Author Topic: TCS CNGP...in GP's and SD's...  (Read 1193 times)

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
TCS CNGP...in GP's and SD's...
« on: July 22, 2009, 12:48:30 PM »
When installing the TCS CN-GP decoders is there enough room above the chassis, between the shell, to run the wires to the second half of the decoder in say the older Atlas GP-9/35/40 and Kato SD-40? I have quite a few installs coming up and would like to know if I'll need a new dremel bit...

The S.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: TCS CNGP...in GP's and SD's...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 05:54:20 PM »
There's a couple of nips and tucks to make, but the wires are plenty long enough.  I usually mill a "V" channel into the top of the frame halves to make sure everything clears, but there's only three wires, so it's not too bad.  They really are a time saver.

I'll be interested to know how these go for you.  I've had considerable trouble getting chips that aren't duds.  I'm doing three GP30's for a guy right now, cut all the frames exactly the same, set up the isolation exactly the same, installed the chips exactly the same.  I got one to work flawlessly, one wouldn't read back at all, and one read back, then fried when I applied track power.  On closer inspection, it looks like the soldering at the factory is pretty sloppy.  So into an envelope they went, and back to the mfr. for replacement along with a frosty letter.  This isn't the first time I've experienced this.  1 for 3 might be great in baseball, but for $30 decoders, they need to have someone other than the customer doing their QC work...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
Re: TCS CNGP...in GP's and SD's...
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 09:21:35 PM »
There's a couple of nips and tucks to make, but the wires are plenty long enough.  I usually mill a "V" channel into the top of the frame halves to make sure everything clears, but there's only three wires, so it's not too bad.  They really are a time saver.

I'll be interested to know how these go for you. 

Lee

I have already done two in the BL-2's channelled down the engineers side to avoid wires in the cab. Operations wise they came out better than those F@#KING Digitrash RDC decoders (I'm on my 5th one (and I can't send them back, I solder new WHITE LEDs). In fact outside of the Digitrax DN163A0, the TCS 1286's are my second favorite decoder (now I've probably jinxed myself).

I'm about to decoder the 4 GP-40's I have and the only high nose GP-7 applicable for '68-'73. I have two newer GP-40's which take the 163A0 and two of the older model GP-40's (with new bodies) that take the 1286. I just want to see how easy it is to put the 1286's in the older 40's without too much engineering. After that I'll be sending the SD-40's into the shops for "updated electronics".

I will also have to figure out what to do for the chopped 7's and 9's. Most likely I will remove the SMLED and use core wires to drop it down.

Then it's onto pool power, I'm not even ready to think about updating the pool power....