Author Topic: So how tall is this building and other needed architectural clues.  (Read 3079 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: So how tall is this building and other needed architectural clues.
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 09:23:20 AM »
Are you building a flat, or just making an image for the back drop?
If you're building a flat, you're going to be beholden to commercially available window castings, so you would adjust your height and width to keep things proportional.

If you have a program that lets you draw to dimension, I would just guesstimate it to start, then monkey around with it until it looks right.

Massing and proportion are more important in building a presentational model than raw dimensions.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: So how tall is this building and other needed architectural clues.
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 12:09:44 PM »
"If you have a program that lets you draw to dimension, I would just guesstimate it to start, then monkey around with it until it looks right.
"

That's basically what I did.  If found the building on the Sanborn maps which told me the width and depth and then brought the picture into a 3D program.  From there I fit a box to the pespective of the photo as best as I could.

FWIW, the upper floors are 10' w/6' windows.  It's about 97' to the underside of the roof.  This building in particular is way in the background, but can be seen from two different views as the CGW makes a 90deg turn about halfway through town.

Jason