like to have the locomotive ready to operate on DCC. Thanks for any help!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5382
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Decoder Recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 09:55:17 AM »
What vintage is the engine?  Athearn's been making SD-45's for about 35 years, with several versions along the way. 
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Packer

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 06:53:46 AM »
If it's the newer RTR one, anything with the JST or 8-pin plug will work. You could also go with a Atlas light board replacement style decoder.
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.

diburning

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 04:27:06 PM »
Well, do you want sound?  how about lighting functions?  If you want sound, you can get a board replacement decoder, or a tsunami that would plug into the 8-pin socket.  If you want more than 2 lighting functions, you could get a board replacement decoder, or one that plugs in to the 8-pin socket, but has solder pads for additional functions.

If you don't need either of those, a simple decoder will work, like the DH123P which has the 8-pin plug which can go into the 8-pin socket, or you can take the harness off and plug the decoder itself into the 9-pin socket where the dummy plug is.