Author Topic: Weekend Update - 08/16/2009  (Read 11333 times)

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
Re: Weekend Update - 08/16/2009
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2009, 06:03:26 PM »
Mike, definitely modern (bring on those GEVO's!).  The only question in my mind is whether I'll stick to ~2009 or change with the times -- probably the latter.  Unlike Z, there are a lot of good trailers in N now -- the biggest gap in the modern fleet is anything UPS.  I wish they'd get over their trademark restrictions.

-gfh

As an UPS employee who is a part of management, I have to make up publications with the logo from time to time and, it is even more of a kick in the head, as we have to get permission and then get it approved and so forth.  There is so much red tape for us just to use the logo, I can imagine what it would be like for a company trying to get permissions to use it.

You are right about the UPS trailer thing, I am planning on having an UPS Hub based loosely on the one where I work at, and adding intermodal service to it.  I got the idea from the fact that every Thursday, what we call Callie Night (except holiday weeks), we get roughly 10 extra trailers at our hub from California transported by train from CA to NJ and then trucked over from NJ to NY.

If you search for "Brown" on that certain auction site you can find some trailers.  I have quite a fleet of "Brown" trailers and package cars from two different sellers on that certain auction site.  And the quality is pretty good.

Also if it helps any UPS also uses Xtra, CSX Intermodal, Consolidated Freightways and some other companies especially ones who have 53 footers.
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2009, 10:58:39 PM »
Interesting story One of One-Sixty.  Maybe you could convince them to sell UPS decals directly so they could control the trademark and and pocket the profits.   ::)  There is a pretty nice UPS-style pup trailer made in resin by Randy Brown and sold by Steven's Intermodal store.  I have one but I haven't finished it yet -- I'm trying to figure out the best way to put some hair over the wheel wells.  Good point about the XTRA trailers - the Atlas XTRA model carries UPSZ markings.

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2009, 03:16:13 AM »
Interesting story One of One-Sixty.  Maybe you could convince them to sell UPS decals directly so they could control the trademark and and pocket the profits.   ::)  There is a pretty nice UPS-style pup trailer made in resin by Randy Brown and sold by Steven's Intermodal store.  I have one but I haven't finished it yet -- I'm trying to figure out the best way to put some hair over the wheel wells.  Good point about the XTRA trailers - the Atlas XTRA model carries UPSZ markings.

What do you think of the casting Gary - I have been tempted to try a couple pf them.

The HO guys use fake eye-lashes for the hair...apparently the looks at the drug store at the counter is worth it. Not sure if they translate to N though.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2009, 07:48:27 AM »
There is a pretty nice UPS-style pup trailer made in resin by Randy Brown and sold by Steven's Intermodal store.  I have one but I haven't finished it yet -- I'm trying to figure out the best way to put some hair over the wheel wells.  Good point about the XTRA trailers - the Atlas XTRA model carries UPSZ markings.

Ahh, the infamous Drop Frame trucks, the bane of ever loader and unloader in the company except me, for some reason back when I was an hourly, I loved unloading these trucks.

Here are some of the trailers I have here and here.  The seller use to have some of the longer trailers, in stock, so that is something to look into.

I am in the process of turning a couple of the bigger trailers into what we call the "Air Trailers" which have roll up doors along both sides of the trailer to load load and unload the of air cans to transport to the different hubs and planes.

A little info on the numbering of trailers.  For the most part all trailer numbers are 6 numbers long, no counting the trailer lettering (see below), there are some longer ones usually 8 which are leased trailers, but for the most part it is 6.

• 26' Regular Pup Trailers -Start with a 6 or 3 with letters being proceeding the numbers being SC, N, NW
  • 26 1/2' - 28' Drop Frame Pup Trailers - Start with 2 or 3 with letters being proceeding the numbers being W, H, L
  • 40' Drop Frame Trailers - Start with 8 with letters being proceeding the numbers being Y, Z
  • 40' Regular Trailer - Start with 6, 7, 8 or 9 with letters being proceeding the numbers being F, L, Q, R, X, Z, ZZ
  • 45' Regular Trailer - Start with 8 or 9 with letters being proceeding the numbers being L, XXX, Z, ZZZ, or MAR
  • 48' - 53' Regular and Air Trailers - Starts with 8 or 9 with letters being proceeding the numbers being XXX, ZZ, XTRZ, TIPZ (Usually leased TIP Intermodal Trailers), BMDZ

Funny thing, I have been kicking myself cause I always forget to bring my camera for pics of the TIP, CSX and other non UPS trailers that we have in the pool, and today when I bring the camera so I can take pics of various local building I see two blue CSX trailers, and drive by without snapping a pic.  :-[
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2009, 03:20:53 PM »
Interesting story One of One-Sixty.  Maybe you could convince them to sell UPS decals directly so they could control the trademark and and pocket the profits.   ::)  There is a pretty nice UPS-style pup trailer made in resin by Randy Brown and sold by Steven's Intermodal store.  I have one but I haven't finished it yet -- I'm trying to figure out the best way to put some hair over the wheel wells.  Good point about the XTRA trailers - the Atlas XTRA model carries UPSZ markings.

Yes, the stick-on eyelashes technique does work in N scale too! ;D

This trailer was made from one of the Arrowhead/Randy Brown castings, although I changed out the bogies. The anti-spray skirts were made from some seriously trimmed-down stick-on eyelashes....

Russ
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 03:24:33 PM by tehachapifan »

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2009, 03:46:47 PM »
Sweet Russ! I have one of the Arrowhead trailers here too, but haven't wanted to do anything with it until I sourced some decals.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2009, 01:10:14 AM »
That's awesome Russ!  Did you letter it for UPS or leave it generic?

James, Randy Brown and Arrowhead are one and the same, though I think the Arrowhead brand name is no longer used.

-gfh

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2009, 12:25:34 PM »
That's awesome Russ!  Did you letter it for UPS or leave it generic?....

gfh

I cannot recall. ;)

I made some decals for myself that were made from actual trailer photos. One decal, for example, is the same dimensions as the entire side if the trailer. The corrugated surface of the rib stiffeners you see is from the trailer photo, as are the conspicuity stripes, etc. Whether or not the trailer was marked with any particular shipper's markings escapes me right now. :P

Russ
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 12:39:28 PM by tehachapifan »