Author Topic: Weekend Update 7/5/2009  (Read 4796 times)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: Weekend Update 7/5/2009
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 05:07:46 PM »
Alex: I think that would be a killer photo if the DoF was increased dramatically.

e-dude: really good colors and textures (and photoshopping).

qantaqa

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 05:22:51 PM »
been working on planning a layout for a while... soon as I come up with a viable plan for the space I have, something changes.  Finally decided to take the advice given to me here a year or so ago, and build the servicing area for the main layout to come.  Here's the start of it:

Cheers!

Guilford Guy

• Crew
  • hates trains
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 05:30:35 PM »
Yeah, a friend of mine commented on how it looks almost like a Tilt Shift photo. Should probably start saving for a DSLR after I finish scenery on the layout.
if you can't conduct yourself, conduct freight

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 06:10:04 PM »
Accomplished 2 things.  After alot of swearing, cursing, more swearing and trying to keep my temper, I finally managed to get the body off of my red GG-1 and get  a decoder installed.  Works good now.  On the down side my MRC unit for some reason will not let me program anything.  Works fine with units I have but will not program. 

The other things I got done was converting some slides taken in England in Feb 1984 while I took a few days leave with a railpass.  Got about a dozen finished which I'll post on Proto Photo Thursday.

Zox

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 08:54:02 PM »
Qantaqa, that is one serious roundhouse you're laying out there. Are you trying to replicate a particular prototype?

As for me, I'm looking at everyone's work and feeling outclassed as usual. :-\

Progress on the bridge continues, though slower than I'd like:

Yes, the crossarms on the telephone pole are supposed to be that crooked. :) Still need to look at tapering the pole, though--I've gotten some good suggestions from here that I'll be experimenting with.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 09:16:06 PM by Zox »
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +446
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 09:20:38 PM »
When I went outside to take some pictures the lens on the camera fogged up.  Thought it looked pretty convincing as a foggy day shot so I took a few pictures.  Here's the best:

Aaron Bearden

stuntman

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2009, 09:33:03 PM »
i looked at my layout/mess - does that count

Hah!  That's what I did. :( :'(

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2009, 09:33:47 PM »
weekend's not over - i started CLEANING out the mess in the layout space.  it's supposed to be nice this week, so i'm going to clean out the rest of the area and put the junk on the porch so i can take it to the dump.  any one in my area want to help who has a pickup truck?  then i can start the benchwork.

still waffling on a prototype and trackplan.  hehe.

-steve
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2009, 10:01:28 PM »
Finally decided to take the advice given to me here a year or so ago, and build the servicing area for the main layout to come.

That's how I decided to start my layout too.  I can't wait to see the roundhouse built.  All I can say is be careful about the outside wall alignment.  A little mistake here and there will add up to a big problem at the end.

This week, I got 90% of the way through my next project.  (Well, after chopping the project into two projects...)  I have the third of four plants installed in my signal system, all except one signal.  This is the last simple plant.  The last one protects two facing switches instead of just one, so it has an additional double-arm signal.  Those signals are built, I just have to test the electronics, install the electronics, paint them, and install the signals on the layout.

Now on to photos!

Here are the Alkem bases, heads, and LED assemblies for the last two plants.  The little spindly bits on the left and right are the diode assemblies that drive the center lamp with all three aspects.

Here is the third plant installed and operating.

And one more parting shot.  Can you say, "Pennsy?"
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5415
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2009, 10:05:17 PM »
Worked on cleaning up some details.  Ran a few trains between hamburgers and sparklers...

Lee
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 10:07:44 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

RockGp40

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +274
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009, 10:34:48 PM »
As the proud new owner of a friend's layout, see the ad nauseum  ;D thread "So long, old friend", I am pleased to offer a photo of the new power plying the rails:

Rock GP35 #322 leads a local manifest on Dave Foxx's Virginia Midland. In the background, Rock GP40 #3000 spots a load on a customer's spur. Please note the car (sorry Lee) behind the GP35, in Dave's honor since I don't own any RF&P rolling stock, yet.

Now I know the photo sucks, but its what I can offer at this point.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 10:36:36 PM by RockGp40 »
No farms, no food. Support your local farmer's market!

I stand with Israel.

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 12:05:14 AM »
My uh contribution this week is this two stall garage I just finished for my Z scale layout.It is a rather crappy picture but I wanted everything to show in the picture  ;D

Decided to post the second pic it is darker but shows more detail. ;D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 07:40:05 AM by Catt »
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

qantaqa

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 12:27:49 AM »
No specific prototype, really, but I'm trying to follow the N&W Williamson W.Va "example" for modern steam servicing, including the Lubratorium...  ;D

My current concern involves the height differences between the edge of the TT pit and the foundation; the back walls are a ways down the road, but I planned to build the thing pretty much in place, once the rail is mounted.  I've got the base assembled into two-nine stall segments, and a base coat of paint sprayed on everything except the roof pieces.  Here's the window frames that got sprayed since my last post:

Couldn't stand the "wagon wheel" TT pit, and the servicing pits needed sprayed, too:

Soon as I figure out how I want to electrically isolate stalls, I will blacken the rails, then glue them in.  Tried Pliobond (failed after a month, but it may have been kinda old store stock).  Going to try Walthers Goo, next.  I'm considering pc board ties, or some of the Proto87 ties and tieplates, but I've had some trouble getting those tiny tieplates in gauge.

Thanks, and cheers!

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 07:35:37 AM »
As the proud new owner of a friend's layout, see the ad nauseum  ;D thread "So long, old friend", I am pleased to offer a photo of the new power plying the rails:

Rock GP35 #322 leads a local manifest on Dave Foxx's Virginia Midland. In the background, Rock GP40 #3000 spots a load on a customer's spur. Please note the car (sorry Lee) behind the GP35, in Dave's honor since I don't own any RF&P rolling stock, yet.

Now I know the photo sucks, but its what I can offer at this point.

That's leased power, right?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2897
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 08:19:22 AM »
Actually, it's on its way to Larry's Truck Electric :)