Author Topic: Conrail's Allegheny Crossing as NTRAK Modules  (Read 21597 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2123
    • Conrail 1285
Conrail's Allegheny Crossing as NTRAK Modules
« on: July 10, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
So I've been thinking about building an NTRAK version of MG Tower for a while (and plan on it when I have a basement to house it).

But on the way into the office this morning, I was thinking that if we got a bunch of us together, we could probably do most of the line from ALTO to Johnstown.

This type of undertaking is not without precedent. Our own AlkemScaleModels took part in a similar plan years ago to do the C&O New River Gorge area.

I think I know enough talented modelers who could come together and make this happen. Many of them hang out here.

What do you all think?

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Proactive advocate of truthiness
  • Respect: +138
    • Modutrak
Re: Conrail's Allegheny Crossing as NTRAK Modules
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 10:36:56 AM »
Find a group of like-minded modelers, pick a theme, and make it happen!  (One version of this kind of thing will make NSR next month too, how about that timing?)
Mike

www.modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure...

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 10:47:54 AM »
That's what I'm going for!

I figured it's really a perfect theme. Mostly 3 tracks, recognizable locations, great scenery, AND a place where those large trains and big power would look at home.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1327
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 10:51:57 AM »
Hmmm.  A little Conrail Strange on the side...  I guess I can keep a secret from Mrs. WM...

So while we're building modules, you'll be constructing a fleet of about 20 SD40-2's?

There will also be a the great philosophical question about the status of track 3... To Be or Not To Be.  The Keystoners will demand it, The Conrailers can work with or without it, the current era guys will have to either like it or lump it...  To be true N trak (blech) it would require just the three, or transitions at each end...  If it's to be a stand-alone, no big whoop, we do what we like.

Also, in my opinion, it would be stupid to do it without a substantial grade...

Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 11:26:58 AM »
Well, I'd say 3 tracks, since that's the "spec", but I wouldn't scream about 4. I think it'd boil down to who'd be involved.

No transitions would be needed even if it were 4 tracks, as long as they're all at the proper (ugly) spacing. But by keeping it all to spec, it'd mean that individual pieces can be used wherever. This way if I build one we can use it with BANTRAK, but if, say, Dave V did one, he could break up the western scenery at his local group and show them some REAL railroading...

And you know the beautiful part of NTRAK modules? If you want a grade, just adjust the leveling bolts.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1327
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 12:06:33 PM »
You'd need some pretty hefty leveling bolts to gain the elevation you need on the east front!  And wouldn't Horseshoe HAVE to have a grade to look right?

I'll build the module for Cassandra, complete with fat Lee and Jerry figures on the park bench with a grill and a cooler.  

Looking west to east...

A 4 to 6 footer should cover the cut, the bridge, and the stone arch culvert, I dare say...  Are we going to include proper curvature where practical, (like Bernie's efforts) or just keep them "stupid" for the masses?

Lee
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 12:08:54 PM by wm3798 »
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +406
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 12:32:41 PM »
Ed, you had better align yourself with a group that models at a pace more rapid than your own... ;D
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 12:35:12 PM »
Nice!

And lol @ Bryan... I'm hoping the peer pressure will make me get crap done!

So good, Lee's in for Cassandra (I was betting you'd do that one). I think the curvature would be cool, but since it's so slight through there, making it straight would make reuse easier.

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +24
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 12:39:33 PM »
So I've been thinking about building an NTRAK version of MG Tower for a while (and plan on it when I have a basement to house it).

But on the way into the office this morning, I was thinking that if we got a bunch of us together, we could probably do most of the line from ALTO to Johnstown.

This type of undertaking is not without precedent. Our own AlkemScaleModels took part in a similar plan years ago to do the C&O New River Gorge area.

I think I know enough talented modelers who could come together and make this happen. Many of them hang out here.

What do you all think?

Great idea. We (John Drye, Matt Schaefer, Brian Brendel and others) almost pulled this off at one point. If you want, I can try to see if I still have the track plan for that module set. It's on my home machine someplace.

I have been working with John Drye on developing a PRR 4T signal bridge that will work with the wider track spacing. The signal bridge I currently sell is made to prototype 13 ft track spacing and is too narrow for 4 tracks at 1.25 inch track spacing. I made the first prototype for John and it looks good. I will make them available for sale once I finish the drawings.  This version of the kit is laser cut from a new proprietary material. It glues up with regular white glue.

In case you don't know, John Drye is working on a home layout that covers Altoona to Cresson in a 15 by 21 ft basement with 18 ft of staging in an adjacent room. I believe he has MG tower modeled track for track.

I am nearly out of PRR  signals and will put in an order for a second run.  Thanks for your support.  Would you all be interested in having these as pre-assembled mast signals?  I don't think it's practical to do the signal bridge as a pre-assembled kit as there are too many signaling variations. Plus, the new laser cut kit only takes about 30 minutes to assemble any way. It's not hard.

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 12:45:58 PM »

What do you all think?

Great idea. We (John Drye, Matt Schaefer, Brian Brendel and others) almost pulled this off at one point. If you want, I can try to see if I still have the track plan for that module set. It's on my home machine someplace. I think Matt actually built the start of the Horseshoe curve modules before the project lost momentum.

I have been working with John Drye on developing a PRR 4T signal bridge that will work with the wider track spacing. The signal bridge I currently sell is made to prototype 13 ft track spacing and is too narrow for 4 tracks at 1.25 inch track spacing. I made the first prototype for John and it looks good. I will make them available for sale once I finish the drawings.  This version of the kit is laser cut from a new proprietary material. It glues up with regular white glue.

In case you don't know, John Drye is working on a home layout that covers Altoona to Cresson in a 15 by 21 ft basement with 18 ft of staging in an adjacent room. I believe he has MG tower modeled track for track.

I am nearly out of PRR  signals and will put in an order for a second run.  Thanks for your support.  Would you all be interested in having these as pre-assembled mast signals?  I don't think it's practical to do the signal bridge as a pre-assembled kit as there are too many signaling variations. Plus, the new laser cut kit only takes about 30 minutes to assemble any way. It's not hard.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 12:46:53 PM »
Nice! I'd love to meet John one of these days.

And yeah, the signals will be key. But, as you can see, you have plenty of time.

Think we could persuade you to join in on our endeavor? I know you don't have a great allegiance to any one road, and I know you'll be done with the USMRR at some point... :-)

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 12:47:08 PM »
Well, I'd say 3 tracks, since that's the "spec", but I wouldn't scream about 4. I think it'd boil down to who'd be involved.

No transitions would be needed even if it were 4 tracks, as long as they're all at the proper (ugly) spacing. But by keeping it all to spec, it'd mean that individual pieces can be used wherever. This way if I build one we can use it with BANTRAK, but if, say, Dave V did one, he could break up the western scenery at his local group and show them some REAL railroading...

And you know the beautiful part of NTRAK modules? If you want a grade, just adjust the leveling bolts.

You got to have the 4 tracks. Having an extra track is not a problem with NTRAK specs.

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 12:50:09 PM »
Nice! I'd love to meet John one of these days.

And yeah, the signals will be key. But, as you can see, you have plenty of time.

Think we could persuade you to join in on our endeavor? I know you don't have a great allegiance to any one road, and I know you'll be done with the USMRR at some point... :-)

Sure, why not. As soon as Brian and Lee get Moose lake out of my garage, I'll be needing to build a module.
I bet we can get JD and Brian Brendel to sign up too. Maybe I can build the steel mills at Johnstown?????

Come to think of it, I think JD's MG Cabin is built to a modular standard, or at least sectional.  He is building his layout in sections so he can wire them without crawling around underneath.

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 12:58:30 PM »
I wanna do this I just dont have space for a module...bastards!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 12:59:58 PM »
Awesome!

I think I'm going to go setup a website for it all, since that's what I do. What do you think of Milepost242.org?

Or maybe I'll start small with something on blogger. Yeah.