Author Topic: skinnying the MT GP35  (Read 3783 times)

scaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
skinnying the MT GP35
« on: February 05, 2009, 08:57:05 PM »
This is probably the only Z forum I  can ask this kind of question, and it's only hypothetical  . . .  but . . .

Is it possible to remove the 'fatness' out of the MT GP35, say by cutting the shell in half, removing 1mm or so from the centre, filing some plastic from inside the hood walls so it fits over the mechanism, and then regluing ?

It's a nice engine, and the detail is crisp, but that extra width just reminds me of Bachmann's SD40-2:

http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/bachsd40-2.html

And that's a memory I don't want.

Ben

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: skinnying the MT GP35
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 09:07:35 PM »
Ben, I think it can be done, but it would not do to just cut the shell in half and plop it back together. The fans run down the middle, so they'd get trashed (unless you're ready to make all new ones). Plus, the wideness at the ends of the shells resides in the angled parts, and you'd lose the headlights and the flat parts they're on.

I think a more workable approach would be to make two thin slices, each just behind the sides. This would tend to remove the material where the most of the fatness was added. But once the shell is thinned, the question then becomes, what to do with it? It won't fit back on the M-T mechanism, and it also won't fit on the AZL mech, either--unless you very carefully remove some of the inside of the shell around the motor, bringing the plastic down to near paper thin. As I say, doable, but a lot of work.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1243
    • Modutrak
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 09:57:36 PM »
David's spot on... it's doable just like anything is doable.  You can dig out old RMC's (where Jim Six and company were chopping Athearn HO wide body diesels into 30 odd pieces and reassembling them...) for inspiration.  But, they were able to swap out to skinnier motors to make the mechanism work. 

An easier way to shave a few mm would be to etch a whole new body shell.  It might come close to scale width, still figuring you'd need a layer of electrical tape or sheet vinyl between the mech and brass body shell to keep it from shorting. 

Or, I figure if Z scale does start to take off, someone will do another GP, like a 38-2, and do it right.  So, in the meantime I'm spending 5 mins to widen the trucks on mine and waiting for a new player in Z, or just AZL, so I can replace them with better units in the future. 

scaro

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 07:14:20 AM »
Thank you gentlemen. 

Mmm, paper thin plastic sounds like a recipe for melted shell.  I'm not really up on the techniques for etching so I think I'll stick with Nn3 and see what eventuates over the next few years in Z.   Pity as a bit of Rock Island in Z would have been nice.   

Ben   

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 08:11:28 AM »
Ben,

Have you seen this:

http://jamesriverbranch.net/review_1.htm

So you have other options if you want scale-looking locomotives.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 08:59:54 AM »
Also... I have heard a rumor that AZL is working on a GP30. Myself, I'm very hopeful that it's true...

scaro

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 11:26:51 AM »
Ben,

Have you seen this:

http://jamesriverbranch.net/review_1.htm

So you have other options if you want scale-looking locomotives.

Gday Tom

Yes, I have.  I said on the Yahoo Z forum something along the lines of it being one of the most reasoned and best thought through bits of model railway writing that I had ever read. Period.   I'm not sure that stands me in good stead with the Phatt Hoodie Posse, but I'm sure I'll live. 

Ben

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 11:39:43 AM »

Gday Tom

Yes, I have.  I said on the Yahoo Z forum something along the lines of it being one of the most reasoned and best thought through bits of model railway writing that I had ever read. Period.   I'm not sure that stands me in good stead with the Phatt Hoodie Posse, but I'm sure I'll live. 

Ben

Yeah, that Smith guy is pretty good.

I'm in the same boat as you.  I would like to get a Z scale engine and make a little switching layout, but the Z scale engines on the market are working against me because of width and/or cost.  Maybe someday.

Mark4

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • http://www.mark4design.com
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 02:10:19 AM »

Or, I figure if Z scale does start to take off, someone will do another GP, like a 38-2, and do it right.  So, in the meantime I'm spending 5 mins to widen the trucks on mine and waiting for a new player in Z, or just AZL, so I can replace them with better units in the future. 

Mike,
AZL have announced an update of the old Rogue GP38 with a new chassis based on the GP7. A 34' bolster-center EMD is probably THE most versatile mechanism of any North American diesel to shoot for. The original Rogue shell looks poorly proportioned in the photos I have seen but the prospect of a (relatively) low cost loco gives me ideas for a plethora of GPs.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 02:43:28 PM »

Mike,
AZL have announced an update of the old Rogue GP38 with a new chassis based on the GP7. A 34' bolster-center EMD is probably THE most versatile mechanism of any North American diesel to shoot for. The original Rogue shell looks poorly proportioned in the photos I have seen but the prospect of a (relatively) low cost loco gives me ideas for a plethora of GPs.

Yeah, I can't wait for this one.  A "low cost" mechanism, hopefully in line with MTL prices or better, that can accept a scale width hood will make my aspirations of modern BNSF that much closer to reality.  Perfactory shells plus photo etched side panels, how easy can it get?

Mike

Mark4

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 03:58:08 PM »

...how easy can it get?

Mike

:o Words an engineer should never use...   ;)

ztrack

• Crew
  • Working to drive Z to all new levels!
  • Respect: +233
    • Ztrack
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 06:46:46 PM »
The GP30 from AZL is going to be a reality!

AZL just posted this photo and others up on Trainboard. Also check out the photos of the RDC!

The GP38-2 is going to be great! I pulled out my samples and found that the AZL shell is indeed narrower than the GP35. It may be just a touch wider than the GP7 (and I mean very slight, a scale inch or two). It can benefit by a few extra details, but it will be a wonderful starter locomotive.

Rob
Z, turning N on it's side since 1972
www.ztrack.com
www.ztrackcenter.com
www.ztrackresale.com

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 09:40:55 PM »

...how easy can it get?

Mike

So you heard about the 75' antenna tower that fell off of Village Hall last week?     ::)

Mark4

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 04:31:52 AM »

...how easy can it get?

Mike

So you heard about the 75' antenna tower that fell off of Village Hall last week?     ::)

That would never happen here. All our antennae are metric :)...

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 07:20:12 AM »
...how easy can it get?
Mike

That would never happen here. All our antennae are metric :)...

Laugh of the day  ;D
James Costello
Espee into the 90's