Author Topic: Atlas SDB  (Read 1815 times)

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Atlas SDB
« on: August 25, 2009, 04:08:47 PM »
Really stupid question

For the Altas signal system...whats the difference between the HO SDB (Signal Driver Board) and the N SDB?
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
Re: Atlas SDB
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 08:34:18 PM »
Who cares, they both suck.   ;D

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 09:31:35 PM »

Well when you get all the other stuff from the Custom Signals site they aint too bad. There toolio
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 10:28:17 PM »

Well when you get all the other stuff from the Custom Signals site they aint too bad. There toolio

Wait, you mean someone else makes a bass ackwards common cathode system?

Hiroe

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 10:53:56 PM »
Want to buy some extra atlas driver boards? I always roll my own, so i've got a bunch of the atlas ones laying around. (they're O, so you can complete your trifecta!)

In answer to your question, i don't believe there's any real difference in function or programming. Designing different systems for each scale seems like something atlas wouldn't bother doing. If they can re-use the same electronics for multiple scales, that's a huge savings in tooling and production costs.
wubba lubba dub dub

Walkercolt

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 11:18:13 PM »
An educated guess. Each scale probably uses different current to the LED's. A good guess because "O" uses 5mm LED's that would be classified as "high-brightness", "HO" uses 3mm's (about half the current) and "N" uses surface mount LED's that may only draw micro-amps. Common cathode has some electronic advantages with stuff like "transient voltages" and saving the driver on the circuit board(sometimes) if an LED shorts-out. I'm not a big fan of the Atlas signaling system either....too much wiring for the job. My opinion, and just like a certain body orafice, everyone has one, but most of us don't want to hear it. 8)

Hiroe

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 04:46:54 PM »
An educated guess. Each scale probably uses different current to the LED's. A good guess because "O" uses 5mm LED's that would be classified as "high-brightness", "HO" uses 3mm's (about half the current) and "N" uses surface mount LED's that may only draw micro-amps.

That may be, but i'll still wager that it's the same signal board for all of them. Engineer the board to run the current draw of the O signals, then package it for HO and N. There's no harm to the circuitry if the N signal only uses a fraction of the power the O board can handle.

However, the best way to know for sure might be to just call atlas, and ask.

--Drew
wubba lubba dub dub