Author Topic: FVM Milwaukee Road Box  (Read 9968 times)

Matt G

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: FVM Milwaukee Road Box
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 10:41:32 PM »
Hi Guys,

First, Thanks for the kind comments. These cars came out really well and I'm very happy with them. The Billboard scheme cars will ship in few weeks and there are still a few Hiawatha versions left.

As for the ends, fair question, but in the future you guys may want to ask around a bit more or do some research before posting things like "Spongebob" or "Shhhhh". These types of post clearly allude that there is something wrong, when actually it is not. One photo does not make a car series........

Several different types of ends were used on these cars. This more square end was used on various 40' and 50' cars. Keep in mind that all ends were not half round "bulb" type ribs either and that round corners in N scale start to get small. So with that info, I've posted a few pics and Milw drawings showing the more square ribs. Try this link:

http://foxvalleymodels.com/pics.html

Towards the top of the page is a drawing that shows how the ends were more angular and even show that wood beams were placed behind them. Then there are several photos. As you look at them, notice the ends with the lumber door and how the plane that it is on follows down through the ribs. The best photo is the last one looking down on the end of the car- you can sight the flat plane of the rib tops all the way down.  (Sorry, I do not have a hi-res scanner) Hopefully they are clear enough that you can make out that they are not half-round shapes at all. I'll leave the link active for a week or two and hope this helps clear up some of the questions on the ends.

Jason and Bryan - no worries. Buy a few cars and enjoy them :) Rob, I know it's tough to do good research somedays, but for a habitual basher, I expect more from you ;D Still waiting for you to jump in the deep end with your own  product line  ;)

Thanks again for your support of these cars. It is really an experiment to see if road specifc items will do well and it's off to a great start. BTW, the cars with the yellow band were 50' cars and I'm sorry to say they are not on the short list at the moment. But the future may certainly hold more Milw stuff! Other projects are in the works and you'll hear about them soon.

Best regards,

Matt
www.foxvalleymodels.com

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 10:51:18 PM »
Well done Matt.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1109
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 11:41:50 PM »
Matt, my comment was actually only directed at the taper and bevel on the tops and bottoms of the ribs like both the drawings you posted illustrate.  It'll be easy enough to compare when my cars arrive.  It's just, from the posted picture, there doesn't appear to be much of a taper or bevel which give them a 'square' look.

Hopefully I'm dead wrong.  8)

Jason

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 11:54:32 PM »
I have to agree in the photo's you posted the ribs are still beveled where on the model they look to be at a 90 degree angle...

not something that would stop me from buying it and all in all it looks like a excellent looking car, but if there's a nit to pick don't deny it embrace it  :)
Swimming in a sea of Action Red...

Matt G

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 01:03:52 AM »
You guys are making me work tonight ;) Besides, I like nits!

I agree they look less beveled. They are certainly more towards 90 degrees as opposed to the drawn 45 degrees (even drawings lie;). I added another photo. If you look at cars with less shadows, numbers 19500 and 19174, you can tell how sharp they really are - especially the top ribs of 19174 when compared to the flat surface the end number is painted on, and look straight on at 19500 (there is a glare towards the top). Last note - look at 19174 and the brake wheel platform and follow that plane to the top of the rib it's on - cool, eh?

I originally had it drawn like the drawing and the cars looked horrible - all mushy and wavy like. As I brought the angle closer to 90, it looked much better and had that look of rib separation that was on the real thing. So while they are not 90, they certainly can appear that way as it's close- that you can blame on a judgement call - go ahead, I can take it ;D Thanks again and keep having fun!

G'nite

Matt

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 01:29:54 AM »
Matt -

I have several of each on pre-order.    My point is only this...I just don't know of another boxcar that has had more drawings made public or more photographs been made available in railroad publications like a two month series in Mainline Modeler or an excellent series in the Freightcar Encyclopedia that there could be so much doubt, hypothesis or minds eye opinion about the as built appearance of these cars.
I saw the sample cars that Kirk Reddie had last November and thought they were great.
Keep up the good work, seriously.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1109
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 02:54:55 AM »
That's an answer I fully understand.  :D

I'm working on some Pullman 'dart' ends for the IM 1937 cars and have gone back many times because the ribs just don't look right.  When I'm done I'll post them here and you can have a free shot.  8)

Jason

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 03:22:36 AM »
Hi Guys,

As for the ends, fair question, but in the future you guys may want to ask around a bit more or do some research before posting things like "Spongebob" or "Shhhhh". These types of post clearly allude that there is something wrong, when actually it is not. One photo does not make a car series........

Matt
www.foxvalleymodels.com

They allude that something is wrong becuase there IS something wrong, your ends lack the bevels and fillets that the real ones do... here's some more 5/5 Dreadnaught ends manufactured by Standard Railway Equipment...

Several different types of ends were used on these cars.

There are only two types of early Dreadnaught ends (before the change to the Improved Dreadnaught)... the difference being that in 1940 a change was made to the corner post, this had no affect on the design of the end corrugations though (it's affect can be seen of you look at the side of a car, as the end wraps around that new corner post... so the side is not flush as it was on the earlier style, but a semicircle before termianting at the side) The later syle is seen on the MILW rib-sided cars with the ribs not terminating at the ends, before the switch to the 4/4 Improved Dreadnuaght end.  The earlier style of 5/5 Dreadnuaght end was used on the long rib cars.

Robbman

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 03:33:21 AM »
Rob, I know it's tough to do good research somedays, but for a habitual basher, I expect more from you ;D

Matt
www.foxvalleymodels.com

Mat... I know it's tough to do good research somedays, so take the above post that clearly shows how tough of a time you had for free, it's the least I can do for your expectations ;D

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5475
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 03:36:13 AM »
So could this be fixed with a flat file and then have the paint touched up?

I'm still buying them  :P

Robbman

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 04:31:09 AM »
If anybody could do it... you'd be the one, that's for sure!

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 07:54:33 AM »
On an N scale car in a moving train, in a yard or in an industry on a layout. It just won't matter to most. They look great. I think all ours are spoken for, so I don't know if I'll get one on this release. :o

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2875
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 08:12:49 AM »
It just won't matter to most.

But it does seem to matter to some ..

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1233
    • Modutrak
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 08:14:02 AM »
The ends are a little disappointing.  They must have used Intermountain's HO scale drawings to cut the dies.

Intermountain car has entirely different end:

How do you even come up with these comments?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 09:54:14 AM by Skibbe »

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5348
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 08:40:15 AM »
They look good to me. (but then my prescription glasses need updating).  I think you've made a reasonable compromise on the end design to get them to look "right" in N scale.  Sometimes you have do a little theater set thinking to achieve the appearance you're after.

As others have said, I spend more time operating my trains rather than just staring at them, so good enough is good enough!  Especially since the outstanding (and most visible) feature of the car is the ribbed side.  If that was badly done, or the paint scheme botched, you'd have a more valid argument.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net