Author Topic: DC Wiring Problem.....HELP!  (Read 1756 times)

ecarfar

DC Wiring Problem.....HELP!
« on: May 07, 2009, 08:41:16 AM »
OK, so I've built a couple of layouts before, but many years ago so I think I'm losing my mind. I just finished wiring my new N scale layout and I'm getting overload indicators on all three cabs. I want to troubleshoot this with the most basic of questions. First, I ran a common, bare copper ground wire around the entire layout and soldered all of the common track wires to it. I assume that is OK. I then soldered all of the Atlas common turnout wires to that same bus...now, is that OK? I also hooked up all the common wires from each cab with jumpers....meaning I hooked up one terminal from the variable DC, fixed DC and fixed AC all together...it that OK? I just want to get a start on what's wrong here. I had previously wired a amuch more complicated layout in the late 80's and it worked perfectly. I thought I copied that but maybe I'm wrong!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: DC Wiring Problem.....HELP!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 09:34:24 AM »
The turnout commons should probably be on their own circuit.  Your track power is DC, and the accessory line for running turnouts is AC.  I'm thinking that never the twain should meet....

Otherwise, check your vacuum tubes and the flywheel on your generator (DC Cab control is sooo 1950!) ;D ;D
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

ecarfar

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 10:16:06 AM »
The turnout commons should probably be on their own circuit.  Your track power is DC, and the accessory line for running turnouts is AC.  I'm thinking that never the twain should meet....

Otherwise, check your vacuum tubes and the flywheel on your generator (DC Cab control is sooo 1950!) ;D ;D
Lee

I Know, I know....I was trying to do this as inexpensively as possible...but my wife just gave me the go-ahead to put an HO "layout" along the wall near the ceiling all around our basement.  Kind of like a shelf layout 2 tracks wide.  I am doing that in DCC and have my eye on the NCE Procab wireless.  I actually do enjoy the old fashioned cab control model railroad control...my daughter says it makes me feel like I'm a king.....

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 06:31:02 PM »
what do you mean by the turnout commons?

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 08:12:32 PM »
Sounds like a snap track issue... remember there's a green, red and black wire that sticks out of the track side casket?...
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 12:03:28 PM »
The commons have to be separate unless each type of power is from a unique transformer. This is the only way common rail will work. If you have an individual pack for each cab, the commons can be connected together. Same would apply if you have a dual pack that has dual transformers inside (most don't).
For the switch motors, you would need another transformer or a separate bus for the switch commons. Your choice on that. Personally, I'd add the extra bus. It makes trouble shooting easier if the turnouts are on their own circuit and you can still throw them while searching for a track power problem.

Martin Myers