Author Topic: Undoing factory glue  (Read 781 times)

bigdawgks

• Crew
  • Respect: +172
Undoing factory glue
« on: February 02, 2022, 05:51:32 PM »
Hi folks. I think one of the biggest sins any manufacturer of ready to run models can commit is to glue things together. At least when I find myself needing to tear down and strip models to be ready for (re)painting, or even just installation decoders or lights, it is always frustrating to find a delicate part that I wish to remove intact is very firmly bonded to the shell, especially if it's already firmly secured without the glue (why would they do it?  :? )

Anyway, does anybody have any good tips for loosening or otherwise debonding factory applied glue with minimal damage to the plastic? I've got CA debonder but ghat stuff eats through plastic like crazy and will quickly ruin a model. Thanks, and sorry if I missed an already obvious thread discussing this.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
Re: Undoing factory glue
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 06:12:14 PM »
I usually start by putting it in the Freezer overnight.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

BobRunty

• Crew
  • Respect: +49
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 02:35:17 PM »
Someone should ask Broadway Limited, they continue to glue the windows in undecorated locos.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4591
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 04:44:46 PM »
Why manufacturers glue parts (on decorated models)?  Because they don't expect the models will ever need to be taken apart. 
Why this is done for undecorated models? That is a good question.  I can think of couple possible reasons.

1. The reason for selling undercoated models is not clearly conveyed to the overseas factory producing those models, so they just follow their standard assembly process.  Most of those factory workers or management likely have no clue what those bare gray plastic models will be used for.   Language barrier could be part of this problem.

2. The overseas factory simply refuses to modify their assembly processes, so they do what they want: see point 1.

The weirdest example of cluelessness at the overseas factory was some undec. Life-Like locos I bough some years ago.  Yes, they were "undecorated", but those gray shells were not bare plastic.  The gray plastic was actually "decorated" with gray primer!!  So much for keeping my custom paint thickness to minimum.  I had to strip the primer to get the shell into its virgin state!

Part of the problem is also the way the models are designed; They are designed to be assembled with glue.  Kato designers are skilled enough to design their models with perfectly fitting parts for glue-less assembly.  While their models might not be the most detailed, the ease of assembly and disassembly is most welcome for me. Kato has it figured out!
. . . 42 . . .

bigdawgks

• Crew
  • Respect: +172
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 06:06:54 PM »
So I was not aware of the freezing trick but it wasn't super helpful for me. Specifically I'm interested in best techniques for really delicate parts like railings/grab irons or pipes/hoses that are usually fit into mounting holes, but are often also glued into said holes.