Author Topic: Harbor switching shelf layout  (Read 21001 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5510
Harbor switching shelf layout
« on: March 07, 2009, 02:39:24 AM »
Figured I would post this to a thread and keep updating, maybe that way I will keep working on it. It is a N scale switching layout that is freelance, but based on the many New York harbor terminals that were isolated and only reached by a car float. The basic plan is from Bernard Kempinski in the MRP 2003:

I am not modeling the same area, but liked the plan. So mine will be a fictitious terminal of the Erie. I don't have any fancy track planning software, but here is my adaptation in CAD:

Bernard's plan used two 10"x36" sections. I will use a 12"x48" section on the right and a 14.5"x48" section on the left.

Behind the car float will be a pier with a scratch built fruit company warehouse for reefers. Above that will be a scratch built coal dealer like many of the terminals in the Bronx had. Above that is some sort of warehouse based on Walther's American Hardware and another large business left of that built from Walther's Modulars. The foreground will have a small engine house and team track area to the right. The plan isn't an exact match of what I'm building, but close enough. The frames for each section are built as well as a 5 turnout cluster that sits over the gap.

I have a HH660 and NW2 with a 44T coming soon and someday a boxcab that could all be used for motive power.

You can read more on the NYC terminals here: http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/IndustrialLocos.html

We will see where it goes from here  ;D

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Re: Harbor switching shelf layout
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 07:37:56 AM »
On your plan all I show is a 90 degree crossing painted red . That will save space a lot .  ;D

Richie Dost

JDouglasFisher

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 09:11:29 AM »
New York Harbor Railroads are as interesting and varied as class 1's. I actually planned out a railroad called the Gowanus Bay Railway and Transportation Company which operated in the environs of the Gowanus Basin.

I gave up on it at the time because unfortunately, I couldn't justify operations in Modern Day (living right outside NY, its nearly impossible for a maritime railroad to make money when truck traffic can do it with little restriction)

Still, for earlier periods (pre-1980) its very plausible.

IIRC, I think Byron Henderson is doing something similar but for San Francisco bay...

J.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8017
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 05:14:08 PM »
Chris, did you listen to that ModelRailCast episode about these?

3rdrail

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 05:29:44 PM »
On your plan all I show is a 90 degree crossing painted red . That will save space a lot .  ;D

Chris, there's something wrong with the URL of your plan. Richie's right, all that's showing is the dreaded "X". I'd have modified it for you, but I can't figure out what's wrong.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 05:41:02 PM »
Maybe it was because I sized it to 800 before uploading, so there is no size in the url  ???

I didn't see it. Do I need a ipod to view it? I just went to the site and I can't figure out what it even is.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 06:00:06 PM »

Chris, there's something wrong with the URL of your plan. Richie's right, all that's showing is the dreaded "X". I'd have modified it for you, but I can't figure out what's wrong.

He was using a direct 'right-click' link which doesn't contain the 's800' in the URL like the first pic.

Jason

3rdrail

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 06:51:46 PM »
Thanks, Jason.

Chris, you planning to use the layout to run your Erie 0-6-0? How's it coming, BTW? Oh, but an Ingersoll-Rand boxcab or an Alco HH600 would look good here, too.

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 07:23:55 PM »
The Bachmann 0-6-0T with a better drive and some details would be good too .

http://www.trainweb.org/bedt/bedt/BEDT14.html

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 07:32:14 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 07:30:49 PM »
Chris, this is just too spooky. Last night I was looking at this image (and a bunch like it) and musing about a possible project not unlike yours.

3rdrail

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 07:40:37 PM »
Have fun laying some turnouts:

Kinda partial to 15 myself:

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8017
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 07:48:31 PM »
Maybe it was because I sized it to 800 before uploading, so there is no size in the url  ???

I didn't see it. Do I need a ipod to view it? I just went to the site and I can't figure out what it even is.

You don't need an ipod, but iTunes helps. I think you can just download the mp3s though. Just hit the "listen" link at the bottom of each post.

I think the one you want is this one:
http://modelrailcast.com/MrcBlog/Show47.asp

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 07:53:11 PM »
The problem with the BEDT 0-6-0T's is the "T". Erie had their own 0-6-0T at the 28th street yard.
http://www.nyhrr.com/Erie.htm
It was enclosed for the horses, then once the boxcab came along it was used to power a transfer table. My Erie 0-6-0 still needs domes turned for it, but I have not seen steam with a tender used at any of these terminals.

Erie had a terminal in the Bronx right up from where David's photo was taken. This is the trackplan for it:

http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/errhs.html
I could model it to scale in about 3'x3', but that curve would be about 7.5"R. Plus it just looks king of boring. It is where Erie's only 44T was used. Even thought this overhead gantry wasn't being used, it was still there for maintenance. I will need to include one on the layout:
http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/errhsfb.jpg

I need to take some pics as I already have 7 turnouts built and laid.

Check out the tiny 0-4-0 boxcab the PRR used here:
http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/prrn4.html
If anyone had plans for #403 let me know.  ;)

3rdrail

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 08:24:59 PM »
Wow! That's LIRR 403-A. The LIRR used it as a pair with 403-B and they were the LIRR's first Diesels. PRR had 4 A6's, each different.

But, that's one helluva website. I sure Chulvis will want to look at the Astoria Light & Power segment.

BTW, the reason I mentioned 4 axle Diesels is I do not think you can run a switching layout on N scale with an 0-6-0T - too likely to stall.

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 09:47:48 PM »
Chris , on that 2 axle boxcab , maybe a Kato center cab Pocket Loco with a highly modified caboose body might do as a starting point .

Richie Dost