Author Topic: Would I need a decoder for each car?  (Read 2346 times)

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
Would I need a decoder for each car?
« on: February 04, 2009, 10:03:52 PM »
After a long and hard decision and based on the fact of what majority of my rolling stock is going to be comprised of, I have decided to install DCC in all my engines and powered cars (explain later) as I acquire them, starting with my recent acquisition of a Kato Narita Express (N'EX) train which is non-DCC ready, but does have directional lighting for the end cars and factory installed lighting.  My passenger rooster will consist of at least 4-6 of these trains in a 6 car train sets

This has lead me to a couple of questions.

1.  With majority of my passenger rolling stock the actual powered car is usually in the middle of the train or behind the lead cars, would I need to install a decoder in every car in the train to turn the lights on and off in each car?  Is it even necessary to do this?

2.  Will having a DCC based layout effect the operation the factory installed directional lights?  If so would a regular decoder do the ob or should I get a special decoder?

3.  What other decoders would you guys recommend, besides the Kato recommended Digitrax DZ123, DZ143, and DN122K2?
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
Re: Would I need a decoder for each car?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 10:51:05 PM »
You need a decoder that controls mlotor speed and direction in the powered unit. DZ123 has been replaced by the DZ125. DN122K2 is a plug and pray decoder designed for the RDC's but I'm not familiar with the insides of your train.
I like the DZ125 over the other two. It's smaller and  cheaper than the DZ143 and you may not even need its two functions,. Both have back emf if desired.

The lead and tail units need only a function decoder like the TL1. This will give you directional lighting. There's also the TL4 which has more lighting options than the TL1 but may be overkill. Program both decoders to the same address as the powered unit.

For interior lighted cars, I'd use track power with no decoders. Maybe add a resistor or diodes to drop the voltage down for the desired lighting effect.

Martin Myers

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:12:49 PM »
Do the TL-1s have F0 forward and reverse?

Jason

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 05:37:37 PM »
You need a decoder that controls mlotor speed and direction in the powered unit. DZ123 has been replaced by the DZ125. DN122K2 is a plug and pray decoder designed for the RDC's but I'm not familiar with the insides of your train.
I like the DZ125 over the other two. It's smaller and  cheaper than the DZ143 and you may not even need its two functions,. Both have back emf if desired.

The lead and tail units need only a function decoder like the TL1. This will give you directional lighting. There's also the TL4 which has more lighting options than the TL1 but may be overkill. Program both decoders to the same address as the powered unit.

For interior lighted cars, I'd use track power with no decoders. Maybe add a resistor or diodes to drop the voltage down for the desired lighting effect.

Martin Myers

Thanks for the help, I started taking the motor car apart already just to get a feel for what I will be dealing with, boy is it cramped in there from what I can tell.

Right now I am stuck on taking off the cover that looks like seats off (set-up is similar to Kato's RDC).  I even took off the motor clip (small white clip) in efforts to get it off.

I will try again later tonight, when I build up enough courage again, with the parts having to be directly ordered from Kato Japan I am scared of breaking things.

Also with the extra wires with the DZ125 used for the lighting, can I just cut them or cap them?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:43:42 PM by One of One-Sixty »
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 10:39:27 PM »

Also with the extra wires with the DZ125 used for the lighting, can I just cut them or cap them?

Yes, just cut them short and insulate the ends of the blue, white and yellow wires.

Do the TL-1s have F0 forward and reverse?

Yes they do have directional lighting.

Martin Myers

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 04:01:29 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys, I ordered 1 TL1 and 1 DZ125 which came in today, I only order 1 TL1 just in case I can't install it in one car I wont have two decoders sitting. So I installed the DZ125 with no problems, but boy was my hand shaking taking the motor car apart as everything was clipped on and so small I was really scared of breaking things.  It seemed like eternity taking everything about and soldering the decoder in, but after time and patience I can say I actually did it. 

Now armed with my new found confidence I moved on to the lead car, took everything apart in a matter of minutes and that's when trouble began.  Test fitting the TL1 seemed like it would be simple especially with it's size, but after 4 test fitting I realized no matter how much I wiggle and finesse it in it would not fit properly with the shell and the light board of where I want to place it.

So I am gonna try something different and move it back further into the body of the car instead of the nose.  My plan is to stick it sideways hoping that it will not look to out of place and can hide it with the people I plan on gluing in there.

I have this week off so I will definitely have plenty of time to work on this.

One question though as I said in my first post I am very new to DCC, and after reading Digitrax website and the manuals for the decoders I have I just want to make sure I understand this correctly.  With Function Only decoders I can program them with the same address as my mobile one with no problems this way I can control all aspects of my train without programming different addresses for each part of the train?

Also would I have to worry about having two Function Only decoders with the same address?

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 11:52:41 PM »
You can program as many as you want to the same address. Decoders with motor control will respond to speed and direction commands, those without will just sit there and wait for something they can do. Send a light command and the function decoders will respond.

Martin Myers