Author Topic: Walthers Huletts...anyone know if they plan them in N?  (Read 2886 times)

2-8-8-0

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Walthers Huletts...anyone know if they plan them in N?
« on: July 25, 2009, 06:37:53 PM »
Hey folks. I was browsing Walther's site and see that they have re-released all of their steel industry kits and added a host of new ones (nicely reducing the price of the old rolling mill and BOF kits, which Im sure i can find uses for) but the new releases seem to currently be offered only in HO. Anyone know if they will follow their usual path and also offer them in N? The new rolling mill and furnace are different enough to make several facilities possible, but more importantly, they have an incredible looking Hulett unloader, which is sadly, also only listed for HO just now.

On a similar note, anyone know of a company that makes N scale ore boats? Most of the ones i have seen are way way too small to suggest their real life counterparts.

...now if someone would release a 2-8-8-4 in N already...
Just say no to dummy couplers.

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
Re: Walthers Huletts...anyone know if they plan them in N?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 07:34:12 PM »
One could only hope that it was Walthers "Usual Path" to release their structures in N.  Not even half their structure line makes it to N scale (maybe not even a quarter), and it's usually the smaller (ironically), more generic, less "cool" of the structures.

By their own admission, they only release the ones that are highly successful in HO in N.   And given that something like a gigantic Hullett Loader that's bigger than some people's layouts is highly unlikely to be a big seller, it's highly unlikely we'll see it in N either for that matter.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 09:54:37 PM by Hyperion »
-Mark

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 07:37:27 PM »
Closest boats might be these:

http://www.bearcomarine.com/resin.htm

Not cheap.

2-8-8-0

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 09:11:54 PM »
Closest boats might be these:

http://www.bearcomarine.com/resin.htm

Not cheap.

Yeah those were the boats I was looking at, and unless another option appears, probably will be what I use (with center sections added to make them look less like caricatures)

I hope some of this stuff is released in N; seems a natural thing for N scale imo (the steel industry, Lake docks, etc) as it is BIG.
Just say no to dummy couplers.

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 11:36:49 PM »
I don't know if Sylvan Scale Models is still doing these boats. It seems like the same photo on the Bearco Marine page...but cheaper.

http://www.nscalesupply.com/SYL/SYL-N-2050.htm

I'm not sure whether this is really an ore boat. On the other hand, it looks like the closest thing to an ore boat in N scale.

Best wishes, Dave
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 01:16:38 PM by Dave Schneider »
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

womblenz

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 03:39:45 AM »
My plan is for 2 of the bearcomarine boats not sure about the extra middle section

These should look great next my ore dock

As for the Hulett's I really like them but I doubt we will see them in N I don't plan on needing one for my layout but in they released them in N I would buy one anyway.

Cheers Warren

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 09:47:58 AM »
Considering how long it took them to release essential support buildings for their N scale blast furnace like the coke ovens, I wouldn't plan on seeing the Huletts in N anytime soon. And with the way Walthers was blowing out steel structures to their dealers earlier this year, I don't think their steel series has done well in N scale. I don't think that is because N scalers aren't interested in that industry, I think that could be because anyone who wanted to make a truly impressive steel mill would have jumped at their HO structures and scaled them down. Or they could have also done that out of necessity, since it took Walthers so long to release some of the other structures?  ???
Sean

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5399
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 10:41:01 PM »
Exactly.  Walthers has a habit of releasing three of the hubcaps, then canceling car because no on bought the 4th (that didn't get produced).  Not exactly forward thinking...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 02:04:35 AM »
  There were expensive brass models of D.M.& I.R. 2-8-8-4 Yellowstone locomotive released about two or three years ago sold along with a nice Iron Range Wood Caboose. I passed on these as this road in steam is too specialized a neich  market even for me a closet Fanzee of this road who decorated a first run Atlas SD-9 in the Maroon Arrowhead paint job. As for Walthers ,yes they seem to shoot themselves in the foot time and again realeasing HO -ho items that never make it to N. They did several nice little ready to run shops  that would look good in a Western Town, only they never have done them in N. We can only hope that Hulletts show up in N ,but don't hold your breath.                                                Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah. "What road am I not a closet Fanzee of?"

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 06:56:37 AM »
Well I wonder about the scale of these Huletts. Are they closer to N than HO in size?
You know their steel plant structures are closer to N than HO and wonder if this could
also be true with the Huletts. I know they are massive in real life and thought they
may have been a bit undersized for HO when I saw them at Hartford.

Jon

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 08:45:46 AM »
The Walthers ore Boat is being done by Sylvan Scale models and they hava a cheaper N scale Ore Boat

http://www.isp.on.ca/sylvan/n-scaleproducts.htm

At this time Walthers has no plans to do the N scale upgraded Steel Industry. To me it looks like walthers Compressed the Huletts in HO scale as it looks like undersized compared to the hoppers.

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 11:16:04 AM »
Well I wonder about the scale of these Huletts. Are they closer to N than HO in size?
You know their steel plant structures are closer to N than HO and wonder if this could
also be true with the Huletts. I know they are massive in real life and thought they
may have been a bit undersized for HO when I saw them at Hartford.

Jon

I haven't measured them myself, but the guys on the Yahoo Steel Group say they are right on for HO.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 02:29:18 PM »
Oh well, it was a thought.

Jon

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 09:30:16 AM »
No less pricey, but Sylvan has a lake freighter also - http://www.isp.ca/sylvan/n-scaleproducts.htm
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.