Author Topic: MTL confirms "scale width hood" on MTL SD40-2's  (Read 9736 times)

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +435
    • Modutrak
MTL confirms "scale width hood" on MTL SD40-2's
« on: June 21, 2009, 11:19:53 PM »
Seriously, they told a buddy of mine that asked at this weekend's show that it was scale width.  Must have been the marketing guy...

It's scale, it's just that the width scale doesn't match the length scale or height scale.   :P

Also, that's a Kato unit I had handy... which is probably wide to begin with, so really someone should find a top-down shot of the prototype. 

nscalesteve

Re: MTL confirms "scale width hood" on MTL SD40-2's
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 12:13:56 AM »
...and what is that ?

MTLJoe

• Crew
  • Respect: +770
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 03:06:56 PM »
Actually nothing was confirmed...the Comptroller was asked and he's in no position to confirm anything other than the amount of money we have in the bank or how much my 401K lost this past year.  ;D Yes it's wide...been there, done that.

Joe
MTL
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 03:53:23 PM by Shipsure »

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +956
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 03:17:53 PM »
I knew these weren't going to be scale a year ago...and I didn't have to go to a train show! ;D

I would rather them be scale, but I still want to see how they look if the walkways are narrowed, to keep the overall width in check and to avoid the truck overhang look.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 04:20:24 PM »
And at least the handrails are straight.

MTLJoe

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 05:20:44 PM »
And the one thing I wasn't responsible for!   ;D

Joe

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 08:14:44 PM »
The only real fault I can find with them is that by the time they finally get here I'll be to damn old to remember why I wanted them in the first place.  ;D
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 03:18:17 AM »
Joe,

If it's still possible see if the exhaust vent can be corrected... It's a glaring wart on a otherwise fine model. (mind you a little plus size  ;D)
Swimming in a sea of Action Red...

MTLJoe

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 06:47:44 PM »
Ya, that does look a bit odd, but I'll review the blueprints and see what tooling can whip up.

Thanks!

Joe

Joe,

If it's still possible see if the exhaust vent can be corrected... It's a glaring wart on a otherwise fine model. (mind you a little plus size  ;D)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +4070
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 07:36:16 PM »
I really doubt they will change something that is all ready to go.

shamoo737

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 11:39:15 PM »
Anybody has a profile shot. It looks like a CSX SD40. ;D
John

MTLJoe

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 01:51:48 PM »
correct. ;D

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +3204
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 04:17:35 PM »
You know, if you want really accurate models, may I introduce you to my old friend O Scale?

Fer cripe sakes, these things will be whipping around in cute little coffee table layouts, not being used for an historical retrospective on the development of the diesel locomotive.  The out of scale width is probably attributable to the thickness of the plastic.  I know there's a GP diesel out there with brass inserts to achieve a more scale appearance, and that's very clever.  But (not to sound too much like an HO scaler) who the hell can really see it without the aid of a photo enlargement?

But press on...  Someone may stop rolling their eyes long enough to re-tool the whole project for you.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 04:24:12 PM »
You know, if you want really accurate models, may I introduce you to my old friend O Scale?

Fer cripe sakes, these things will be whipping around in cute little coffee table layouts, not being used for an historical retrospective on the development of the diesel locomotive.  The out of scale width is probably attributable to the thickness of the plastic.  I know there's a GP diesel out there with brass inserts to achieve a more scale appearance, and that's very clever.  But (not to sound too much like an HO scaler) who the hell can really see it without the aid of a photo enlargement?

But press on...  Someone may stop rolling their eyes long enough to re-tool the whole project for you.

Lee

1948 called, they want their rant on HO scale from a crotchety O scaler back.

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 04:38:23 PM »
Fer cripe sakes, these things will be whipping around in cute little coffee table layouts, not being used for an historical retrospective on the development of the diesel locomotive.  The out of scale width is probably attributable to the thickness of the plastic.  I know there's a GP diesel out there with brass inserts to achieve a more scale appearance, and that's very clever.  But (not to sound too much like an HO scaler) who the hell can really see it without the aid of a photo enlargement?
But press on...  Someone may stop rolling their eyes long enough to re-tool the whole project for you.
Lee

That's the largest pile of cow manure I've read in quite some time... congrats  :P
Swimming in a sea of Action Red...