Author Topic: MTL Bay Window Cab. On time but Two roadnames to start.  (Read 11986 times)

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +607
Re: MTL Bay Window Cab. On time but Two roadnames to start.
« Reply #120 on: May 30, 2009, 12:28:46 AM »
The SP version seems to be a hit. Orders opened today. When I called today at around 1pm EST to place our order MT was already iffy on how many we would actually get. Not quite the sellout of the PanAm car but I assume they are all gone from MT by now.
Tony Hines

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2009, 07:26:03 AM »
We weren't going to order any extra's anyway. We're moving to a bigger location in 5 weeks or so and need to get rid of stuff rather than carry alot more. We're gonna have a moving sale for the next month. Never thought I'd see that happen, but then I never thought we'd need a semi to move it all.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +243
« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2009, 10:00:10 AM »
As for the roof and the bays...more than just new holes.   Depending what style gives us the best range, a new pattern would be appropriate.  If I were to need new openings, I could do it with an arbor press or one of the CNC Mills.  We have some body styles that require secondary machining to remove details for specific roads.

Welllll then... Joe, please consider the WP's cars. The ICC-built later cabooses have the same roof as the SP car and even the WP historical society mentioned the new MT cars as being an almost dead ringer for them. It was a small run but they're blank on one side, with a smallish curved corner window on the other.

But the 426-460 series, 1955 era ICC cars, is what I really need. I hope you'll consider a new roof (diagonal panel) and bay (sloped roof) to match those. I suppose I could cut the three windows myself if need be.

Have you considered offering different window castings so those who want proto-specific can do so on their own? (I know, 'Do it on their own?')

BTW, what's the build or service date on that new PC boxcar?
Emergency Manager (Noun)

1. A person who solves problems you can't.

2. One who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

See also: wizard, magician, miracle worker

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +607
« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2009, 10:52:10 AM »
We weren't going to order any extra's anyway. We're moving to a bigger location in 5 weeks or so and need to get rid of stuff rather than carry alot more. We're gonna have a moving sale for the next month. Never thought I'd see that happen, but then I never thought we'd need a semi to move it all.

We did the same about 3 years ago. Went from under 2000 sq ft to close to 6000 sq ft and had the space all filled up in the first week. We started wondering if we should have gone bigger. It was amazing how much stuff we had crammed in the old store. The move was a total PITA but the best thing we could have done for the store. Sales have increased steadily by double digits percentage points each year since. Things that we never sold at the other store were selling out, because people could find them now.
Tony Hines

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +169
« Reply #124 on: May 31, 2009, 02:13:24 AM »
I too vote for the B&O caboose.  In fact, right now I'm in the process of making a master of them using the old Walthers bay window cab as a base (I need about 15 and my dad needs about 10).  I've done quite a bit of research on them.

The good news is that only ONE BODY covers ALL of B&O's later cabooses for the last 20 years of its existence! There were two roof styles (one pre-Chessie, one post-Chessie) and three bay window styles (you could probably fudge with two: one pre-Chessie, one post-Chessie).

There's also about 15-20 paint schemes you could do ranging from B&O blue to CSX--many of them unique, such as the safety cars.

I have a lot more info if you're interested.  And there's a few people here that live near some if you need measurements. It would be great if I could retire my master before it's even finished. 8)
Aaron Bearden

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +391
« Reply #125 on: June 01, 2009, 10:13:23 AM »
Eeks, this angle makes it look like a high rider:

The proto for this number series:

http://www.hebners.net/cr/crN5H/cr18435a.jpg

Too bad MT has to use those high angle camera shots ...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 10:16:05 AM by NandW »

MTLJoe

• Crew
  • Respect: +779
« Reply #126 on: June 01, 2009, 10:39:25 AM »
yea I would like to see the shots a bit lower too, but this angle lets the buyer see as much of the car as possible.  I am working on some scenic displays as well so we can look at putting the car in a realistic setting and see how that looks.

Joe
MTL

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #127 on: June 01, 2009, 10:29:19 PM »
Joe,
For future consideration...a B&O prototype bay-window

T

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2009, 08:33:13 AM »
With a better paint job of course! ;D

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +1337
« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2009, 10:22:44 AM »
Eeks, this angle makes it look like a high rider:

The proto for this number series:

http://www.hebners.net/cr/crN5H/cr18435a.jpg

Too bad MT has to use those high angle camera shots ...

If that angle makes it look high , only a higher angle would deguise the effect , no ?